The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Schopes finishes
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Schopes finishes

How good is the textured finish on schopes. Am I better going with Nickel for longevity
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They are both good, but I will say that my brace of Schoeps CMCs from the early 1980s still look fine, if somewhat worn, and that the nextel finish ones nearly that age can have the finish start to chip off a little. It's a little down to how you "clip" your mics to stands or booms. My MK41s that worked on fishpole booms in Shure A53ms for years are a bit discolored where the donut grabbed them, others that worked in clips have some scratches from that. If a mic with such wear went back to Schoeps they'd probably replace the tube as part of their work.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the nickel finishes wear better, but I have some of both.

If your tubes are really beat up, you can order new ones from Redding Audio at not too dear a price that will make them look factory new. Folks who see my mics ask me if I just bought them.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I always use the Shure doughnuts as shockmounts for my Schoeps, and my Nextel bodies still look nearly new after >10 years. Keeping them in the tubes/cases when not in use helps too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
I always use the Shure doughnuts as shockmounts for my Schoeps, and my Nextel bodies still look nearly new after >10 years. Keeping them in the tubes/cases when not in use helps too.
Which model of the Shure doughnuts are the correct size?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A53m
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep. Good suspension for the Schoeps. I can not relate how much I HATE the Schoeps suspensions. Death!

D.

Rycotes are good too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Yep. Good suspension for the Schoeps. I can not relate how much I HATE the Schoeps suspensions. Death!

D.

Rycotes are good too.
When you say 'suspensions' do you mean shock absorbing like a spring or elastomer material (eg Rycote) , to suspend the mic against vibrations...or are you talking about the generic 'grip of death' standard stand clamp they are issued with ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post

D.

Rycotes are good too.
When you say 'suspensions' do you mean shock absorbing like a spring or elastomer material (eg Rycote) , to suspend the mic against vibrations...or are you talking about the generic 'grip of death' standard stand clamp they are issued with ?

The A20 Schoeps suspension mounts are awful and mark the nextel; so do the Shure. Rycote are highly recommended!

For the OP, the nextel is prefered for numerous reasons, including the ability for the mics to be more discrete visually. BTW, Rubbing the nextel with a finger will remove light shockmount marking.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The regular, open-clamp 'death grip' mic clips for Rode NT5 and Sennheiser MKH 8000 series are bad too: Rode because of the tremendous amount of force required to separate the jaws, and Senn for being similarly non-compliant and also marking the grey nextel.

There's simply no need for that much clamping force on the mic body.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
[QUOTE=studer58;12993496]The regular, open-clamp 'death grip' mic clips for Rode NT5 and Sennheiser MKH 8000 series are bad too: Rode because of the tremendous amount of force required to separate the jaws, and Senn for being similarly non-compliant and also marking the grey nextel.

There's simply no need for that much clamping force on the mic body.[/QUOTE
I use Rycote lyre mounts for all my mics.
INV-3 for the 8040/8050's.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Mostly one in the same. Those suspensions that Schoeps puts in every stereo pair? Elastics and "grip of death" in one handy package. Awful.

Yes, the Invision suspensions are the best.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Schoeps nextel finish isn't the most durable in my opinion. It easily wears off as I have seen with several CCM and CMC mics.
The distributor told me that Schoeps does custom anodizing on request, so maybe a dark grey could be possible and I bet it looks great!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=tourtelot;12993654]Yes, the Invision suspensions are the best./QUOTE]

yes indeed, they have very narrow grip assemblies, many times less side-force than than the OEM non-suspension mounts. The nextel finish is gritty, but easily burnished off by sharp-edged, high side-force mounts...ever noticed that ? It starts off light grey...but ends up darker, smoother...and more visible on camera !

Who'da eva thought hard, sharp plastic could damage coarse gritty nextel...but it happens, right before your eyes. On buying a Schoeps or MKH8000, immediately
put those non-suspension mounts down in the basement, forget they're there !

yes Doug...Rycote rules !
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thank you. The mics will get a lot of stage use and rental. There seems to be mixed opinion so the nickel finish is probably the safest. Custom anodized sounds cool I’ll, find out if the is much of an additional cost or turn arond time
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As far as finishes are concerned, I like the nickel better than the Nextel. However, recently Schoeps has cheapened their nickel bath process and the current today versions of the nickel finish are not as durable as the earlier ones. The current nickel finishes tend to pit and discolor. They have a rough surface where formerly they were smooth and a little shiny.

