The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone auditioned these mics? Condenser Microphones
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Another reason for the sound recordists to shoot the video. Can't imagine they saved money bringing in another person to do video...and then he has to sync your audio after acting badly.
I found out he is doing the video for free since his daughter is in the Orchestra. Can't get much cheaper than free.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Well, at least you like your mixpre.

FWIW, I saw a post that someone had gotten 1.5 hours on their mixpre using a Sony L battery, but they neglected to say which size battery they used.
Old 1 day ago
RPC
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I can also get a back for the unit that would allow us to use Sony camera batteries. We already use them for our HD camera monitors. Any thought on how long those last. Thanks!
The L mount batteries come in several sizes, so there'll be a variety of answers. One advantage is that the sled takes two batteries so you can hot-swap.

My solution was to purchase the Anker 20100+ recommended by SD packaged with a charger, Anker | PowerCore+ 20100 & PowerPort+ 1 Wall Charger. A two hour show has never extinguished more than two of the twelve LEDs on the Anker. As a bonus, the included charger powers my Mixpre-6 and cost much less than the MX-PSU.

Last edited by RPC; 1 day ago at 02:46 AM.. Reason: SD changed name of MX-Charge
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
The L mount batteries come in several sizes, so there'll be a variety of answers. One advantage is that the sled takes two batteries so you can hot-swap.

My solution was to purchase the Anker 20100+ recommended by SD packaged with a charger, Anker | PowerCore+ 20100 & PowerPort+ 1 Wall Charger. A two hour show has never extinguished more than two of the twelve LEDs on the Anker. As a bonus, the included charger powers my Mixpre-6 and cost much less than the MX-PSU.
Thanks for the heads up. Still learning. So far I am impressed. I'll let others know if the orchestra's conductor notices the difference in sound quality.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'll let others know if the orchestra's conductor notices the difference in sound quality.
Holdeth not thou breath...nor distributeth pearls before swine
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Are you serious the mixpre dies after only 1h30 ?

My zoom f8 goes for 4h50 with two power hungry MKH mics, and for 2h30 with EIGHT MKH mics, eating lots of phantom power.

That is on Panasonic Eneloop consumer batteries, the pros should give 20% more ...

That means the mixpre cannot do an entire concert on one charge ?
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear
I have no personal knowledge of the battery useage. FWIW, the question of battery life was just asked again on TS and the reply given was about 3 hours using two 570 batteries and 5+ hours using 8 AA enloop pro batteries. Recording time for mixpre6 with various battery options?

One way to determine this for more certain is to connect your own mics with your own fully charged battery of choice and see how long it records with your mics and your particular battery.
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

OK, so a Mixpre3 with 8 (instead of 4...) Panasonic Eneloop pro gives about the same recording time as a Zoom F8 (5+ hours). That seems more normal.

As always, test before you go out on a gig.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

In my case four brand new AA Duracell batteries were good for 20 minutes of run time. That was for a MixPre 3 and an NT-4 phantom powered plus my Beyer DT770 headphones. Must be one heck of a current draw. FWIW
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Never use anything other than Panasonic Eneloop rechargeables.
Duracell is a joke. In Belgium the alkaline Duracell costs almost half of an Eneloop, which you can and will recharge 2000x.
And as you write, you got 20min (=40min with 8 ?) instead of 300 minutes.
That makes a Duracell battery 7500 more expensive
(Duracell rechargeables break down on me after 20-30 charges - they are a joke as well)
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
In my case four brand new AA Duracell batteries were good for 20 minutes of run time. That was for a MixPre 3 and an NT-4 phantom powered plus my Beyer DT770 headphones. Must be one heck of a current draw. FWIW
Phantom power is probably a factor here; I remember seeing some of the youtube videos on the Nagra Seven when it first came out and the product rep emphasized that phantom power will reduce run time with batteries. But the MixPre recorders were designed specifically for videographers and other people who are likely to use phantom-powered mics almost exclusively, so it's odd that the impact should be so great.
Old 9 hours ago
RPC
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Phantom power is probably a factor here; I remember seeing some of the youtube videos on the Nagra Seven when it first came out and the product rep emphasized that phantom power will reduce run time with batteries. But the MixPre recorders were designed specifically for videographers and other people who are likely to use phantom-powered mics almost exclusively, so it's odd that the impact should be so great.
I'd keep a couple of things in mind. First, those Kashmir mike preamps probably draw a fair amount of current; it's hard to get a really good noise spec without doing that. Second, most "real" sound guys are going to spring for the Hirose adapter and run the Mixpre off their Anton Bauer batteries along with the radio mike receivers.
Running a few quick calculations, it seems to add up. Four AA NiMH at 2000mAhr equals 10Whr. Worst-case microphone is probably an Earthworks at 10mA draw, so about 500mW. Figure the same for each mike pre, another half watt to run the backlight, another half watt for the headphone amp,and a watt for actually running the Mixpre. So A Mixpre with two mikes and headphones plugged in draws at least 4W - that would be 2.5 hours running the batteries down to the point where they probably won't accept a recharge. So 2 hours with 4 AA run to practical exhaustion sounds about right.
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search