The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telarc Bruckner - Curious about mic usage/placement Microphone Accessories
Old 2nd August 2017
Gear Nut

Telarc Bruckner - Curious about mic usage/placement

Just picked up a 1989 Telarc recording of Bruckner's 7th, Jesus Lopez-Cobos conducting the Cincinnati Symphony. Jack Renner was the engineer and used, according to the notes, only MKH20 and Schoeps MK3. Michael Bishop was technical assistant.

Knowing that some of the forum regulars are familiar with Mr. Renner's techniques, I was curious if anyone might shed some light on likely placement for these microphones. In particular, the definition of the strings and winds are superb -- excellent balance and very natural sound. I wonder if MK3 were selected to extract more detail here. The percussion sounds distant enough that it's hard to picture any (omni) mics being used nearby to spotlight the winds somewhat, although I freely admit that is pure conjecture based on very limited experience.

In general, the disc seems to have all of the benefits associated with omni microphones while not relying on the use of any directional microphones to achieve such a balanced portrayal of full orchestra. I would love to hear if anyone can share some educated guesses!
Old 2nd August 2017
Gear Maniac

Bobby Owsinski interviewed Michael Bishop - Episode #170 – Whiz Passes Psy, Gibson Buys Onkyo, And Engineer Michael Bishop | Bobby Owsinski's Inner Circle Podcast - recently. Mr. Bishop talked a fair bit about mic placement that was used while he was recording for Telarc. If I recall correctly he talked about 4 omni microphones spread out for "coverage" and possibly the use of some targeted mics. Much closer to the orchestra than you would expect.

You may be able to gain more insight from the folks at Michael Bishop | Five/Four Productions

Pretty much all of the Telarc recordings of orchestras are "remarkably realistic" - I have lots of them. Family performed on some with Atlanta Symphony and Chorus w/Robert Shaw.
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Nut

facej, thanks very much for the link! Listening now, and it is indeed very interesting. I saw there was another interview with Bishop from some years back which was linked on the forums here, but it seems no longer to be available, at least at the original source. Much obliged
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear
Old 4th August 2017
RPC
Gear Maniac

Telarc recorded the Milwaukee Symphony performing Smetana's Ma Vlast back when we were recording them for Koss Classics. I recall part of the Telarc "sound" came from packing the musicians very tightly together, almost uncomfortably so.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Michael post on these forums from time to time why not just PM him?
Old 4th August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
Telarc recorded the Milwaukee Symphony performing Smetana's Ma Vlast back when we were recording them for Koss Classics. I recall part of the Telarc "sound" came from packing the musicians very tightly together, almost uncomfortably so.
This makes a lot of sense, especially if mostly (or entirely) omnis were used, as in the example I mentioned in my first post. In that recording one notices how just about everything in the orchestra is presented at an intuitively "correct" distance (to my ears, at least) and I can definitely imagine how this tighter seating would help achieve this. Only the percussion sounds slightly distant, but by no means in a detrimental way -- simply the way it might in performance depending on one's seating. Thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Michael post on these forums from time to time why not just PM him?
Thanks, I had thought that he was pretty much absent from the forums these days since the vast majority of his posts are from 2011 or earlier, but will send him a message just in case... While of course nothing can substitute for information directly from him (or in this case Jack Renner), I do appreciate some of the other experienced folks here sharing their opinions/knowledge.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search