The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A simple question...How do you guys afford all this stuff? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 9th June 2017
  #121
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
In aviation, we old pilots gripe about the kids who are now flying behind computer screens that give them situational awareness via visual presentations and moving maps. We had to look at multiple different gauges, correlate/crosscheck the information, and build a mental concept of where we actually were, where we were actually going, and correlate that to a paper chart.
My grandfather was a pilot during WWII. He would have said he did not have the luxury of knowing where they were, or where they were actually going, he was busy drawing your paper chart.
Old 9th June 2017
  #122
Gear Addict
 

Old 9th June 2017
  #123
Lives for gear
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post

In aviation, we old pilots gripe about the kids who are now flying behind computer screens that give them situational awareness via visual presentations and moving maps. We had to look at multiple different gauges, correlate/crosscheck the information, and build a mental concept of where we actually were, where we were actually going, and correlate that to a paper chart. They just look at their screen, and see their position on the digital chart. If they have to, they can still do the work in their head. I think it's just human nature to complain when other people don't have to work as hard as we did for the same results.
I have flown both types of aircraft (40 hour dual instruction not yet a pilot) and although I learned on the older type of displays the new "glass cockpits" area joy to fly and navigate. The one thing I worry about is that young pilots will forget how to fly with only their five basic flight instruments when the screens go dark for any number of reasons. FWIW.
Old 9th June 2017
  #124
Gear Head
 

I'm not a pilot myself, but I did read an amusing quote somewhere: "the only instrument which is absolutely essential in a single-engine airplane is the oil pressure gauge; everything else is a luxury".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have flown both types of aircraft (40 hour dual instruction not yet a pilot) and although I learned on the older type of displays the new "glass cockpits" area joy to fly and navigate. The one thing I worry about is that young pilots will forget how to fly with only their five basic flight instruments when the screens go dark for any number of reasons. FWIW.
Old 9th June 2017
  #125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have flown both types of aircraft (40 hour dual instruction not yet a pilot) and although I learned on the older type of displays the new "glass cockpits" area joy to fly and navigate. The one thing I worry about is that young pilots will forget how to fly with only their five basic flight instruments when the screens go dark for any number of reasons. FWIW.
I'm a CFI - so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 10th June 2017
  #126
Lives for gear
 
AudioWonderland's Avatar
 

The question of how to afford this stuff is actually two questions. 1) How to generate cash to spend and then 2) how to maximize what those dollars get you by identifying sleeper items and then finding those items at great prices.

In response to option 1, I refurb and flip gear to suppliment my budget. I spend a lot of time scouring any and all sources for flip opportunities and deals on gear I can use. A process that serves Item 2 as well. As for item 2, you have to be willing to pass on the Mercedes and drive a Honda so to speak.

For example, $500 can get you a used WA76 if you are a bit lucky. No one would argue that a good 1176 clone at that price is a bad thing. But if you know what you are looking for and have some patience that same $500 will check a lot more boxes. The brand recognition probably won't lure in any clients but the gear will get results
Old 17th June 2017
  #127
Gear Head
 

I have found that there is still a desire by a musical group to have a good recording of the performance, but there is not enough desire to pay much for it. Most groups want instant gratification on social media, and a cell phone capture of one or two minutes within a couple of hours of the performance is good enough. The lack of media choices complicates it all as well. A high school band director recently asked me about distributing the bands recording on-line. This was driven by the fact that most of his students did not own a CD player, and the ones that did had the CD player in their computer.

I don't need to buy the latest A/D convertors, or another pair of Schoeps to spot mic parts of the ensemble for these types of clients, because they are asking how we can get the price down further, and the speakers in the computer will not let the listener hear the improved product.

I do buy new pieces of equipment to help my workflow, and sometimes I buy new or used pieces to replace a weak link in my signal chain. But, I don't have a need for two or three recording setups these days as the work is not there to support double and triple bookings. I have not brought in someone to cover a recording date in two or three years. But I am staying busy enough for me.

Doug
Old 17th June 2017
  #128
Gear Addict
 
esldude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm View Post
I have found that there is still a desire by a musical group to have a good recording of the performance, but there is not enough desire to pay much for it. Most groups want instant gratification on social media, and a cell phone capture of one or two minutes within a couple of hours of the performance is good enough. The lack of media choices complicates it all as well. A high school band director recently asked me about distributing the bands recording on-line. This was driven by the fact that most of his students did not own a CD player, and the ones that did had the CD player in their computer.

