The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions sought for choir/organ stereo placement
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Opinions sought for choir/organ stereo placement

Hello all . . . attached is a recording that's my first use of the 4-way "phased array" technique (frequently attributed to Tony Faulkner), of a small choir (organ comes in near the end of the track). The choir was in a single-row deep-horseshoe kind of arrangement, with the organ about 25 feet behind the rearmost singers. I had to guess as to the mic placement and couldn't revise it . . . and the singers ended up further away from the mics than the conductor originally indicated. I also only had a quick sound-check with headphones before committing the omni-to-subcardioid balance for the 2-track recording. Mics are CCM2S and CCM21, 67cm/47cm apart respectively, about 90 degree angle (45 from straight-on) on both.

I will be recording this ensemble a few times throughout the next year, but because of the venue schedule it's unlikely that I'll be able to get much set-up and sound-check time for them . . . meaning that I'll be making iterative changes over the year to consistently improve the results. To this end, I'd very much appreciate any feedback, and it's specifically the stereo placement of voices and instruments that I'm not sure I have a good reference point for.
Attached Files

Track 01 MP3.mp3 (11.51 MB, 295 views)

Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Lovely piece with quite a dynamic range. I'm hearing a significant amount of LF rumble, most noticeable (to me) in the opening few bars. Was your array in the path of HVAC venting?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrReid View Post
Lovely piece with quite a dynamic range. I'm hearing a significant amount of LF rumble, most noticeable (to me) in the opening few bars. Was your array in the path of HVAC venting?
An astute observation . . . yeah, there's HVAC venting all over the place up front in this room, and the main mechanical room is directly below the middle of it. They did recently perform a major renovation and made drastic improvements, especially in lowering the airspeed . . . but unfortunately there's no getting around the need to bring the rumble down in post. The clip here hasn't had any processing applied.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Good choir, nice arrangement, good recording
Organ a trifle heavy handed for such a delicate, nuanced performance
It can only get better, it sounds very real and true.
Roger
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search