The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone auditioned these mics? Ribbon Microphones
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Another reason for the sound recordists to shoot the video. Can't imagine they saved money bringing in another person to do video...and then he has to sync your audio after acting badly.
I found out he is doing the video for free since his daughter is in the Orchestra. Can't get much cheaper than free.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear
Well, at least you like your mixpre.

FWIW, I saw a post that someone had gotten 1.5 hours on their mixpre using a Sony L battery, but they neglected to say which size battery they used.
Old 12th December 2017
RPC
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I can also get a back for the unit that would allow us to use Sony camera batteries. We already use them for our HD camera monitors. Any thought on how long those last. Thanks!
The L mount batteries come in several sizes, so there'll be a variety of answers. One advantage is that the sled takes two batteries so you can hot-swap.

My solution was to purchase the Anker 20100+ recommended by SD packaged with a charger, Anker | PowerCore+ 20100 & PowerPort+ 1 Wall Charger. A two hour show has never extinguished more than two of the twelve LEDs on the Anker. As a bonus, the included charger powers my Mixpre-6 and cost much less than the MX-PSU.

Last edited by RPC; 12th December 2017 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: SD changed name of MX-Charge
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
The L mount batteries come in several sizes, so there'll be a variety of answers. One advantage is that the sled takes two batteries so you can hot-swap.

My solution was to purchase the Anker 20100+ recommended by SD packaged with a charger, Anker | PowerCore+ 20100 & PowerPort+ 1 Wall Charger. A two hour show has never extinguished more than two of the twelve LEDs on the Anker. As a bonus, the included charger powers my Mixpre-6 and cost much less than the MX-PSU.
Thanks for the heads up. Still learning. So far I am impressed. I'll let others know if the orchestra's conductor notices the difference in sound quality.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'll let others know if the orchestra's conductor notices the difference in sound quality.
Holdeth not thou breath...nor distributeth pearls before swine
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Are you serious the mixpre dies after only 1h30 ?

My zoom f8 goes for 4h50 with two power hungry MKH mics, and for 2h30 with EIGHT MKH mics, eating lots of phantom power.

That is on Panasonic Eneloop consumer batteries, the pros should give 20% more ...

That means the mixpre cannot do an entire concert on one charge ?
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
I have no personal knowledge of the battery useage. FWIW, the question of battery life was just asked again on TS and the reply given was about 3 hours using two 570 batteries and 5+ hours using 8 AA enloop pro batteries. Recording time for mixpre6 with various battery options?

One way to determine this for more certain is to connect your own mics with your own fully charged battery of choice and see how long it records with your mics and your particular battery.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

OK, so a Mixpre3 with 8 (instead of 4...) Panasonic Eneloop pro gives about the same recording time as a Zoom F8 (5+ hours). That seems more normal.

As always, test before you go out on a gig.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

In my case four brand new AA Duracell batteries were good for 20 minutes of run time. That was for a MixPre 3 and an NT-4 phantom powered plus my Beyer DT770 headphones. Must be one heck of a current draw. FWIW
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Never use anything other than Panasonic Eneloop rechargeables.
Duracell is a joke. In Belgium the alkaline Duracell costs almost half of an Eneloop, which you can and will recharge 2000x.
And as you write, you got 20min (=40min with 8 ?) instead of 300 minutes.
That makes a Duracell battery 7500 more expensive
(Duracell rechargeables break down on me after 20-30 charges - they are a joke as well)
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
In my case four brand new AA Duracell batteries were good for 20 minutes of run time. That was for a MixPre 3 and an NT-4 phantom powered plus my Beyer DT770 headphones. Must be one heck of a current draw. FWIW
Phantom power is probably a factor here; I remember seeing some of the youtube videos on the Nagra Seven when it first came out and the product rep emphasized that phantom power will reduce run time with batteries. But the MixPre recorders were designed specifically for videographers and other people who are likely to use phantom-powered mics almost exclusively, so it's odd that the impact should be so great.
Old 13th December 2017
RPC
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Phantom power is probably a factor here; I remember seeing some of the youtube videos on the Nagra Seven when it first came out and the product rep emphasized that phantom power will reduce run time with batteries. But the MixPre recorders were designed specifically for videographers and other people who are likely to use phantom-powered mics almost exclusively, so it's odd that the impact should be so great.
I'd keep a couple of things in mind. First, those Kashmir mike preamps probably draw a fair amount of current; it's hard to get a really good noise spec without doing that. Second, most "real" sound guys are going to spring for the Hirose adapter and run the Mixpre off their Anton Bauer batteries along with the radio mike receivers.
Running a few quick calculations, it seems to add up. Four AA NiMH at 2000mAhr equals 10Whr. Worst-case microphone is probably an Earthworks at 10mA draw, so about 500mW. Figure the same for each mike pre, another half watt to run the backlight, another half watt for the headphone amp,and a watt for actually running the Mixpre. So A Mixpre with two mikes and headphones plugged in draws at least 4W - that would be 2.5 hours running the batteries down to the point where they probably won't accept a recharge. So 2 hours with 4 AA run to practical exhaustion sounds about right.
Old 16th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
OK, so a Mixpre3 with 8 (instead of 4...) Panasonic Eneloop pro gives about the same recording time as a Zoom F8 (5+ hours). That seems more normal.
I ran about six hours last weekend on my MixPre-6 with 8x 2700 mah low-discharge NiMH batteries. When I was done, the battery icon showed about a quarter. These batteries are the general equivalent of Eneloops - they're PowerEX from Thomas Distributing, and they're quality stuff. I have about 70 of them powering all sorts of my photography gear, as well as audio stuff. In this case I was powering a pair of Line Audio CM3s through the MixPre-6.