I don't need to buy the latest A/D convertors, or another pair of Schoeps to spot mic parts of the ensemble for these types of clients, because they are asking how we can get the price down further, and the speakers in the computer will not let the listener hear the improved product.

I do buy new pieces of equipment to help my workflow, and sometimes I buy new or used pieces to replace a weak link in my signal chain. But, I don't have a need for two or three recording setups these days as the work is not there to support double and triple bookings. I have not brought in someone to cover a recording date in two or three years. But I am staying busy enough for me.

Doug
I, as an amateur, have run into the same problem. Not just kids either. CD players, and CDs are effectively obsolete. You need to come to terms with that. The majority of consumed music is not via CD, and the trend is only going to erode CD further. I also see the same issue with playback. I have recorded groups and no one in the group has a way of listening to the result in even middling quality. Typically if someone has a fairly new car with a somewhat premium stereo that is as good as they will get to hear it. It is disconcerting to think of the ways you try and do a really nice recording in the face of those realities. They are the realities however, and they aren't going to change back.
Old 17th June 2017
  #129
Lives for gear
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm View Post
I have found that there is still a desire by a musical group to have a good recording of the performance, but there is not enough desire to pay much for it. Most groups want instant gratification on social media, and a cell phone capture of one or two minutes within a couple of hours of the performance is good enough. The lack of media choices complicates it all as well. A high school band director recently asked me about distributing the bands recording on-line. This was driven by the fact that most of his students did not own a CD player, and the ones that did had the CD player in their computer.

I don't need to buy the latest A/D convertors, or another pair of Schoeps to spot mic parts of the ensemble for these types of clients, because they are asking how we can get the price down further, and the speakers in the computer will not let the listener hear the improved product.

I do buy new pieces of equipment to help my workflow, and sometimes I buy new or used pieces to replace a weak link in my signal chain. But, I don't have a need for two or three recording setups these days as the work is not there to support double and triple bookings. I have not brought in someone to cover a recording date in two or three years. But I am staying busy enough for me.

Doug
Today it is all about getting things up on the WWW as fast as possible. The heck with quality or what will happen down the road.

One of the groups we use to record puts all their media up on line. Recently something happened to their on line content (it all got erased when a server crashed) and they were "stupid" enough NOT to have a backup. Too bad but maybe this will teach them to always backup their materials. If we had done the recording then we would have had a backup copy.

I too have enough equipment to do three simultaneous concerts but the last time we had to do that was years ago. I guess its time to cull what I have and sell off what I don't need.

I still don't trust the "streaming" aspect of the WWW and prefer to have physical media in my hands and not trust some server somewhere to always have the materials ready to go when I need them. Just me being old fashion.
FWIW
Old 17th June 2017
  #130
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
CD players, and CDs are effectively obsolete. You need to come to terms with that. The majority of consumed music is not via CD, and the trend is only going to erode CD further. I also see the same issue with playback. I have recorded groups and no one in the group has a way of listening to the result in even middling quality. It is disconcerting to think of the ways you try and do a really nice recording in the face of those realities. They are the realities however, and they aren't going to change back.
Agreed and understood. I am not looking to change it, but you have to take that in to account when you decide how to record something, how to mix something, how much extra time to put in to the end product. I have not really changed my expectations of my final product, but the consumer is not hearing that level of quality in their playback system. That affects what new items I am willing to invest in, and that list is fairly small these days. Good thing I guess, since the amount of funds I am getting from recording work for in the capital expenditure area is quite small.

Doug
Old 17th June 2017
  #131
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I too have enough equipment to do three simultaneous concerts but the last time we had to do that was years ago. I guess its time to cull what I have and sell off what I don't need.FWIW
The sad reality is that the equipment you don't need is not worth much. I have two or three extra Masterlinks sitting in the back room for parts machines. I bought them for next to nothing, and I suspect nothing is what I could get out of them. Maybe some scrap money for the metal.

Most of it is worth more to you in case you need it. You just have to store it. I have people trying to give me 8 and 16 track analog machines just to get them out of their house.

