The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Music Baltica
Old 9th December 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
Music Baltica, now on Soundcloud

Small university 40 pc choir, wintery night in a domed Palladian Hall
MKH 30/30 sum and difference array behind the conductors head, and slightly above
Same old hokum on my part, Riga magic on theirs
Roger

Last edited by Rolo 46; 11th December 2017 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Music File won't upload!!
Old 9th December 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
Trying again
Music Baltica by Rolo | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Gave up with GS upload ,hope this Soundcloud works....

Last edited by Rolo 46; 10th December 2017 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Frustration
Old 9th December 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Perhaps its time for Jules and the boys to revamp the coding for file attachment? A lot of people seem to have had difficulties recently... And it sure would be nice to attach flac files instead of mp3...
Old 12th December 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
Very nice.
Old 12th December 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
And it sure would be nice to attach flac files instead of mp3...
Yea verily !
Old 12th December 2017
  #6
Gear Head
Gorgeous, Roger!
Old 12th December 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Trying again
Music Baltica by Rolo | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Gave up with GS upload ,hope this Soundcloud works....
Gorgeous! Thanks for your persistence in getting this up.
Old 12th December 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
Yes I echo all the above sentiments...nicely immersive yet anchored and not swimmy or 'floaty' image-wise...a firm hand on the tiller, steady as she goes. Aye aye Capt'n ! ...unlike other proprietary methods on display here which seem to require numerous iterative tweakings, and still don't pass the mustard (or muster) !
Old 12th December 2017
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
locojohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Small university 40 pc choir, wintery night in a domed Palladian Hall
MKH 30/30 sum and difference array behind the conductors head, and slightly above
Same old hokum on my part, Riga magic on theirs
Roger
I hope you enjoyed Riga – my city Here every second one is a singer

Very nice sound. Could you possibly show how exactly is the configuration of the pair of MKH 30's? Perhaps, a picture? I am interested because I already own MKH 30 + 40 and I could use M/S, but I would like to see if I can possibly get better/more transparent results with MKH 30 + 30.

Also, what do you say about using a pair of omnis for the same purpose? (MKH 20 + MKH 20). Don't they produce even less noise?

Appreciate your feedback in advance

Andrejs
Old 12th December 2017
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Great recording, very nice choir and music, this bass, listening on headphones, makes my brain thrill...impressive!
Old 12th December 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Bruce Watson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Trying again
Music Baltica by Rolo | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Gave up with GS upload ,hope this Soundcloud works....
Nicely done, as always. Thanks for the treat!
Old 12th December 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
I hope you enjoyed Riga – my city Here every second one is a singer

Very nice sound. Could you possibly show how exactly is the configuration of the pair of MKH 30's? Perhaps, a picture? I am interested because I already own MKH 30 + 40 and I could use M/S, but I would like to see if I can possibly get better/more transparent results with MKH 30 + 30.

Also, what do you say about using a pair of omnis for the same purpose? (MKH 20 + MKH 20). Don't they produce even less noise?

Appreciate your feedback in advance

Andrejs
Sorry John, not recorded in Riga,just music from Riga
Recorded in a Regency Pump Room,once for taking the curative and bitter spa waters
Its my daughters old University Choir, and excellent they are too
The arrangements and placings are quite exquisite.
The 30/30 rig has great powers of extraction, a pair of MKH 20s would have added spacious but not the same detailed topography imho
Noise does not come into the equation with classic MKH mics!
I tried and tried again to attach my music file , with no joy
Soundcloud is an efficient site but not as enclosed as GS and come with some hideous aural furniture!
I hope Jules can sort it .
Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Music Baltica-dsc_0003.jpg  
Old 12th December 2017
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
locojohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Sorry John, not recorded in Riga,just music from Riga
Recorded in a Regency Pump Room
Ah, I am sorry. I got confused. We have truly wonderful choirs here as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Its my daughters old University Choir, and excellent they are too
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
The 30/30 rig has great powers of extraction, a pair of MKH 20s would have added spacious but not the same detailed topography imho
I just looked at the picture with microphones you attached. They seem to be placed in parallel and I thought you use them in a Blumlein array.

Andrejs
Old 12th December 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
I just looked at the picture with microphones you attached. They seem to be placed in parallel and I thought you use them in a Blumlein array.

Andrejs
Andrejs,
It is a Blumlein MS - the mic with the green dot in the picture is the side figure 8; it receives the right hand signal through the head basket of the mid mic. Roger is probably tired of explaining his Blumlein mid-side set-up, so I will save him the trouble and quote him from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
...we have been through this many, many times
Vertical mounting is visually obtrusive
Side by side or fore and aft are much more compact and shadowing is not an issue
Aiming the vertical array down causes as much non coincidence as the side or rear placement
They all sound the same to me anyhow...
Roger
Roger's MS pair may look unconventional but his results are incontestable.
Old 12th December 2017
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
locojohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Andrejs,
Roger is probably tired of explaining his Blumlein mid-side set-up, so I will save him the trouble and quote him from another thread:



Roger's MS pair may look unconventional but his results are incontestable.
Thank you for the explanation, jazz dad Jim!

