The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Dilemma: cheaper MKH415 or more expensive MKH416 Summing Mixers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Dilemma: cheaper MKH415 or more expensive MKH416

I have a bit of a "luxury" dilemma and would like your opinions. Long post, sorry. The TL;DR version: cheaper MKH415 or more expensive MKH416?

Most of my recording is in a space (15m x 12m x 5,5m high) where I have to be about 7~8 meters away from either a concert band or a big band. Very much not ideal, but hey.

One mic array that works for me in this space is a pair of Sennheiser MKH406's spaced 60cm and 60 degrees (panned left and right) with a center mic being either a third MKH406 or an MKH816.

Taking the big band as an example, with the center mic as an MKH406 the saxophones tend to get somewhat lost in the space: too far away.

When I use the MKH816 as the center mic, the saxophones come across very nicely. This actually works surprisingly well. But the sound is not ideal, presumably on account of it being a long shotgun. Not bad to my humble ears, but the MKH406 sounds better overall. Except with the 406 the saxes disappear.

So my idea was to try the mic half way between a 406 and an 816: the 416. My theory is that the sound will be better than the 816 (shorter interference tube) but worse than the 406 and the saxes will come out not quite as good as the 816 but better than the 406. A compromise solution.

Looking around eBay, 416's (especially less popular T powered ones) come up quite frequently, as well as MKH415's. I found a (claimed to be) New Old Stock MKH416T-3 (my 406's and 816's are also 12v T-power so I can use that no problem). There is also someone selling a pair of MKH415's.

Dilemma is this: the 415's are (of course) quite a bit cheaper than the 416. Is it worth getting the NOS 416, or are the 415's close enough in sound to combine with the 406's? How about the off-axis sound of the 415 compared to the 416? This is not dialog being recorded but music.

I want to avoid T-power mics with XLR connectors (the TU versions) and phantom power mics with Tüchel connectors to avoid cross cabling things (aside: this is not always clearly labeled. It is always a good idea to compare the text of the auction to the pictures of the mic's connector).

The MKH60 or MKH8060 might be better choices, but I feel I can't justify the additional expense for my non-professional purposes (and somewhat experimental setup).

Regards, Christine
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
MKH 415/416 sound pretty similar, the 416 will be newer and T is always cheaper
I prefer the 416 on looks, its better off axis than the 816
2 x 416 in phased array can be good in some interiors
They all have rear lobes except the 406 which is a forgiving cardioid
Roger
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
MKH 415/416 sound pretty similar, the 416 will be newer and T is always cheaper
I prefer the 416 on looks, its better off axis than the 816
2 x 416 in phased array can be good in some interiors
They all have rear lobes except the 406 which is a forgiving cardioid
Roger
Hi Roger,

Thank you

Sorry to press you on a point, but does "MKH415/416 sound pretty similar" and "2 x 416 in phased array can be good in some interiors" imply that two 415's can also be good in some interiors?

By the way, my two MKH416T's were the ones sold by that place down the road from you (forget the name) that you gave the thumbs up on. I am glad you did. I LOVE these 406's. MKH406's are affordable hidden gems as far as I am concerned.

Regards, Christine
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
MKH 415s will sound good in a phased pair, the sides perhaps a bit ragged and the rear field is useful for ambience, 416's may have a bit more bite but the same family idiosyncrasies.
The 406 is an excellent mic for music, Pink Noise will have T power of all the early MKHs on occasion, look out for the omni MKH 104, they make a great pair
If phased arraying always remember to align the capsules carefully, a 406 centre with flanking 415s could be interesting as could a pair of 415/6 with a central 816
Not spacious but detailed, their rears should give a bit of space in a disappointing hall, interference tubes have little place in music or interiors where they can be defeated by multiple reflections, but its interesting to experiment and not to follow dogma
Roger
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Smile

The 415 and 416 are basically the same mic.

The 415 was only made in T-power and the 416 was phantom power only when it first came out.

Later, Sennheiser discontinued the 415 and made a 416-T to complensate.

I would expect the 416 to be quieter than the 415, but I have never used them together.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

And Pete Verrando can convert your T-power 416 to p48 if you want. He converted mine (as well as 6 old Schoeps T powered CMCs) and it works great.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search