Doug
Old 17th June 2017
  #132
Gear Nut
But rest assured that when the day comes that the whole world wide web crashes permanently then people will want CD's again.
Old 17th June 2017
  #133
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
But rest assured that when the day comes that the whole world wide web crashes permanently then people will want CD's again.
Been quite vocal about this the last several years, except with Pure Audio Blu-ray.
Old 18th June 2017
  #134
RPC
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
But rest assured that when the day comes that the whole world wide web crashes permanently then people will want CD's again.
It doesn't need to crash. All we need is an end to Net neutrality: "Oh, that's on YouTube, not VerizonView(tm)? That'll be ten cents per gigabyte, please."
Old 24th June 2017
  #135
Lives for gear
 

Buy really good, high quality gear you don't have to replace every year, and make sure the quality of your work is well above that of everybody else, but especially the amateurs... It is very important that clients come to you for your expertise because almost anybody can buy gear and there is always someone with a bigger microphone than yours.

Charge a fair price for it (your work) but don't give it away, because if you give it away it can't be all that valuable...that's how some people will consider it.
Old 24th June 2017
  #136
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
I read the thread in bits and pieces so this might have been said.

For those of us who aren't struggling to feed a family, there is an undeniable luxury to having even the smallest amount of top-rate gear. Hence the term "gearslutz."

Having gear that works well and produces a superior product is it's own joy.

This is not to say that most of us haven't had to work with stuff we'd rather not. But buying that first piece of kit that you hold in your hands and go "I'm so happy I have this." Well, it's just it's own feeling. So I really understand the draw.

I got a loan (with interest) from an early boss to buy my first two Schoeps. I will never forget the pride of ownership, or fail to be grateful that the man was kind enough to trust my repayment. I paid him monthly and never missed a payment. Good feelings all around.

But I also remember doing an exterior shoot with only a foam wind screen in my kit and going to a 7-11 and buying a pair of Leggs pantyhose, cutting off the foot part and gaff taping it over my wind screen. Got lots of grief from the rest of the crew but it was enough to get me through the day with a much better result. We all do what we gotta do, right?

D.
Old 24th June 2017
  #137
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
I cannot rationalize most of the gear I have. So much of it is really good, while I am not. But when the recording is lousy I cannot blame the gear and when it is good I know I have made that good gear work nearly up to its capabilities. My recent and perhaps only success, with Misa Criolla, made me glad I bought the gear I used there: SD 788T and Samar VL373A. Yes, perhaps Broadhurst would be better pre-amps, perhaps.

I'll settle for what I came away with and try to improve that sound in the future.

And yes, I remember the three hours of elation as I drove home with a pair of Mk4's and an SD 722. Real gear.
Old 24th June 2017
  #138
I'm a physicist that works at SLAC on the world first x-ray laser....so I have plenty of money to buy things outside the quantum world...... just kidding but I do know the guy....
Old 25th June 2017
  #139
Gear Maniac
 
soundthinker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post

But I also remember doing an exterior shoot with only a foam wind screen in my kit and going to a 7-11 and buying a pair of Leggs pantyhose, cutting off the foot part and gaff taping it over my wind screen. Got lots of grief from the rest of the crew but it was enough to get me through the day with a much better result. We all do what we gotta do, right?

D.
Pantyhose over windscreens work well as a rain cover for shotgun mics on sports broadcasts. That was a pro move which the crew just didn't understand.
Old 25th June 2017
  #140
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
I'm a physicist that works at SLAC on the world first x-ray laser....so I have plenty of money to buy things outside the quantum world...... just kidding but I do know the guy....
I can imagine you getting a refund at Best Buy "yes, you claim this micro SD card defies X-rays but here is the proof it doesn't. I want a full refund" hand the sales person a chip of charcoal
"if you'd prefer a synthetic diamond I'll be back tomorrow"
Old 25th June 2017
  #141
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundthinker View Post
Pantyhose over windscreens work well as a rain cover for shotgun mics on sports broadcasts. That was a pro move which the crew just didn't understand.
Never heard of that. I wouldn't have thought nylons would be anywhere near waterproof. I've done it with those thin produce-section bags, but you have to make sure they won't flap in the wind.
Old 25th June 2017
  #142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I can imagine you getting a refund at Best Buy "yes, you claim this micro SD card defies X-rays but here is the proof it doesn't. I want a full refund" hand the sales person a chip of charcoal
"if you'd prefer a synthetic diamond I'll be back tomorrow"
Absolutely....!!
Old 25th June 2017
  #143
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Never heard of that. I wouldn't have thought nylons would be anywhere near waterproof. I've done it with those thin produce-section bags, but you have to make sure they won't flap in the wind.
I could see basic protection if the pantyhose has been treated with silicone spray once or twice and dried properly, but as a former auto body grunt (day job in NOLA one summer) I can tell you it would have to be handled with care because silicone repels more than water and I'll leave it at that.

