The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DPA new CORE 4060s
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

DPA new CORE 4060s

Hey all,

Was in the market for a new stereo pair of 4060s, and saw that DPA had recently announced a new line of CORE technology modded mics, in which the 4060s are being included.

Any insider (or otherwise) info on what that improvement will actually sound like?

To be honest, my main concern is around the fact that I’ve yet to see anything to indicate that a stereo matched pair will be available any time soon, and my real question is whether or not it’s worth it to hold off until I can get a matched stereo pair, or if QC at DPA is already at the level where purchasing two CORE 4060s individually will serve me just as well, since I’m going to need these by end of month.

Thanks so much!
John
Old 6 days ago
They are supposed to have lower self noise, which is welcome in this type of microphone. Other than that, I wouldn't expect a noticeable sound difference. DPA's should be matched quite well even if not a pair. Though the accessories pack that comes with a pair is really nice to have. Without it, you would need to purchase the XLR connector separately and any an all mounting options.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

I believe noise floor is the same but distorsion at high SPL is lower.

Generally, I find sensitivity tolerances are wider for there miniature mics, compared to the d:fine series.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I've been trying to buy a pair of these since a week after they were introduced at AES in NY in October. I can't even find a quote on the price, and Sweetwater has been unable to get any info from DPA US on price, availability, etc.

Jeff
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Agreed Jeff- I've been attempting to e-mail with DPA, and responses have been less than clear as to when they'll be available at certain North America locations.

I was able to find the COREs posted at Full Compass, so have sent an e-mail their way (no reply) regarding whether or not they're available now, or if it's a pre-order situation.

Regarding the noise floor vs improved THD, that was another question/misunderstanding I may have had. If these are in fact exhibiting a lower noise floor than the 'classic' 4060s, I'm all in and willing to wait. If it's simply a slightly improved THD (on which the current models seem to perform quite well already), then I'm inclined to purchase the available stereo set of 4060s (non-CORE) rather than waiting on if and when a matched pair of CORE 4060s are made available.

Nothing on the DPA site mentions improved noise floor in these CORE models (only improved THD), but it may be that I'm missing a connection between the two, and that improved THD somehow impacts perceived noise floor.

Any thoughts?

Again, my ultimate decision is this- purchase two unmatched DPA CORE 4060s, or play it safe with the traditional 4060s found in the current 'paired' stereo set.

Would love to keep this convo going!

John
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Gotham Sound in NYC has singles available for pre-order, with an expected availability listed as January 2018.

Seem to be a similar prices than non core versions; $480 for a microdot model.

Gotham has really good people working there, you should be able to call or email them with any questions about the mics.

-Mike
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingStickMan View Post
Hey all,

Was in the market for a new stereo pair of 4060s, and saw that DPA had recently announced a new line of CORE technology modded mics, in which the 4060s are being included.

Any insider (or otherwise) info on what that improvement will actually sound like?

To be honest, my main concern is around the fact that I’ve yet to see anything to indicate that a stereo matched pair will be available any time soon, and my real question is whether or not it’s worth it to hold off until I can get a matched stereo pair, or if QC at DPA is already at the level where purchasing two CORE 4060s individually will serve me just as well, since I’m going to need these by end of month.

Thanks so much!
John
The info is all over their web page(s)

Sound innovation for the entertainment industry

Available January 2018
up to 14dB increased maximum SPL depending on mic (6dB more on 4060)
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi apple-Q,

Thanks for the link- I've seen what's been posted by DPA themselves. It's a lack of understanding on my part, I'm sure, but my question is around whether or not the reduction in THD has an impact on overall sound to noise ratio (whether or not the new CORE mics will end up quieter than the current model's 23dBA self-noise). Comparing specs on the site, it doesn't look like there are different numbers for Legacy vs CORE, so my assumption is that self-noise will be the same between the two.

I'm still learning about all of this stuff, and so wanted to make sure that THD wasn't in some way related to S/N ratios. If not, then I think I have my answer, and would be willing to grab the currently available stereo set (which includes the additional accessories) vs waiting to see if and when the stereo set will be made available for the CORE models.

Thanks again everyone! Much appreciated.

John
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I will add though, if any of you more experienced than I (particularly when it comes to field recording/nature recording/ambience applications) would say that I'd be crazy to not wait the extra month (or two or three) for the new models, and that a 6db increase in SPL and slightly reduced THD is actually a big improvement, feel free!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search