The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cantata with pre-recorded tracks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Cantata with pre-recorded tracks

I need advice pursuant to the best method to multitrack a Christmas Cantata that is cued with pre recorded tracks through house monitoring to the choir loft. I have been recording events of this sort for many years but previously always with piano, organ and /or orchestra accompaniment: never with pre-recorded tracks.
I plan to use my Digigrid/WavesLV1 @FP32/96K that will also feed an Atomos video recorder. I also plan to get a direct stereo feed of the subject tracks from the church console and at this point experiment with four CM3 mics across the front rather than the broad three tube mic decca I usually deploy. I am capturing a dress rehearsal, not the final performance, so I will have ample time to adjust the set-up. My primary concern is the potential latency created by the differential of the church cueing system VxS direct line feed of the same. Your suggestions are very welcome.
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Unless there's something ungodly wrong with the church system, if you're getting a stereo analog feed of the backing tracks from the church they should be in phase with the signal feeding the speakers, and the distance between the speaker sounds and the choir will affect what you pick up in your CM3s. You can measure the distance from the speakers to the mics and delay the backing tracks that much as a starting point, but the ultimate reality is you'll add the "clean" backing tracks to your mix to as needed to improve the sound, and the amount you add and the delay you use are going to be based on what you hear.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply, It makes sense to zero the expected latency with a bit of delay.
Hugh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search