The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good mics for Bad room... Mixers (Digital)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Good mics for Bad room...

I've been using DPA4099 mics for several years, mostly borrowed, until I bought the four-pack last year about this time. While they are really useful in their "instrument mic" iteration, I've found them to be quite nice for reinforcement gigs with choirs in bad rooms. You can see (and hear) if you agree.

The choir is a high school "Chamber Choir" at a private school here in the NashVegas area. The room is a hard, cold cafeteria that I've been battling for a decade. This is the fourth concert I've done since acquiring the 4099s, and the clip is from a rough "faders-up" mix (Logic session, onboard preamps, tracked through the KT USB card in my Midas M32, no automation, but with EQ tweaks, HPF, slight compression, and a touch of 'verb) for the teacher's evaluation.

Mics were attached to a pair of Audix MicroBooms with gaff tape (center pair), and to a pair of K&M "standard" booms (flanker pair), also with gaff tape. Piano (7' Kawai) was mic'd with a single DPA4061 gaffed 1" above the middle frame member at the crossing of high/low strings, lid on shortest (3") stick. There were also three Shure SLX/Beta87a RF mics for soloists. Notice how the choir mic stands pretty much disappear against the seams in the shell. Everybody with an iPhone (and the two "real" photogs) really appreciate the form factor.

Photo #1 : 4099s gaffed to the top of MicroBooms... the hypercard pattern has nicely mitigated the 200-400Hz bleed from the back of the K12 pair hung in front of the proscenium; Photo #2 : Sag-stopping tape; Photo #3 : Acres of linoleum and drywall.

I really like these mics in this deployment. I loaded my saved scene from the last concert (October), added one 4099; dropped one RF mic; tracked 8 channels; had fun. It should always be this easy.

Comments/questions/criticism welcomed. Happy Christmas!

HB
Attached Thumbnails
Good mics for Bad room...-img_5295.jpg   Good mics for Bad room...-img_5298.jpg   Good mics for Bad room...-img_5299.jpg  
Attached Files

Fum Fum Fum.mp3 (1.45 MB, 217 views)

Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search