Andrejs
Old 12th December 2017
  #16
This gives me another idea... and apologies if it's already been discussed - but what about a conventional MS array with the figure-8 directly behind a cardioid? I really do like the small footprint of Roger's array and the great imaging, but there are times I'd want less "rear" so a figure-8 mid wouldn't be a good choice.
Old 12th December 2017
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
locojohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
but what about a conventional MS array with the figure-8 directly behind a cardioid?
That's exactly how I am usually recording. MKH 30 + MKH 40 in traditional M/S configuration. Plus, you can control how much front (M) signal you want and how much side channel (S) you want for optimal sound. On my preamplifier I simply use L and R gain controls to do that to make it sound best.

But it's interesting to see fig8 mics used in pair.

Andrejs
Old 13th December 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
MS config is very pragmatic, all patterns can be accommodated to the mid 8,and I have tried them all in over 30 yrs of field recording and I still prefer the MKH 30/30 combination for music
The rear field yields the sonic signature of the hall and this is useful if you wish to enhance it marginally
All direction mics have rear fields except a true card, the fig 8 is the best.
Its front field has exception suck factor and precise delineation of field, which can be steered to focus
If you place the array on the edge of critical distance the rear will have more ambience ratio, placed in the field it will be reduced
Placement is critical, as is height,this enables panning up or down to selectively focus or balance.
Think of it as a spot light with barn doors
Ta Jim for the quote for Andrejs, sometimes the feeble preacher in me flags, the effort of posting the file almost defeated me
Im a keen proselytiser for Mr Blumleins genius, but I can falter
Roger
Old 13th December 2017
  #19
Sounds lovely, Roger.
Old 13th December 2017
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
locojohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
MS config is very pragmatic, all patterns can be accommodated to the mid 8,and I have tried them all in over 30 yrs of field recording and I still prefer the MKH 30/30 combination for music
Thanks a lot for your time to explain your point, Roger!

Do/did you use the same configuration for field recordings?

Andrejs
Old 13th December 2017
  #21
Gear Addict
Very nice! quite a ribbon-like sound.
Nice to hear a choirsound that doesn't spit in y'r face ;-)
Old 13th December 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
Thanks a lot for your time to explain your point, Roger!

Do/did you use the same configuration for field recordings?

Andrejs
Al my recordings I consider field work, ie no control as such, just serendipity
Most of my renderings are transcriptions of live events with no possibility of production apart from common sense on both sides.
When I was a film recordist I used directional mid side, MKH40/50 with the 30 and sometimes a MKH60.
With music I tried all combinations, and liked 20/30 and 30/30 most
The former is a bit diffuse for me, the latter my foundation
I also always carry a MKH 80/30 combo and a pair of 20s in my Portabrace bag, my spots, if required would be 40s, they hardly ever come out now, but they are excellent and sufficiently wide to enable head movement, I have tried 80/30 spots too.
Roger
Old 13th December 2017
  #23
Lives for gear
Your shockmount seems to be this Rycote: Rycote InVision Studio USM-VB Universal Microphone Shock-Mount 044912

But what back to back mic clip are you using, please sir?
Old 13th December 2017
  #24
Lives for gear
Sennheiser MZD 30 expensive but worth it
Roger
Old 13th December 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 

I use Rycote back-to-back clips for
MS with 8040/8050 and MKH30.
Old 13th December 2017
  #26
Lives for gear
Ive added a Britten track from the same venue
The choir splits and a section sings from the dome balcony, shadowing the main group pleasingly
Picked up well on the rear lobes of the array
Its on the Soundcloud account
Roger
Old 13th December 2017
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Roger,
Any reason why you use a side to side arrangement for your MS MKH30's instead of putting the MID in front of the
SIDE mic? It would seem this would be more symmetric WRT frontal sources?
Old 13th December 2017
  #28
Lives for gear
Thats an old pic Folkie
I now rig fore and aft ,mid to front, not that it makes any symmetrical difference to my ears
Roger
Old 14th December 2017
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Thanks
Old 14th December 2017
  #30
Lives for gear
I can see that the MZD 30 back to back mount would be terrific for holding both mic bodies in the same plane. My rycote back to back clips will shift if I'm not careful.

Is there a back to back mount similar to the MZD 30 for Schoeps' 20 mm bodies?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump