The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Video cameras Condenser Microphones
Old 1st December 2018
  #151
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
...but for me, I'm gladly going to keep using my D500 with a new sense of appreciation for its ergonomics, battery life, and performance.
My feelings exactly. I'll be on my D800s until they no longer function reliably (no signs of that yet, and I was an early adopter)... and their color palette is really close to my Z1 and Z5 Sonys, which I've always liked.

Horses for courses... that's why there are options. "Best" is often "I like this best for my work" rather than some monolithic "BEST". Finding that sweet spot is the trick.

One old guy's opinion.

HB
Old 15th February 2019
  #152
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampavideo View Post
Hello,
What equipment do we need for budget-friendly video production? I will be grateful if someone helps me by providing useful information.

------------------------------------

Video Production Tampa
I have a string...how long should it be ? In other words, parameters and definitions of 'budget friendly video productions' are necessary before meaningful, constructive advice can be given.

I see you already have a matured video production company, with a list of credits as long as (my, your) arm: what are you using currently, and what makes you think it would need changing/improving ?

Oh, and finally...are you talking about video cameras...or audio recording equipment ? Please fill in some of these spaces for us..... so we can help you
Old 15th February 2019
  #153
Lives for gear
 

studer58 has framed a proper response: the equipment needed for "budget-friendly video production" is totally dependent upon the ultimate requirements of the final delivery. I discovered early on that while a one camera rig was very effective for capturing a solo performance , but when shooting a duet or band performance a two camera, or more, protocol was necessary to get the job done very well. In my case the new GH5 and Atomos V recorder is a real quality/value deal however I had to replace my GH3 with a GH4 in order to shoot the same 1080HD @ 23.967 FR with both rigs using a 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8 lenses. This made Davinci Resolve NLE editing much less complicated with my 3 year old dell computer.
Hugh
Old 15th February 2019
  #154
We use two Canon VIXIA HF G20 HD Camcorders for most of our video work. Great cameras and fairly inexpensive. FWIW
Old 16th February 2019
  #155
Lives for gear
Open ended question could be interpreted as asking about cameras/lens, recorders, mics....what specifically?

Newly released Sony A6400 does not have a video recording time limit and initial reviewers have not experienced overheating. If it doesn't overheat and there's no recording time limit, that's a bit of a breakthrough for APS-C sized sensor cameras. The video autofocus is also claimed to be improved over prior technology.

edit: letdown is there's no headphone jack on the A6400.

Last edited by 2manyrocks; 19th February 2019 at 12:23 AM..
Old 25th February 2019
  #156
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Open ended question could be interpreted as asking about cameras/lens, recorders, mics....what specifically?

Newly released Sony A6400 does not have a video recording time limit and initial reviewers have not experienced overheating. If it doesn't overheat and there's no recording time limit, that's a bit of a breakthrough for APS-C sized sensor cameras. The video autofocus is also claimed to be improved over prior technology.

edit: letdown is there's no headphone jack on the A6400.
I own the A6300 and the 4k video quality is incredible good. But one shouldn't record in HD, one has to use the 4k mode, even if downscaling later. It is not the case that the HD mode is as good as the 4k mode, just offering a lower resolution. I was kind of puzzled after trying the hd mode and expecting something similar with a lower resolution. One has to consider this regarding the memory 4k files need.
Yes, it doesn't have a headphone connector, but you can use the hdmi-out for audio.
My A6300 shuts down after 10-14 minutes of 4k video, I hope they really solved this with the A6400.
But, again, the quality is very very impressive. No comparison to my Canon DSLR 750d - and a few years ago the Canon impressed me.
Old 27th February 2019
  #157
Lives for gear
User experience will sort it out.

I hope I am not being tiresome to other members with all of this, but I sense that we are coming to a shift in the camera market, but I am not sure what that shift is going to be or exactly how it will affect us.

Canon's CEO recently stated that he expects sales of interchangeable lens cameras to fall by 25% in 2019 and another 25% in 2020. On top of that, Sony appears to be eating into Canon's and Nikon's market share. What appears to be the response of the other manufacturers to Sony?

Olympus recently released a $3,400 m4/3 sports camera....Panasonic recently released a $2,500 full frame. Canon's EOS R came out at $2,300. Nikon's Z6 came out at roughly $2,100 with the adapter. With the exception of the expensive (IMO) m4/3 Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon all seem to be pricing themselves around the Sony A7III price point of $2,000 with the hope of selling us some rather pricey new lenses for their new mirrorless offerings.

Although Canon's new EOS RP came out at $1,300, for some reason, it doesn't record at 1080p 24FPS. That makes no sense to me because so many other less expensive cameras will record at 1080p 24fps. I don't see how Canon is protecting themselves by leaving 1080p 24fps out of the EOS RP?
Old 27th February 2019
  #158
Lives for gear
 

IMO, when the low hanging fruit has been harvested it is generally a pragmatical strategy to move to a different tree: Case in point is with the Panasonic "new look GH5s". Unlike former new GH models that were hailed as great improvements, the GH5s was not very well accepted in reviews or the market place. The GH5 delivers most every thing we need and want at a price we can handle. There were not a bevy of used GH4 & GH5 cameras being dumped to make way for the GH5s. The GH5s is like some fruit in the top of the tree: it is hardly worth the effort to harvest so moving to a brand new FF camera and a new line of lenses made pragmatical business sense.
I think the broad based camera market has been flooded with an amazing number of high quality models that are a long way from obsolescence and the prediction of slower sales are a direct result of the abundant supply of nice cameras that are already in use.
Hugh
Old 28th February 2019
  #159
Lives for gear
Faced with declining sales revenues due to projected lower camera sales volumes, it appears to me that some of the camera makers are attempting to make up the anticipated revenue shortfall by offering a combination of camera body, batteries, grips, and new lenses which taken as a total system cost more than one might suspect. It remains to be seen if they are going to be successful or if the higher prices mean they will actually make fewer sales and have less sales revenue overall perhaps resulting in some maker dropping out of the camera market.

Something to consider is some of the new cameras are being offered with f/4 lens deals that may make the camera seem affordable, but when the cost of one or more f2.8 lenses desirable for indoor video or photography are considered, IMO, the costs go up dramatically.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #160
Gear Nut
I'm gonna resurrect this subject and take it into the low-end -- Sorry! But I'll explain the reason....

My wife needs to record herself teaching violin lessons and we found in the bottom of a drawer an old Zoom Q3, which would be more than fine for her needs. However, it doesn't always turn itself on (either with batteries or plugged into the outlet)... sometimes it comes on, and works fine; sometimes it won't turn on. We called Zoom and they offered us to replace it with either a Zoom Q2n-4k (discounted price of $125) or a Zoom Q4n (discounted price of $165)... now I'm thinking what other uses I can get out of the machine, besides her lesson recordings.

As I usually record recital videos on a Lumix G7 (my audio rig is separate!), I thought I could use the Zoom as a 2nd camera (perhaps as a on-stage dedicated camera, on the pianist's hands, for example), and get myself an easy to operate (turn it on; turn it off) multi-camera rig... my question for those of you with more experience with video equipment is: which one would you suggest? I'm leaning towards the Q2n-4k, both because the smaller size and it seems it makes better quality video, which I could pair better with my Lumix, which also shoots in 4k... it also helps that it's cheaper!

Any thoughts are appreciated and, again, apologies for the low-end diving!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #161
Gear Head
 

Hey VlaVln

I looked at the Zooms a few years ago when shopping for video cameras and I really didn’t like the look of the images they shoot. Too wide angle for me, and from what I can tell there’s no zoom. Maybe I’m wrong on that, anyway it’s besides the point. You are committed to the Zoom family so we’ll stick with that.

Comparing the q2-4K to the q4n the q2 has almost 1/2” sensor to the 1/3” of the q4, but it has to capture 4 times the pixels. Also, the q2 records at 76Mbs compared to the 24Mbs of the q4. That’s 3x the data rate to capture 4x the pixels. So in both cases bigger may not necessarily be better.

However it will be a newer sensor so newer technologies that may be more efficient so a little hard to read absolutes into the numbers. Also the q2 has 4K so as you say it will pair well with your Lumix. And more pixels is always nice to have, allows for reframing in post, zooming in post, and I always like the look of scaled down images as it softens the digital look which can be artificial and ugly. So even if your publishing at 1080, shooting at 4K is always good. However as we’ve established more pixels onto a slightly larger sensor might not give the cleanest image.

Also the q2 has HDR technology so you will (should) get overall better and more even exposures. At least in theory, according to the marketing bumpf. Again hard to read too much into the data.

The real test will be seeing real world images captured from both, and I don’t mean the stuff pushed out by Zoom. They have a marketing creative team that makes their images look beautiful in the best possible conditions with the best lighting setups. Look for examples from what other users have shot and see how they stack up.

Like I mentioned, I was wowed by the q4 on paper when I first them a while ago. Then I looked around and saw what real world video captured looked like and it left me cold. I opted for a set of Canon Vixia 600s that cost less, look comparable and have better manual controls. They only have 1/4” sensor so there’s a trade off there but they capture at 35Mbs

Hope that helps a bit, let us know what you end up doing
Old 3 weeks ago
  #162
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VlaVlnPlayer View Post
I'm gonna resurrect this subject and take it into the low-end -- Sorry! But I'll explain the reason....

My wife needs to record herself teaching violin lessons and we found in the bottom of a drawer an old Zoom Q3, which would be more than fine for her needs. However, it doesn't always turn itself on (either with batteries or plugged into the outlet)... sometimes it comes on, and works fine; sometimes it won't turn on. We called Zoom and they offered us to replace it with either a Zoom Q2n-4k (discounted price of $125) or a Zoom Q4n (discounted price of $165)... now I'm thinking what other uses I can get out of the machine, besides her lesson recordings.

As I usually record recital videos on a Lumix G7 (my audio rig is separate!), I thought I could use the Zoom as a 2nd camera (perhaps as a on-stage dedicated camera, on the pianist's hands, for example), and get myself an easy to operate (turn it on; turn it off) multi-camera rig... my question for those of you with more experience with video equipment is: which one would you suggest? I'm leaning towards the Q2n-4k, both because the smaller size and it seems it makes better quality video, which I could pair better with my Lumix, which also shoots in 4k... it also helps that it's cheaper!

Any thoughts are appreciated and, again, apologies for the low-end diving!
I would take the Q4n. The Q2n looks like a toy compared to it. The audio quality of the Q4n will be very good. I have an older model and like it alone for the audio quality. The picture quality isn't brilliant but good if you choose the correct setup and esp. in daylight. But if the light isn't good you will ged bad results (that is true for every camera, but even more for the Zoom).
One aspect that you might overlook: The Q4n has a much longer battery live!!! I often - when recording gigs - let it simply run, even during the breaks and don't have to care. It runs for hours with good batteries.
The picture quality of the G7 is remarkable better. Some people even chose it for the purpose of recording gigs.
As much as I like this product category (Zoom musiccameras), they would need to have at least the picture quality of newer generation smartphones and they don't. But I still use my Zoom simply for convenience and because of the battery live. It's pretty reliable. My iPhone used to shut down after 15 minutes of video or so... So it is hit and miss if you set it up and record your own gigs. I wouldn't care about 4k. The Q4 has an aperture of f2.0! The smaller one an aperture of f2.8 so remarkable worse in low light conditions.
The most interesting aspect of the Zooms anyway is the audio aspect. If you have a decent audio rig, maybe look for a good used compact camera that has a good picture quality like the first generation Sony RX100. I mention the Sony because of the price (about 300,- new), was about 1.000,- a few years ago.

If you film these events and don't let the camera alone like I do, an iPhone or a good smartphone - that you might own - makes significant better videos than the Zooms.
Old 1 week ago
  #163
Lives for gear
At NAB, Sharp is showing a prototype 8k m4/3 based video camera with a 5 inch touchscreen that may possibly sell for $3,000. YouTube

Also appears that Sharp is making its own sensor for this camera.

8k, $3,000, uses a Canon battery, single card, prototype....

I'd rather see something with a more manageable file size at a much lower price point that uses L batteries for long run time and has a great touchscreen.
Old 1 week ago
  #164
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post

I'd rather see something with a more manageable file size at a much lower price point that uses L batteries for long run time and has a great touchscreen.
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K just got a new battery base that might be the ticket and it does have a touchscreen (even touch autofocus). About $1,200.

I'm still using the original 1080p Pocket Cinema Camera and the Micro Cinema Camera (I prefer the Micro camera even though it has no screen at all; image quality seems better to me, it's a newer version of the same sensor, plus it has a full-size HDMI input and can record at higher framerates, up to 60fps). The main issue with those now is that it's next to impossible to find compatible SD cards anymore. SanDisk made some changes in the last year and their new cards no longer work in these cameras. It kind of amazes me that Blackmagic still sells the Micro Cinema Camera and the 5" Video Assist, since you literally can't buy compatible media for them anymore except some small-capacity cards (32 gig if I remember correctly, which will fill up in no time).
Old 1 week ago
  #165
Lives for gear
I think Blackmagic is certainly on the right path to offer that nice viewscreen and now the option of using Sony L mount batteries via a battery grip.
Old 3 days ago
  #166
In my opinion the Blackmagic Pocket Camera 4K is the best video camera on the market under $4K, and it's $1,200. The codecs on it are beyond excellent, the 5" screen is a fully capable monitor, and the I/O is everything we've been dreaming of. This footage says it all:

YouTube

The level of detail and color depth that codec gives you is phenomenal.

The only reason I don't use it is because I've committed to Sony's full-frame camera & lens system, and coming from film, the MFT sensor would require me to reset the way I understand focal lengths and DOF. But I recommend that camera to everyone who asks and isn't set in their ways like me. It's absolutely stellar.
Old 2 days ago
  #167
Gear Nut
 

I agree, Daniel.

I am impressed by the latest Blackmagic Pocket Camera 4k and the G2 a lot as well. If I were starting again, I would probably go down the BM route. BM's interface boxes are great, their interface cards are great, their Videoassists are great, and Resolve is an amazing piece of software with no renewal subscription.

For me the bad news is the MFT sensor and mount of the Pocket Camera 4k. We have Sony A7S, A6300 and FS7 cameras with Sigma and Metabones lens mount adapters, and Speedboosters which work well with the FS7 and A6300. This gives great flexibility of choice of lenses. You can use the same EF lenses on the FS7 and A6300 with or without Speedbooster to give more options. Going MFT now would be a pain and would also mean buying an expensive Speedbooster to get more out of our Canon and Sigma lenses, and they still would not go full width.
Old 2 days ago
  #168
Lives for gear
For $1,295, you get the BMPC4k and Davinci Resolve Studio. Add a $178 Cfast card and a $100 SDHC class II card with a $250 battery grip, $40 of Watson L mount batteries, a $20 charger. That's $1,883. If you want to use EF lens, then some reviewers recommend the .64x Speedbooster which is $650. With a heavier lens, they also suggest a cage to support the lens because of the lighter body so add another $180. Haven't even bought a lens and now we're at $2,713, well into full frame prices, but we're building up quite an investment around a m4/3 sensor.

Obviously, the total system cost depends on how you configure things, what you buy, and the results you want in the end.
Old 2 days ago
  #169
Lives for gear
 
Yannick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
For $1,295, you get the BMPC4k and Davinci Resolve Studio. Add a $178 Cfast card and a $100 SDHC class II card with a $250 battery grip, $40 of Watson L mount batteries, a $20 charger. That's $1,883. If you want to use EF lens, then some reviewers recommend the .64x Speedbooster which is $650. With a heavier lens, they also suggest a cage to support the lens because of the lighter body so add another $180. Haven't even bought a lens and now we're at $2,713, well into full frame prices, but we're building up quite an investment around a m4/3 sensor.

Obviously, the total system cost depends on how you configure things, what you buy, and the results you want in the end.
Yes. Going fullframe is not going to be cheaper. You need expensive glass, also media to record on. You need to buy a license for Resolve etc.

I have 4/3 lenses and m4/3 lenses, dont need the grip, concert recordings tend to have power available. The free resolve license actually takes the cost down to 950 euro, just below 800 euro excl. VAT.

A no brainer.

I tried using resolve instead of premiere pro for the last two projects.

Also a no brainer.
Old 2 days ago
  #170
Lives for gear
 

I am using a GH5 and a NinjaV recorder along with a GH4 and a ninja recorder using a 12/35, 2.8 and a 35/100, 2.8 Lumix lens. The ability to record to 1TB SSd HDs with "house power" is extremely beneficial. This gear is very comfortable working in a 4K environment however I will continue to work in 1080P @ 23.97 FR until popular delivery requires 4K or higher. BM has been on the cutting edge of technical development forever and I am very impressed with my Davinci Resolve NLE (much more intuitive that Pre. Pro) but I see no reason to change my current gear.
Hugh
Old 1 day ago
  #171
Lives for gear
BCN's monthly sales report for February, 2019 puts Canon's EOS kiss (a variation of the M, I believe in the US) at no. 1, the Sony A6400 comes in at 6, the Sony A7III is 17th and the Canon EOS R is at no. 34. Nikon Z didn't make it to the top 50. カテゴリ別 ランキング(月次) - BCN+R
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump