The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peripheral Goodness Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

Peripheral Goodness

We all love our gear, and want to present a professional appearance at sessions. I have recently been perusing the many elegant mic mounting solutions used by members of the taperssection forums, from vark bars, nbobs, custom cables, etc, many of which make my normal setups look clunky and unsophisticated.

What are some of the mounting solutions, stereo bars, mic clips, shock mounts, cables, customized stands, or other peripheral gear have you incorporated into your setup that you believe help you achieve an elegant, professional appearance for your remote rig? Pictures would help. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11th October 2017
Gear Nut

In the category of "other peripheral gear," I regularly use my DIY low-profile XLR connectors in single, dual, and four channel looms to minimize visual clutter and to keep cabling neat. An example below shows two mics with these connectors in a Shapeways mic mount, itself held in a Rycote lyre shockmount.

In another example, I use my 4-channel loom for Faulkner's 4-way phased array. Ironically, the light in this picture reveals a conspicuous stereo bar that is unfinished aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Peripheral Goodness-31-final-connector.jpg   Peripheral Goodness-33-stereo-setup.jpg   Peripheral Goodness-img_1548.jpg  
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks Steve. I assume your AB wide bar is DIY. Where did you get the units that attach the bar to the stand and to attach your mic clips to the bar?
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

Old 12th October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Thanks Steve. I assume your AB wide bar is DIY. Where did you get the units that attach the bar to the stand and to attach your mic clips to the bar?
The mic mounts shown on my wide stereo bar are from a Sabra Som ST4 stereo bar.

Because the Sabra Som bar is too short (about a foot, as I recall), I ordered several feet of 0.375" aluminum hex bar and simply cut my stereo bar to size. With a file I made a few light notches on the bar to indicate common mic mount spacings, e.g., 28". The Sabra Som mounts slide and clamp on perfectly. The finishing touch (pun intended) would have been to black anodize the aluminum bar. Unless stage lights catch the bar just right, as shown so horribly in my picture, the bare aluminum is not egregious.
Old 12th October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Ted Gakidis makes very nice custom cables of all kinds, which I enjoy - GAKables. His Facebook page shows several varieties:
https://www.facebook.com/GAKables/?r...homepage_panel
Those look outstanding. Thanks for recommending. Since I make my own cables, it wasn't a stretch to make my own connectors. And it was lot of fun. DIY isn't for everyone, however, so your resource looks like a solid hit.
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrReid View Post

In another example, I use my 4-channel loom for Faulkner's 4-way phased array. Ironically, the light in this picture reveals a conspicuous stereo bar that is unfinished aluminum.
I like the long bar! Where did you find it?
Old 13th October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I like the long bar! Where did you find it?
Right there in Post #5 .
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

I think Grace Spacebars are fantastic and elegant solutions for setting up a stereo pair, or doing two pairs. I have the 30cm and 66cm bars. Love them.

Here's a link with pics that are easy to see.

spacebar stereo systems

-Tom
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

I'm an AEA bar man myself.

D.
Old 18th October 2017
Gear Head

Just ordered one of these. Very fast and responsive service, it’s being DHL’d to me now... He even refunded me 30 Euros, unprompted, when he found a better price for shipping!

https://shop.mikrofonschiene.de/Basis_AB
Old 18th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
Just ordered one of these.
+1 for the mic-bar.com

Very flexible, I just used three of them in a row for the choir last sunday:
Attached Thumbnails
Peripheral Goodness-image.jpg  
Old 18th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduncan View Post
+1 for the mic-bar.com

Very flexible, I just used three of them in a row for the choir last sunday:
Excellent! Looking forward to mine. Love the modular approach, too. I’m starting wtih the basic AB, which is probably all I’ll ever need but it’s good to know it can grow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search