When I got the batteries home I charged them with my normal C9000 charger and it said that it put about 2100 mah back into them, so the quarter-remaining indication appears to be quite accurate. I was surprised that it was quite that accurate as I was recording in about 20°F, and of course batteries tend to work less well in temps that low.

This weekend it's 16°F at the moment although it'll probably get warmer during the day tomorrow while I'm recording. I'll start with the 4xAA sled just to see how well it does, before switching to the 8xAA one.
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

I ordered a 6 amp USB charger from Amazon to run the unit when I am indoors. I plugged the unit in and within 10 minutes the unit had shut down. I am going to call Sound Devices on Monday to see if there is something wrong with my unit.
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear
Old 17th December 2017
RPC
Gear Addict

What 2manyrocks said. If the charger is USB-A out, a single cable will not power the Mixpre. You'll need to to come from two USB-A ports using the cable provided with the Mixpre. If the charger is USB-C, you need the proper cable to support at least 3A.
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

So I called tech support and they directed me to the same tech sheet. When I asked why the huge powering needs the person told me that he personally had no idea but that what I was describing was "normal" He told me to use Panasonic Rechargable Eneloop Batteries for the longest life. I told him about the 6 amp charger and he again asked me to look at the tech sheet. I love the unit and I will get what ever is needed to power it.
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Head

I did a lot of recording over the weekend, in very cold temperatures. On Saturday it was about 15°F when I started and it never went above about 24°F. I ran 8xAA of the PowerEX batteries all the way to zero, and that took slightly over five hours, most of which was actively recording. Upon recharging, I put over 2600 mah back into those batteries, so they really did go all the way down.

Sunday was much less cold - it started at 28°F and was all the way up to 42°F before I quit. In this case I ran 3:10 and the charger put 1300 mah back in, so this is slightly less than half of the nominal 2700 mah capacity. (This was, obviously two sets of eight batteries.)

In both cases I was powering a pair of Line Audio CM3s and recording both the stereo mix and two ISOs; as one would expect I had the headphones enabled. Note that I turned down the LCD brightness by about 75%. The LCD is a significant contributor to power drain and even though I do almost all of my recording in daylight, there's no need to light it up to full brightness most of the time. I know that on my DSLRs, the rear LCD (which is admittedly much larger) is an enormous proportion of their battery consumption - more than half, in fact. I haven't done careful tests on the MixPre, but I'm estimating that turning down the LCD is worth about 15% additional run time.

BTW, I tried the 4xAA sled first. It only lasted about a half an hour before the battery icon went red. That was all at the lowest temperature and not aided at all by sunlight as I had the gear hiding in the shade of a building to block out ugly road noise. I wonder why 4xAA ran much less than a full hour, while 8xAAs - nominally twice the energy - obviously go 5-6 hours under similar conditions.
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Last edited by 2manyrocks; 19th December 2017 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: add statement from product description
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

The cable that you posted is a USB A - USB C cable, which because of different specs cannot carry the amount of current the MixPre needs, even if the charger can provide it.

You just need to use a cable with a USB C connector on both ends and it should work fine with that same charger.

-Mike
Old 19th December 2017
RPC
Gear Addict

Last edited by RPC; 19th December 2017 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Added PowerPort+ URL
Old 19th December 2017
Quote:
Right power supply, wrong cable. Anything with a single Type A connector is limited to 5 watts. If you want to stick with the same brand and vendor try Amazon.com: Anker PowerLine USB-C to USB-C 2.0 Cable (3ft) for USB Type-C Devices Including Galaxy S8, S8+, Google Pixel, Nexus 6P, Huawei Matebook, Nintendo Switch, MacBook and More: Computers & Accessories.

(Or just get Amazon.com: Anker Quick Charge 3.0 and USB Type-C 24W USB Wall Charger, PowerPort+ 1 for Galaxy C9 Pro, Nexus, Moto and More: Cell Phones & Accessories which comes with a cable - I'm using it successfully with my Mixpre-6!)
Um... Quite a few batteries have 2.1A (which at 5V is 10W, no?) outlets using a USB Type A connector. It's true that a PC type A connector will not provide more than 900mA of current, but that's NOT true for standalone batteries or dedicated charging ports.

So, check the specs on the charger/battery pack. They're what matter, not the cable itself.
Old 19th December 2017
RPC
Gear Addict

Unfortunately (or not) once we're into the USB-C connector we're also into the PD (Power Delivery) spec, where the power supply, cable, and powered device negotiate for proper powering/charging. Anker notes in their FAQ for the cable Tom ordered, "USB-C to USB-A cables do not support Power Delivery, and will not allow a 5V/3A charge. We suggest you use your original USB-C charger and an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable." So even if the battery/supply supports more than 1A from USB-A, unless it's PD compliant the Mixpre will refuse to draw more than 1A and will go into survival mode.
Old 19th December 2017
Quote:
Unfortunately (or not) once we're into the USB-C connector we're also into the PD (Power Delivery) spec, where the power supply, cable, and powered device negotiate for proper powering/charging. Anker notes in their FAQ for the cable Tom ordered, "USB-C to USB-A cables do not support Power Delivery, and will not allow a 5V/3A charge. We suggest you use your original USB-C charger and an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable." So even if the battery/supply supports more than 1A from USB-A, unless it's PD compliant the Mixpre will refuse to draw more than 1A and will go into survival mode.
Gotcha... that makes sense.
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

To save on any problems I purchased the Sound Devices Power Supply - not cheap, but it works superbly.
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

I ordered a Anker USB-C to USB-C cable yesterday from Amazon. It should be here by tomorrow. Seems like a lot of running around and a lot of BS but I like the unit and hopefully this will take care of the problem. Will keep posting my trials...

ADDENDUM

I got the cord and now the unit works perfectly. Thanks again for ALL the help!

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 21st December 2017 at 08:26 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search