The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which recorder? Denon dn-700r vs. Tascam DA-3000 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st July 2017
Gear Addict

which recorder? Denon dn-700r vs. Tascam DA-3000

I'm trying to decide my next purchase of a solid state recorder for on location recording. Looking at the Denon 700r and the Tascam DA3000. Mainly for two channel classical. For live concerts I would feed it direct from external preamps, for CD releases I would feed it AES from my Apogee Symphony converters.

I'm perfectly happy with 24/96 so I don't care about DSD, and I don't care about network features. I am wondering though whether they are in the same class sound quality wise, eg converters, clocking, and analog circuitry. 400$ price difference. Are the Tascam converters likely markedly better? The dynamic range specs on the Tascam are a bit higher.

If anyone can comment from experience to help my decision I'd be grateful.
Old 31st July 2017
Engagement Manager

No experience with the Denon but a huge fan of the DA 3000
It's conversion stood up really well against my Lavry GOLD & Crane song HEDD among others
Old 31st July 2017
Gear Addict

Wow, that's quite an endorsement! I'm leaning that way, but am very intetested to hear user feedback. For my most critical stuff I'd use my Apogee converters but I'm looking to get more portable for live recordings, the Symphony is a little big to lug around and I'd love to lose the computer.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

#3000 machine has been excellent here. Very reliable and with excellent sound.

Conversion on the machine is excellent and retrieves very good low level detail.

Flexibility of using CF card of SD card is appealing. I take the card out and transfer the files to my editing computer.

I only use a fraction of the features of the machine, basically as a tape recorder.

DSD sounds good on the machine but not that much better than pcm.

Endorsed and recommended.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Head

Pardon me for throwing another idea at you, but have you looked into the Korg MR-2000?
Old 7th September 2017
Korg used custom ADC chips. Tascam uses BurrBrown.
Old 8th September 2017
Gear Addict

I also use a Tascam DA-3000 with a Millennia preamp for stereo Classical recordings and the results are unbeatable. I also use 24/96 with the SD card and find it has the most accurate capture. The other sampling rates are not as clear and the CF card for some reason is a bit softer. Also I find that the 17 db default setting is best 22 is soft and 9 is hard.
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Korg used custom ADC chips. Tascam uses BurrBrown.
No.
Korg MR-1000, old MR-2000 and newer MR-2000S uses PCM4202 ADC chip - like DA-3000.
Look inside -
Korg MR-2000S: Looking What’s Under the Hood – Jimmy's Junkyard

The old Tascam DV-RA1000HD uses PCM4222 multi-bit ADC chip, PCM4202 is (the last?) true 1-bit converter.
Old 29th September 2017
Here for the gear

interested in your preamp & monitor set up too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 View Post
I also use a Tascam DA-3000 with a Millennia preamp for stereo Classical recordings and the results are unbeatable. I also use 24/96 with the SD card and find it has the most accurate capture. The other sampling rates are not as clear and the CF card for some reason is a bit softer. Also I find that the 17 db default setting is best 22 is soft and 9 is hard.
That sounds like a great way to record live.... I dont want to divert the OP's main thread, but could you comment on which specific Millennia pre you use, and also what you use for monitoring?

Also, have you ever compared the option you're using with something like the Prism Lyra 2 into a laptop?

Thanks, Paul
Old 29th September 2017
Gear Addict

Hi Paul, most of what I record are live concerts so I'm using the Sennheiser HD-25 phones. The Millennia is the HV-32P which I also use with batteries. Never used a Lyra 2 but that's the unit I would consider if using an interface.
Old 29th September 2017
Here for the gear

...thanks for that...nice system indeed!
Old 2nd October 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 View Post
Hi Paul, most of what I record are live concerts so I'm using the Sennheiser HD-25 phones. The Millennia is the HV-32P which I also use with batteries. Never used a Lyra 2 but that's the unit I would consider if using an interface.
Thanks...I prefer to lose the laptop too. I have the Zoom F4, & am interested in adding the Millennia to that to get better quality sound in....(I have no idea how the Zoom would compare with the Tascam DA-3000, they look very different beasts)
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search