Recently I had the Schoeps factory make some custom color mic bodies. They use a thick paint to make the custom colors.
This paint is reminiscent of the thick East German Lada automobile bumper paint that Gefell used to use.
Recommended!

Both the Schoeps SG20 plastic clip and the Senn. plastic clip are awful.

The Schoeps clip used to have a brass insert as threads to screw onto the mic stand. Now the whole clip is plastic and the plastic threads do not firmly seat on many mic stands. Plastic threads are not properly spaced for 5/8" mic stand stud.

For $54, they should return to having a metal insert as the threads.

Sennheiser makes a stupid clamp that is so tight that you injure your hand and fingers trying to put the mic in the clip. It should also be redesigned.

And yet, these shoddy accessories are a major profit center for the two German companies.

I use the Shure doughnuts. Made in Chicago, made right.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
This paint is reminiscent of the thick East German Lada automobile bumper paint that Gefell used to use.
Recommended!
Lada was and still is Russian ;-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you don't leave the Shure A53ms on the mics for years (as I did at one time) they won't mark either finish. I agree about the now-departed brass insert in the A20--w/o it they aren't getting $54+ from me for those things. I have A53ms still working fine after 30 years.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I’ve got an MS pair consisting of CCM4 and CCM8. They’ve lived much of their 14 year life inside a Rycote windshield with Rycote clips. The finish is wearing off both of them from the process of removing and replacing them, and perhaps the general pressure. The older Rycote MS clip for those mics (two semi-circular clips mounted back to back) is quite brutal...

Also, not wanting to go too far OT, but I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser MKH800s and find the clips provided with them (both the suspended and the standard) to be brutal as well. The sheer strength required to get the mic into the clip makes me afraid I’m going to slip one day and either drop the mic or send it careening across the room. I’m quite disappointed considering the price of the MKH800 - the clips look as if they were designed for the earlier MKH series with the flat sides. Considering all the work that Sennheiser has put into the MKH800 (it’s a really impressive microphone), I assumed they’d would have spent a proportional amount of effort on the design of a decent clip specifically for the mic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wrote to Schoeps and told them their SG20 clip was low class.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have nextel gray because I like that it isn't reflective and isn't easily visible. I use Rycote invision mounts and the Shure donuts. Both work well and don't seem to mark the surface of the mics.

I have some of the schoeps mounts and agree with the sentiments posted already. However, I am very fond of the Schoeps stereo mounting bar for ORTF (STC 4g). Is a very practical and elegant solution. I have Schoeps ORTF bars for cards (MK4s + MK5s) and wide cards (MK21s).

-Tom
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
IShapeways 3D Printing Marketplace have nextel gray because I like that it isn't reflective and isn't easily visible. I use Rycote invision mounts and the Shure donuts. Both work well and don't seem to mark the surface of the mics.

I have some of the schoeps mounts and agree with the sentiments posted already. However, I am very fond of the Schoeps stereo mounting bar for ORTF (STC 4g). Is a very practical and elegant solution. I have Schoeps ORTF bars for cards (MK4s + MK5s) and wide cards (MK21s).

-Tom
Shapeways also has a lot of stereo mounting options for Schoeps.

I use several of the Shapeways stereo
mounts for my Sennheiser MKH mics
and like them a lot. I use a Rycote INV7 HG MKIII to hold the stereo mounts.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have several Shapeways mounts too. They work well and are reasonably priced. For ORTF, the Schoeps mount is my first choice.

-Tom
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

To protect the finish of my mics, I put a piece of thin very tough plastic wrapped around the mic then push into the clip. All the mics look like new, no marks or rubs. Try putting 2 pieces of ordinary 2" or 3" packing tape together, it works great but I sometimes l lose them because it's clear tape.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Schoeps wrote me back and told me the SG 20 clamp does have a brass insert for the threads. Top part is plastic and bottom part is metal.

So the recent ones I got from an individual must have been very old. They changed to the metal inserts quite a few years ago.

I ordered new ones now.

I received a responsive answer from Schoeps which is much appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The nextel finish on my brand new ccm41 is getting damaged by the B5d soft plastic insert, just put it on and and off one time, with care.
That shows how delicate the new nextel finish is.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I just ordered the nextel finishes need for a gig next week and would have had to wait longer for a different finish. I would suggest of the paint is damaged after one use that is a flaw No would be covered by a warranty
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search