The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Earthworks QTC50 + Audient ASP800 - perfect match? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Earthworks QTC50 + Audient ASP800 - perfect match?

Hi,

I made a recording with a couple of Earthworks QTC50 going to Audient preamp ASP800.
Just fell in love with this combination.
Full and rich (bassoon!)

Room was narrow, so a little reverb is added.

Maby a hint for someone looking for a set of awesome mics for classical recording.

I'm aware of the "noise issues" discussion, but here I can't hear any problem. But sure, music in this example is not so quiet.

Enjoy.

Marcin
Attached Files

Bach Ouverture in C.mp3 (1.84 MB, 447 views)

Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I have a matched pair of Earthworks QTC40 mics and have been very happy with them as well. With a diaphragm that tiny I guess there's no avoiding some self-noise, but it hasn't been an issue for me to date...the larger issue is that these mics are so incredibly sensitive that they'll pick up everything so you really have to keep the room quiet. I've generally been really happy with Earthworks mics; I have five of their SR-series cardioid mics for live concerts and they're excellent--especially on violin and guitar, but also very good for voice and flute.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for the reply.
They are indeed incredibly sensitive. But beautifully sounding!
But if I compare numbers of the most used mics in the classical world - DPA's 4006, they are even more sensitive.

Another example below:
First movement of the Winter of the Four Seasons of maestro Vivaldi.

I like close sound, so reverb added a bit.

Greetings, M
Attached Files

Zima 1.mp3 (4.80 MB, 302 views)

Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polifonia View Post
Thanks for the reply.
But if I compare numbers of the most used mics in the classical world - DPA's 4006, they are even more sensitive.

Another example below:

Greetings, M
Very nice recording.

I have an SR20 Earthworks and it is very nice on violin, mando or guitar and many female voices.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
I would use the transformer and harmonics options. I've always found Earthworks style omni mics to sound best with transformer balanced preamps. It really thickens them up and smooths the room in a musical way.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
I would use the transformer and harmonics options. I've always found Earthworks style omni mics to sound best with transformer balanced preamps. It really thickens them up and smooths the room in a musical way.
Thanks for pointing it out!
Love the use of saturation in the mixes, but didn't check it yet on the Audient in the signal chain.
Interesting read on the subject:
Audient, HMX & IRON Part 2:
The Science Behind The Sound
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polifonia View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Another example below:

Greetings, M
The ambience is way more high-end on this recording compared to your OP. It sounds like the first clip was recorded with a bit too much gain perhaps.

Also did somebody drop their sheet music around 00:48 in this one? haha
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Do you think it could be gain?
I've checked the levels. The first recording actually has lower gain, in the second I pushed the gain to the limit. Almost to much, clipping was close - 0,3dB on the peak level.
You think it might be this?
There were two different halls too, the second recording is done in a much bigger and less colored place.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons are all about the nature noise. And public - noise. More of it happend during the concert:DD
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Nut

FYI, here's a recording I did of myself a few years ago playing Irish flute (a slip jig called Elizabeth Kelly's Delight) using the two Earthworks QTC 40s in A-B about 2 metres away from me in a small chapel in Vermont. I recorded this directly into a Korg MR-1000, using its built-in preamps, and as far as I recall I didn't do anything with this file other than convert it to MP3 and upload to Soundcloud. I could have/should have set the gain just a bit lower but in general I thought this captured the true sound of my flute better than just about anything else I've tried.

Elizabeth Kelly's Delight by BradHurley | Brad Hurley | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
FYI, here's a recording I did of myself a few years ago playing Irish flute (a slip jig called Elizabeth Kelly's Delight) using the two Earthworks QTC 40s in A-B about 2 metres away from me in a small chapel in Vermont.
Great recording and lovely playing Brad! I have never tried any of the Earthworks mics (above my pay grade) but I get the sense that they are very accurate... almost clinically clean, so a nice chapel acoustic, or some iron, or some tube harmonics seems to give a little needed colour and warmth?
Old 10 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
I get the sense that they are very accurate... almost clinically clean, so a nice chapel acoustic, or some iron, or some tube harmonics seems to give a little needed colour and warmth?
Thanks, Jim! I guess "almost clinically clean" is a good description; whether that implies a need for added warmth and colour depends on your goals. My goal in field recordings like this is to capture the experience as accurately as possible, but in this case I had a nice acoustic space to work in. Since I'm only recording for myself I guess I have the luxury of only doing recordings with these mics in places that sound good to begin with -- if I'm in a dead room I won't use these mics because why bother? ;-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search