The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Video cameras Condenser Microphones
Old 6 days ago
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Yannick's Avatar
 

I currently own a Panasonic GX80, which does a great job when shooting in 4K and then exporting as 1080p.

As I have 2-3 very good lenses (had an ancient m43 photocamera as well), I am looking into the 1300 dollar Blackmagic pocket cinema 4K (which has a free Resolve copy included !).

It shoots unlimited,continuous (its a camera), it has prores & raw (soon blackmagic braw), and you can connect a cheap Samsung T5 USB3 1-2TB harddisc, and record straight to that.

As a bonus, it has very good lowlight performance as well.

The price makes it a no-brainer for high-quality concert shooting (on tripods, it has no stabilisation).

For the price of a GH5S, you buy two of them, it has at least equal video performance (color will be better), and better codec.

Old 6 days ago
  #62
Lives for gear
I wonder if the m4/3 format is going to be with us 5 or 10 years from now or if the full frame and crop sensor cameras from Nikon, Canon, Fuji, and Sony are going to crush the m4/3 format. That's something to keep in mind before spending a lot on m4/3 bodies and lens.
Old 5 days ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
I wonder if the m4/3 format is going to be with us 5 or 10 years from now or if the full frame and crop sensor cameras from Nikon, Canon, Fuji, and Sony are going to crush the m4/3 format. That's something to keep in mind before spending a lot on m4/3 bodies and lens.
Maybe. But smallness, unlimited recording, high battery life and IBS in the MFT cameras will make them last. Full frame is also tech posturing a little I think. Even Panasonic have announced a FF camera, but the GH5, GH5s, GH4 are very capable cameras. Also the BMPCC 4k and the Micro 4k have MFT mounts. Most controlled video shoots have plenty of light.
Old 5 days ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
Overheating in FF sensors is still a problem for long video sessions. MFT does not have this problem.
Old 5 days ago
  #65
Gear Maniac
 

I also think MFT is going to be around for quite a while. Panasonic and Olympus (and Leica) continue to develop new lenses and new cameras. And lenses from most other common mounts (except Sony E-mount) can be used on MFT cameras with adapters. You can buy a MFT camera like the BMD Pocket 4K and never actually use a MFT lens on it -- you can use PL-mount cinema lenses, Nikon lenses, Canon lenses, Zeiss lenses, and Leica lenses on it, among others, plus lots of vintage glass.
Old 5 days ago
  #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
I wonder if the m4/3 format is going to be with us 5 or 10 years from now or if the full frame and crop sensor cameras from Nikon, Canon, Fuji, and Sony are going to crush the m4/3 format. That's something to keep in mind before spending a lot on m4/3 bodies and lens.
In addition to the overheating problems and such, there's still lots of banding, rolling shutter, etc effects in the video output of many full-frame cameras. Sony's especially bad with banding artifacts. Some FF, like the new Canon EOS R, are using crop sensors when shooting 4k as well and perform considerably worse than a pannie gh5 family camera in many situations. Maybe 5 years from now the full frames will be there, but at the moment that's not where I'd put my money.

For 4k, the GH5S is pretty well optimized in terms of sensor/pixel size, and provides excellent hands-on control of what you need. It reliably does what it's supposed to as well. There's loads of lenses for the system, including plenty with stepless apertures, etc. You really need to step up to a considerably higher price bracket to do much better. If 8k video becomes mainstream, though, "all bets are off."
Old 5 days ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
I'd suggest taking a careful look at the new Fuji XT-3, particularly if you are outputting to a Ninja.
Here is a review of sorts.
YouTube

But it is actually a much more sterling endorsement of the camera that actually filmed this review. Guess which camera he's using?
Old 5 days ago
  #68
Lives for gear
For music-related stuff, I use a pair of GH5. Otherwise, Leica M.
Old 5 days ago
  #69
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Here is a review of sorts.
YouTube

But it is actually a much more sterling endorsement of the camera that actually filmed this review. Guess which camera he's using?
It would have been tough to make a video of himself using the XT3 if he had used the XT3 to make the video.

Comparison summary begins at 13:40: YouTube

and also: YouTube direct comparison of GH5 v XT3.

Generally, the criticisms appear to be the internal battery life and lack of a rotating flip out screen, and the internal video recording life is limited to 30 minutes. http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...talogue_01.pdf It looks like there may be a way to use an external power bank, but I'm not clear on that just yet.

Some of the the strengths would be the quick and accurate AF, the larger sensor, and to my eye, color rendition, not to mention Fuji's dial controls and build quality.
Old 5 days ago
  #70
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
In addition to the overheating problems and such, there's still lots of banding, rolling shutter, etc effects in the video output of many full-frame cameras. Sony's especially bad with banding artifacts. Some FF, like the new Canon EOS R, are using crop sensors when shooting 4k as well and perform considerably worse than a pannie gh5 family camera in many situations. Maybe 5 years from now the full frames will be there, but at the moment that's not where I'd put my money.

For 4k, the GH5S is pretty well optimized in terms of sensor/pixel size, and provides excellent hands-on control of what you need. It reliably does what it's supposed to as well. There's loads of lenses for the system, including plenty with stepless apertures, etc. You really need to step up to a considerably higher price bracket to do much better. If 8k video becomes mainstream, though, "all bets are off."
Nicely put.

I'm a long time GH4 user; slowly getting ready to upgrade, but will get the GH5(non-S) as I shoot with a lot of vintage lenses and would appreciate the in-body stabilization.

I know I'm not the first person to rue the omission of that feature from the S model, but rue it I shall.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump