The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wind Protection for Shure KSM 141 Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2017
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Wind Protection for Shure KSM 141

Hey all,

Can anyone out there who uses KSM 141 mics for field recording comment on what they use for wind protection? The knurled ring near the capsule makes it kind of difficult to figure out what solution to use.

I'm considering Rycote BBG's, which I guess I'd put on from the back, but that makes for quite a lot of setup and tear down to do each time. Any solution that comes on from the front, though (softies, Movo, etc.), has to be flexible enough to get over the knurled ring and yet tight enough to hold against wind on the smaller diameter section of the body. It's tricky to figure out! I'd like to be recording outside a lot more than I am now, and wind is an issue.

There's a tiny bit of info here that suggests that Rycote doesn't officially support using the bbg with the ksm 141... Not sure what to make of it: shockmount for SDC - rycote inv-7 or shure A53m?

Thanks for any help y'all can give!
Old 18th August 2017
  #2
RPC
Gear Addict
 

Have you considered Shure's A81WS? I've used them on SM81s outside - they're good in a breeze, though i don't know that they'd be up to anything you'd classify as "heavy wind." Shure claims they'll fit an SM57, so they should have enough "give" to get over the ring - just make sure you twist in the direction of the pattern you want.
Old 18th August 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jwh1192's Avatar
this one might fit your mic (mike) microhone .. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoC6S4QAvD_BwE
Old 20th August 2017
  #4
Gear Addict
 
EV676's Avatar
Windtech sells an Ultra Screen series that's sort of a screen within a screen. They claim 20db of wind noise reduction. They come in 3 different diameters. I have a pair which fit my KM84's and MKH 40's. i'm pleased with the way they work.
Old 20th August 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 View Post
Windtech sells an Ultra Screen series that's sort of a screen within a screen. They claim 20db of wind noise reduction. They come in 3 different diameters. I have a pair which fit my KM84's and MKH 40's. i'm pleased with the way they work.
the only thing better would probably be a Blimp like we use for Shotgun Mic's .. the best wind protection out there .. Rycote or the other one escapes me ..

BUT .. i do not see anything, in my searches, that is large enough for the KSM .. but someone esle might be able to find something
Old 21st August 2017
  #6
Gear Addict
 
voltronic's Avatar
 

I haven't used the KSM 141, but I really like the Movo WST screens. They are essentially Rycote SuperSoftie clones. I have the Wind Protection for Shure KSM 141WST50, and it performs extremely well with all of my mics, including the CM3 which I find to be very wind-sensitive. It has a flexible rubber flange at the rear that stretches as you insert the mic and seals tightly around the mic body. The opening in that flange is about 18 mm according to my calipers.

Movo says the WST series can accept mics 19-24mm. For the KSM 141, you'd have to get a set of calipers and measure the diameter of the adjustment ring to see if it exceeds 24mm, and that would dictate which model to get:

1. If it less, then my advice would be to purchase the Wind Protection for Shure KSM 141WST100 so you're sure to get the flange past the ring.

2. If the ring is wider than 24mm, you could go with the WST50 (liked above) and snug the flange up right to the adjustment ring (but not over / past it). This probably isn't as good as Option 1, but the flange does seal snugly, even on a set of 19mm mics I use so you should be OK.

A note about the measurements given for each of the Movo WST series: The WST50 is specified for 3 cm mics, but the inner foam cutout is actually 6 cm deep by my measurements. This makes sense, as you want to be sure you're covering up the back venting on directional mics and then some. So when the WST100 says "for 8 cm", I think you're probably going to have 11-12 cm to work with.

I took a quick glance at Rycote's SuperSoftie specs, and each model has a small range of diameters they are useful for. This is understandable, as Rycote is designing these with specific mics in mind. You might make out with the Movo option simply because of the 19-24mm range.
Old 21st August 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
I haven't used the KSM 141, but I really like the Movo WST screens. They are essentially Rycote SuperSoftie clones. I have the Wind Protection for Shure KSM 141WST50, and it performs extremely well with all of my mics, including the CM3 which I find to be very wind-sensitive. It has a flexible rubber flange at the rear that stretches as you insert the mic and seals tightly around the mic body. The opening in that flange is about 18 mm according to my calipers.

Movo says the WST series can accept mics 19-24mm. For the KSM 141, you'd have to get a set of calipers and measure the diameter of the adjustment ring to see if it exceeds 24mm, and that would dictate which model to get:

1. If it less, then my advice would be to purchase the Wind Protection for Shure KSM 141WST100 so you're sure to get the flange past the ring.

2. If the ring is wider than 24mm, you could go with the WST50 (liked above) and snug the flange up right to the adjustment ring (but not over / past it). This probably isn't as good as Option 1, but the flange does seal snugly, even on a set of 19mm mics I use so you should be OK.

A note about the measurements given for each of the Movo WST series: The WST50 is specified for 3 cm mics, but the inner foam cutout is actually 6 cm deep by my measurements. This makes sense, as you want to be sure you're covering up the back venting on directional mics and then some. So when the WST100 says "for 8 cm", I think you're probably going to have 11-12 cm to work with.

I took a quick glance at Rycote's SuperSoftie specs, and each model has a small range of diameters they are useful for. This is understandable, as Rycote is designing these with specific mics in mind. You might make out with the Movo option simply because of the 19-24mm range.
that looks pretty close to right on ... cool ..
Old 23rd August 2017
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Hey, thanks for the recommendations, all!

FYI, I emailed with Rycote about the BBGs, and they said that they hadn't tested the KSM141, but that the 20mm BBGs would likely work. I'd have to put them on from the back, and they suggested taping over the switches on the body of the mic to ensure wind doesn't get in through there. They recommended against the softies or super softies.

@RPC, I have considered the Big Ass Shures, ya. It's an option, for sure! I think I want something with a bit more wind protection, though.

@voltronic, I've been looking around for those kind of details about the Movo, thanks so much. Having those measurements (and the endorsement) is really helpful. I don't have calipers, but I measure the diameter of the KSM ring at about 24mm; the rest of the body is 20mm wide. From the front of the capsule, the measurements (in mm) are about [email protected] -> [email protected] -> [email protected] (So it's about 48mm from the front of the capsule to the end of the ring.)

Given the price, it seems like the Movo WST is well worth a dice-roll... The question is what length to get. It looks to me like the WST80 or WST100 will work best. The 80 is for mics up to 6cm, and I'd guess that will give me enough to work with. I'll see if I can get 'em in Canada & letcha know how it goes!
Old 11th September 2017
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Hey all,

Just by way of update, I got a pair of Movo WST-80s in the mail today. Preliminary (entirely unscientific!) tests are pretty good: they fit (over the knurl, on the knurl, OR in front of the knurl, actually, with slight differences in the sound profile/wind-resistance of each), and they do reduce wind noise considerably. The only hitch is that because the rubber seal is tight, it feels like they might do damage to the knurled switches if I'm taking them on and off a lot. Still, at a fraction of the price of a pair of BBGs, I think I'll hang on to them for now.
Old 11th September 2017
  #10
Here for the gear
 

... or, depending on exchange etc., I may opt to swap them for the WST-50 and use them in front of the ring. Anyway, if anyone's following along, the MOVO WST-80 is a viable option for the KSM141 (and they interact nicely with the A53m shockmount, too).
Old 11th September 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2the8 View Post
Hey all,

Just by way of update, I got a pair of Movo WST-80s in the mail today. Preliminary (entirely unscientific!) tests are pretty good: they fit (over the knurl, on the knurl, OR in front of the knurl, actually, with slight differences in the sound profile/wind-resistance of each), and they do reduce wind noise considerably. The only hitch is that because the rubber seal is tight, it feels like they might do damage to the knurled switches if I'm taking them on and off a lot. Still, at a fraction of the price of a pair of BBGs, I think I'll hang on to them for now.
Those 'knurled switches' are completely mechanical - they just close the ports behind the capsule - so I doubt you would damage them by frequent application of the windscreen. Speaking of windscreens, has any one tried the black foam screens that come with the KSM 141? Just ordinary, meh?
Old 11th September 2017
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Those 'knurled switches' are completely mechanical - they just close the ports behind the capsule - so I doubt you would damage them by frequent application of the windscreen. Speaking of windscreens, has any one tried the black foam screens that come with the KSM 141? Just ordinary, meh?
Thanks @jimjazzdad. They are mechanical, and the switches do seem to be pretty tough. The issue is that the rubber seal on the MOVO is so tight that it grabs the ring as it comes off, pulling the ring kind of hard toward the capsule (ie. in a direction it's not meant to move). I can see that there's a bit of give there, and over time I'd worry that whatever mechanism is keeping the ring on will wear. More probably, though, the seal will just get a little softer, and the whole thing will be a non-issue.

I have tried the little windscreens that come with the mics, ya. They are maybe almost OK for calming plosives, but that's about it. They do nothing to cut down on wind, as far as I can tell.
Old 11th September 2017
  #13
Gear Nut
 
ronmac's Avatar
I haven't used the Movo series, but do have the Rode version. They are by far inferior to the Rycote BBG Windshield and BBG Windjammer system, IMO.

The advantage of the Rycote series is the relatively huge area of "dead air" inside the BBG Windshield. This mitigates external air pressure variances much better than a capsule tightly surrounded by open cell foam. The two-stage Rycote system also gives you a better chance in extreme conditions of reducing the unwanted.

In some cases "almost as good as" is good enough, but you only need to be let down once in a mission critical situation to realize the money saved just wasn't worth it.
Old 11th September 2017
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Thanks @ronmac, that is very helpful. I think I will hang on to the MOVO for now (because why not), but I'll probably spring for the BBG, too. Maybe I can post a comparison before long.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
szegedin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
I haven't used the KSM 141, but I really like the Movo WST screens. They are essentially Rycote SuperSoftie clones. I have the Wind Protection for Shure KSM 141WST50, and it performs extremely well with all of my mics, including the CM3 which I find to be very wind-sensitive. It has a flexible rubber flange at the rear that stretches as you insert the mic and seals tightly around the mic body. The opening in that flange is about 18 mm according to my calipers.

Movo says the WST series can accept mics 19-24mm. For the KSM 141, you'd have to get a set of calipers and measure the diameter of the adjustment ring to see if it exceeds 24mm, and that would dictate which model to get:

1. If it less, then my advice would be to purchase the Wind Protection for Shure KSM 141WST100 so you're sure to get the flange past the ring.

2. If the ring is wider than 24mm, you could go with the WST50 (liked above) and snug the flange up right to the adjustment ring (but not over / past it). This probably isn't as good as Option 1, but the flange does seal snugly, even on a set of 19mm mics I use so you should be OK.

A note about the measurements given for each of the Movo WST series: The WST50 is specified for 3 cm mics, but the inner foam cutout is actually 6 cm deep by my measurements. This makes sense, as you want to be sure you're covering up the back venting on directional mics and then some. So when the WST100 says "for 8 cm", I think you're probably going to have 11-12 cm to work with.

I took a quick glance at Rycote's SuperSoftie specs, and each model has a small range of diameters they are useful for. This is understandable, as Rycote is designing these with specific mics in mind. You might make out with the Movo option simply because of the 19-24mm range.
Don't know if you use the Rycote shock mounts, but if so, do you know if that Movo WST50 is too heavy for the Rycote INV-7? .... on the off chance that you have used it with that type of mount. I think Rycote is saying one should use the heavier-duty INV-7 HG mkiii with their Super Softie (which I think it bigger, heavier) but I want the lightest possible shock mount for the Schoeps. Thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Don't know if you use the Rycote shock mounts, but if so, do you know if that Movo WST50 is too heavy for the Rycote INV-7? .... on the off chance that you have used it with that type of mount. I think Rycote is saying one should use the heavier-duty INV-7 HG mkiii with their Super Softie (which I think it bigger, heavier) but I want the lightest possible shock mount for the Schoeps. Thoughts?
For any mic (eg mic with softie) where you have
extra length and/or weight on one end, go with the INV7 HG MKIII. Also I find it very useful for holding piggy-backed (for MS) MKH30+ 8040.
I also use it for holding my SRS 3-D printed:
ORTF mount with 8040’s, XY mount with 8040’s
and nose to nose Blumlein mount with MKH30’s.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
The advantage of the Rycote series is the relatively huge area of "dead air" inside the BBG Windshield.
Do you find that this affects the higher frequencies in the recording? I read somewhere that the BBG is less transparent than a fake fur windscreen.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump