The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Video cameras Condenser Microphones
Old 1st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
...but for me, I'm gladly going to keep using my D500 with a new sense of appreciation for its ergonomics, battery life, and performance.
My feelings exactly. I'll be on my D800s until they no longer function reliably (no signs of that yet, and I was an early adopter)... and their color palette is really close to my Z1 and Z5 Sonys, which I've always liked.

Horses for courses... that's why there are options. "Best" is often "I like this best for my work" rather than some monolithic "BEST". Finding that sweet spot is the trick.

One old guy's opinion.

HB
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampavideo View Post
Hello,
What equipment do we need for budget-friendly video production? I will be grateful if someone helps me by providing useful information.

------------------------------------

Video Production Tampa
I have a string...how long should it be ? In other words, parameters and definitions of 'budget friendly video productions' are necessary before meaningful, constructive advice can be given.

I see you already have a matured video production company, with a list of credits as long as (my, your) arm: what are you using currently, and what makes you think it would need changing/improving ?

Oh, and finally...are you talking about video cameras...or audio recording equipment ? Please fill in some of these spaces for us..... so we can help you
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

studer58 has framed a proper response: the equipment needed for "budget-friendly video production" is totally dependent upon the ultimate requirements of the final delivery. I discovered early on that while a one camera rig was very effective for capturing a solo performance , but when shooting a duet or band performance a two camera, or more, protocol was necessary to get the job done very well. In my case the new GH5 and Atomos V recorder is a real quality/value deal however I had to replace my GH3 with a GH4 in order to shoot the same 1080HD @ 23.967 FR with both rigs using a 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8 lenses. This made Davinci Resolve NLE editing much less complicated with my 3 year old dell computer.
Hugh
Old 4 weeks ago
We use two Canon VIXIA HF G20 HD Camcorders for most of our video work. Great cameras and fairly inexpensive. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Open ended question could be interpreted as asking about cameras/lens, recorders, mics....what specifically?

Newly released Sony A6400 does not have a video recording time limit and initial reviewers have not experienced overheating. If it doesn't overheat and there's no recording time limit, that's a bit of a breakthrough for APS-C sized sensor cameras. The video autofocus is also claimed to be improved over prior technology.

edit: letdown is there's no headphone jack on the A6400.

Last edited by 2manyrocks; 4 weeks ago at 12:23 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Open ended question could be interpreted as asking about cameras/lens, recorders, mics....what specifically?

Newly released Sony A6400 does not have a video recording time limit and initial reviewers have not experienced overheating. If it doesn't overheat and there's no recording time limit, that's a bit of a breakthrough for APS-C sized sensor cameras. The video autofocus is also claimed to be improved over prior technology.

edit: letdown is there's no headphone jack on the A6400.
I own the A6300 and the 4k video quality is incredible good. But one shouldn't record in HD, one has to use the 4k mode, even if downscaling later. It is not the case that the HD mode is as good as the 4k mode, just offering a lower resolution. I was kind of puzzled after trying the hd mode and expecting something similar with a lower resolution. One has to consider this regarding the memory 4k files need.
Yes, it doesn't have a headphone connector, but you can use the hdmi-out for audio.
My A6300 shuts down after 10-14 minutes of 4k video, I hope they really solved this with the A6400.
But, again, the quality is very very impressive. No comparison to my Canon DSLR 750d - and a few years ago the Canon impressed me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
User experience will sort it out.

I hope I am not being tiresome to other members with all of this, but I sense that we are coming to a shift in the camera market, but I am not sure what that shift is going to be or exactly how it will affect us.

Canon's CEO recently stated that he expects sales of interchangeable lens cameras to fall by 25% in 2019 and another 25% in 2020. On top of that, Sony appears to be eating into Canon's and Nikon's market share. What appears to be the response of the other manufacturers to Sony?

Olympus recently released a $3,400 m4/3 sports camera....Panasonic recently released a $2,500 full frame. Canon's EOS R came out at $2,300. Nikon's Z6 came out at roughly $2,100 with the adapter. With the exception of the expensive (IMO) m4/3 Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon all seem to be pricing themselves around the Sony A7III price point of $2,000 with the hope of selling us some rather pricey new lenses for their new mirrorless offerings.

Although Canon's new EOS RP came out at $1,300, for some reason, it doesn't record at 1080p 24FPS. That makes no sense to me because so many other less expensive cameras will record at 1080p 24fps. I don't see how Canon is protecting themselves by leaving 1080p 24fps out of the EOS RP?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IMO, when the low hanging fruit has been harvested it is generally a pragmatical strategy to move to a different tree: Case in point is with the Panasonic "new look GH5s". Unlike former new GH models that were hailed as great improvements, the GH5s was not very well accepted in reviews or the market place. The GH5 delivers most every thing we need and want at a price we can handle. There were not a bevy of used GH4 & GH5 cameras being dumped to make way for the GH5s. The GH5s is like some fruit in the top of the tree: it is hardly worth the effort to harvest so moving to a brand new FF camera and a new line of lenses made pragmatical business sense.
I think the broad based camera market has been flooded with an amazing number of high quality models that are a long way from obsolescence and the prediction of slower sales are a direct result of the abundant supply of nice cameras that are already in use.
Hugh
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Faced with declining sales revenues due to projected lower camera sales volumes, it appears to me that some of the camera makers are attempting to make up the anticipated revenue shortfall by offering a combination of camera body, batteries, grips, and new lenses which taken as a total system cost more than one might suspect. It remains to be seen if they are going to be successful or if the higher prices mean they will actually make fewer sales and have less sales revenue overall perhaps resulting in some maker dropping out of the camera market.

Something to consider is some of the new cameras are being offered with f/4 lens deals that may make the camera seem affordable, but when the cost of one or more f2.8 lenses desirable for indoor video or photography are considered, IMO, the costs go up dramatically.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search