The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

lightweight monitors for remote classical Studio Monitors
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Depends on budget.

Another firm vote for Neumann 120s here on the low end of the budget scale.

The Geithain RL 906 are great in the mid price.

My favourite portable is the ATC 20aslmk2.
But they are at the high end of the price bracket.
Old 3rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
Depends on budget.

Another firm vote for Neumann 120s here on the low end of the budget scale.

The Geithain RL 906 are great in the mid price.

My favourite portable is the ATC 20aslmk2.
But they are at the high end of the price bracket.
Have you done substantial listening on all three? If so, how would you compare them?
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
Have you done substantial listening on all three? If so, how would you compare them?
I have heard all three and each is excellent in its own way and probably each the best there is in their price bracket.

I still think that the KH 120 are the best at the price - I used to use the forerunner, the K+H O110, before I upgraded to the RL 906.

I did a comparison of the O 110 against the KH 120 and they were so close as to be almost the same. The RL 906 was a good step up.

A friend had the earlier ATC - the ones with the metal case - they were excellent, but hernia heavy and he did have problems with a quiet hum that, after going back to ATC was still there.

The ATC are excellent and have a larger bass driver - they come about half way betewwn the RL 906 and RL944K.

Any of these I would put top of the class at their price bracket.

You *really* need to know what your budget is, how far you can stretch, and listen properly to each in your location.

Both Neumann and Geithain do cases and/or transit bags for these monitors for location work (and ATC did cases for the metal 120s) and both design for compatbility - eg: I use my RL 906 on location and the sound is the same on my RL 944K back at base (but with a better bass extension on the 944K).

UPDATE - Neumann tell me they have now discontinued the bags and cases for the KH120, though they still have KH310 bags left.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by John Willett; 4th October 2017 at 03:06 PM..
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear

Yes I've done a LOT of listening on all three. Mainly because I used to lug around a second pair of ATC 50ASL on remote gigs. YES i was F-ing crazy, but I wanted to work with what I knew inside out - also years of working in live rigging meant that moving a 50KG speaker became childsplay. After major knee surgery I became more focused on lighter loads and spent 3 months with a pair of all three in the car with me on every gig.

The ME-Geithain came onto my radar after using their big brothers in a BBC OB van.

The Neumanns - I had always liked the 3-way K+H o300 so thought that the baby brother might sound good.

The ATC 20mk2 was a natural side step from the 50s ( and had used the STUPID heavy metal version MK1s which I always liked) That much weight really does limit self resonance issues which when you are talking about low end on a small speaker is a BIG factor.
That said, my idea of portable is - I KNOW - different from most, the MKiis weigh in at 28KG each - but they are physically SMALL.

My favourite is the ATC, then the ME-Geithain - tonal balance is better on the ATC, sweet spot on the ME-Geithain requires less physical space. ATC also has a much more solid low end - due to being a sealed box. it's TIGHT.

The neumanns sound to me like what Genelec WISHES it's small speakers sounded like.
very even - tweeter doesn't "bark" at you, under 7 KG each. translate nicely.

I'm biased but the ATC come first in sound, the Geithain have and amazing sound for the size but not as strong on image or idea of "black" behind the speaker. Neumann are the best of the micro monitor bunch in terms of sound vs price vs weight.

I went with the ATC and now have 2 pairs - sold the second pair of 50s.
One lives at the studio the other lives at home or on the now occasional live /remote gig.
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear

unfair of me to not mention that the 906 is the lightest of the three so if portability is a deciding factor - as in a bag you can carry in one hand - then the 906 gives you the best middle ground between sound, price and weight.

ATC still my fav though ;-)
Old 5th October 2017
0VU
Gear Addict

I usually use a pair of the metal bodied, Mk1 ATC 20s for stereo work and but I do have three more of them, with an ATC SCM 0.1/15SL sub, for surround work. I also still have a pair of SCM100ASL which used to be my standard monitor on location but I conceded to age last year (mine, not the speakers) and sold the flight cases to help reduce the temptation to carry them around. (It worked and they haven't left their stands since.)

Didn't see the point in piping up with this before as the thread specifically called for light weight speakers and ATC are many things but light weight is never going to be one of their attributes. Add some decent flightcases and they can be quite solid little lumps to carry around. Though the feeling of relief when putting down a pair of flightcased metal SCM20s after carrying them a couple of hundred yards and up some steps, is very pleasant. My knees almost emit a chorus of thanks as I set down the 70-odd kg of extra load. I guess after many years of using SCM100s on location, even the the metal SCM20s feel like a good 'portable' alternative.

I auditioned some of the new Genelec One series speakers recently and was pleasantly amazed at them. I'm just waiting to get hold of some for an extended trial but on a first, fairly brief, hearing they were the first speakers to make me seriously think about replacing my SCM20s (and I've never been a huge fan of Genelec for making balance decisions on). Though I did like a lot of things about some little Amphions I used a few months back (not sure what model they were but they seemed very clean and neutral with really good imaging and the balances I got through them worked fine on the ATCs at home).

(Oh, and none of my ATCs hum even slightly. I have, however, noticed tiny cracks starting to form around the bolt holes where the front baffles are secured to the rear case casting on the two oldest speakers. Nothing seems to be moving and there aren't (yet) any untoward effects on the sound of the speakers but they're definitely cracking. Probably time to get them back to ATC. In fairness, the speakers have been lugged around in flight cases for over 20 years with only a couple of trips to ATC over theat time for driver upgrades, and they've never given me any trouble.)
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

Haven't heard about or heard ATC monitors before. Seems to be a way higher end brand than the Genelecs.

For this price-tag , I want to be able to use them as main monitors as well.
so how to use the ATC 20s as main speaker? adding a sub?
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear
Not an ATC fanboy myself
Event Opals have scale
AVI DM5 are small powerful and have excellent mid band
Still prefer my HD 800
Roger
Old 10th October 2017
Check out Eve Ausios SC 205 or even the 203....
They provide a magnetic Grid to save the AMT from being damaged when you are on the run
They also sound amazing for their size.
Perect mix of flat frequency response + tight bass.
Cheers
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

I am waiting for the new room response adjustment software for the Neumann 80. Not released yet. It will tune the monitor to offer as good a playback as possible in the room / closet / toilet where you are set up.
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Addict

is this software already available for the KH120?
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
Haven't heard about or heard ATC monitors before. Seems to be a way higher end brand than the Genelecs.

For this price-tag , I want to be able to use them as main monitors as well.
so how to use the ATC 20s as main speaker? adding a sub?

Fantastic mains both with and without a sub. I like the sub, but that's another 6k on top.
Old 13th October 2017
OAE
Here for the gear
I would also consider Genelecs new 8331. It´s a small 3way coaxial monitor with GLM room calibration. Of course not very lightweight but much lighter than 1032.
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
is this software already available for the KH120?
Hello Fred,

The software is for the 80 speakers and it is not out yet. I heard it will be out in December or after the first of the year.

There is no software for use with the 120.
Old 14th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hello Fred,

The software is for the 80 speakers and it is not out yet. I heard it will be out in December or after the first of the year.

There is no software for use with the 120.
Thanks for the info Plush.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search