The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decca Tree Recording 2 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Addict

Decca Tree Recording 2

So I decided to start a new thread because i don't care about all the crappy decca stands everyone is obsessing over on my first

any way, I'm not going to say I fixed my recording but I did improve it.

If you want to see the stand it's on 'post your pictures' it's apparently barely in the hall

Suite 2 by PlantLady Rec Services | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I hit the attenuated between 2k and 8k 1.2db to knock down the APE enhancement on each of the 4 channels that had them/ and pulled down at 105 3db's with a tight Q which got rid of some junk and then added some analogue 'shellac'.

The soundstage seems like a grand recorded at the bow with an ORTF pair. It's very complex and all over the place but doesn't seem like crawl.

Again appreciate almost any response,
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Head

Still sounds like one of your tracks needs to be inverted. Maybe one of the outriggers? Listen at 18:39 where the basses come in. To me they sound like they're coming from the left channel.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by srscpa View Post
Still sounds like one of your tracks needs to be inverted. Maybe one of the outriggers? Listen at 18:39 where the basses come in. To me they sound like they're coming from the left channel.
Thanks for finding my new location and your critique.
I am an independent with no one to consult with so I welcome any help.

I did take your observation and 'ran with it'.

I think it's not from an 'inverted' condition but from an acoustic one, though I will explore that further again.

Each time I try to adjust the balance to favor one thing; well something else pops up! I have the left side 2dbs hotter than the right but think I will make them equal and see what happens

I have to deliver the CD still irregardless of the position of the tree in the hall and appreciate your input.

Thank-you again.

Chris
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Head

It's a shame you didn't get any more feedback on the recording itself, but that's the internet for you. I think once you get the inverted track squared away, everything else will fall into place.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's a shame you didn't get any more feedback on the recording itself, but that's the internet for you. I think once you get the inverted track squared away, everything else will fall into place.
I definitely notice what your saying which could be inverted. You seem pretty adamant (that's a good thing) on it. Definitely understand why you would call it out like that.

I'll run that section and play around with the phase buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Decca Tree Recording 2-img_0468.jpg  
Old 29th November 2017
Hi,

I only listened on my trusted laptop speakers (forgive me...) but I like this recording. The picture made a lot clear - that is not a Decca Tree, as the distance between L and R are too big and the mics are facing forward as opposed to angled sideways. It resembles more an M3 array.

My personal recommendation: move L and R a bit in and move the entire stand a few rows closer to the stage.

Best,
Dirk
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
Hi,

I only listened on my trusted laptop speakers (forgive me...) but I like this recording. The picture made a lot clear - that is not a Decca Tree, as the distance between L and R are too big and the mics are facing forward as opposed to angled sideways. It resembles more an M3 array.

My personal recommendation: move L and R a bit in and move the entire stand a few rows closer to the stage.

Best,
Dirk
Dirk,

Thanks for the kind review. The L & R you are mentioning are the outriggers, there are a set 2-1/2' forward from those that have a 5 ft spacing. I put those mics facing forward as well because I was so far back.
I am having a meeting with the conductor to discuss the tree placement for the upcoming spring season.
Some of the other selections from this concert are better so I am hopeful of my salvaging operation
I'm happy I was able to get a pleasing listenable tone .

So thanks for chiming in, means a lot. Tried to highlight a detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Decca Tree Recording 2-detail-2.jpg  

Last edited by emenelton; 29th November 2017 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: add image
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
srcpa,

I compared all the tracks zoomed in, and felt the right tree track was out of phase. It seemed pretty easy to come to that conclusion. When toggled the soundstage seemed to go from 'crooked' to 'straight'.

I used a different approached and buss compressed the (3) stereo feeds with a 'color' compressor and tried to get the balance correct.

Now the tymps(left of center) and french horns(riser right) seem good; the strings and celli are however a little 'all over the place'. Seems like the right side might be a little hot but so many things fell into place that I think the excessive distance back in the room that the tree is, might be the cause of the strings being everywhere.

Anyways, interested in your assessment on the 'inverted' change especially and any further critique you may bring to the table.

Thanks!

Suite 3 by PlantLady Rec Services | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Head

Sounds really nice! That feeling in headphones that one side is pulling and the other pushing is gone now, so I think you've solved the inverted track issue.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sounds really nice! That feeling in headphones that one side is pulling and the other pushing is gone now, so I think you've solved the inverted track issue.
It is a bit 'uncanny' (bizzaro headphone pun ) your 'instinctual' insistence on the phase issue.

appreciate it

Don't want to be too needy but do you think the left-right balance and treble response is good?

I am asking because I used a heavy transformer compressor on each buss to improve the recordings listenability, so just wondering......

thanks a lot!
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Head

I think the balance is fine. Given the placement issue you had on the day of the concert, I think it turned out very listenable.
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Addict

I'm surprised how a tree, from the audience's perspective can sound.

Last edited by emenelton; 1st December 2017 at 11:11 PM..
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Addict

I put a lot of work into salvaging a good result from my rig stuck in the back of the room

I did speak with the powers that be and received permission to move the array to its proper position next time

The outriggers which are the dominant are KM 133 D

Promise to be Thankful by PlantLady Rec Services | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear
Decca Tree at AIR Lyndhurst: Studio File: AIR Lyndhurst, London |
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear
Tree for piano samples: Sonic Couture The Hammersmith
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Decca Tree at AIR Lyndhurst: Studio File: AIR Lyndhurst, London |
The Promise to be Thankful link shows how the hand that was dealt was played.
peach

Promise to be Thankful by PlantLady Rec Services | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited by emenelton; 10th January 2018 at 04:17 PM..
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search