The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An alternative to Soundfield and other multi-element mics ? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomoverrando View Post
so, at this point, did anybody tried the rode NT-SF1?
Is there any review around?
I’m also very interested in a review from someone that has used this mic.

At AES last month, there were a number of interesting presentations about ambisonic microphones. One of the most interesting to me was from Univ of Rochester where I had the opportunity to ask how the recordings from the ambisonic mics compared with the ones they were making simultaneously with a Neumann binaural head. The professor responded that the ambisonic microphone did not have good frequency response in the low end when compared to the binaural. Upon further questioning, he couldn’t determine whether this was an issue with the capsules, the processing, or what. They were using the Eigenmike in this comparison.

This really surprised me because the whole idea that they were presenting was an effort to make accurate archival recordings and provide good audio for live-streams of classical concerts at Eastman. Inferior frequency response is a huge negative in this situation and something that I had not heard about previously.

Does anyone else with experience using ambisonic microphones have frequency response-related feedback that you can share about these mics? I’m immediately turned off by this poor frequency response and am hoping that I simply misunderstood the professor.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search