Neat idea on the produce bag thing, yes that IS incredibly thin and ought to work. I've still never tried condoms and maybe this summer I can immerse that in a milk jug of water and scream at it, 50 years after the Beatles did it.
Old 25th June 2017
  #144
Gear Maniac
 
soundthinker's Avatar
 

Apologies for not completing my thought. Spray the pantyhose with scotch guard or similar water-proofing. And JoeyM is correct, treat them gently. Some of the shotguns at Wrigley Field used to stay in place all season long.
Old 25th June 2017
  #145
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Neat idea on the produce bag thing...
And you can't beat the price.

I've never used them for full immersion, but lots in drizzly weather and for closeups of beer and soda pours and such, where you'd easily notice any major compromise in the high end.
Old 26th June 2017
  #146
Here for the gear
 

If you are prepared to invest the time, you might be surprised by what you can build rather than buy!
Old 26th June 2017
  #147
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And you can't beat the price.

I've never used them for full immersion, but lots in drizzly weather and for closeups of beer and soda pours and such, where you'd easily notice any major compromise in the high end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbmastering View Post
If you are prepared to invest the time, you might be surprised by what you can build rather than buy!
Especially building while sufficient sampling of beer closeups . . .
Old 26th June 2017
  #148
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Especially building while sufficient sampling of beer closeups . . .
Wasn't one of the rules of Fight Club to never sample the product? Or was that Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory? I forget.
Old 26th June 2017
  #149
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Wasn't one of the rules of Fight Club to never sample the product? Or was that Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory? I forget.
Well nowadays sampling is unavoidable but I need to see Fight Club, and a slight touch of chocolate can help a few hours after too many brews.
Old 18th September 2017
  #150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
A simple question but I am wondering how the other members of this forum afford all the wonderful gear you post about?

Here in the middle of a cornfield in Ohio no one wants to pay for remote recording anymore. They either use their ZOOM type recorder gaffer taped to a mic stand or their IPAD put on a stand so they can also record the video of the performance. Our rates were low to begin with and then we lowered them to get some business but it seems no one is the least bit interested.

Just wondering how people here afford to purchase and use all this expensive equipment that you seem to have. Is this an expensive hobby or are you really getting enough business to justify the cost of the recording gear?

Thanks in advance!
Hahaha I love this post, thanks for putting it up brother So it's quite a valid question and I'll take a sec cause I think I have a very accurate answer. Hope this helps:
Firstly, there's some (some, mind you) truth to your statement of location. Here in NYC, I'm tripping over lucrative work. Both session and engineering. Everyone here knows the guy who's on the cover on billbord, rolling stone blah blah blah, 8 out of tn people in the industry I meet are working with the best of the best on the planet and that certainly helps... what I'm trying to say is my geographic location dictates the work I am getting and everyone here is on the top of their game and making heaps of cash doing it. There IS money in audio, contrary to what some say, it is a thriving industry. I've been blessed enough to stack up some incredible gear over the last couple decades by simply hunting them down, barter trading services, trolling the web, and in many cases, buying broken units and resto-modding them (think old Ampex tape heads for $50 and servicing them and they're suddenly worth $700 as a mic pre). Each time I do a gig I "tithe" to my collection a small percentage towards my hoard and I also consider it a saving s account. Believe it or not, you could get a ton of voice over and dub work probably in your local area! Even local radio stations need engineers as do local ad agencies for commercial work. Even live sound (foh or otherwise) at your local "big" venues, if the closest city near you isn't super far. You don't necessarily need to be here in NYC or LA or Nashville but it does make it way way easier to find the best of the best and network your way into jobs that pay very well. You'll find that the engineers on this site who are doing it part time are primarily using their home studios for personal and friend work (making great music!... but not a lot of cash) as where the full time conservatory graduated engineers in top tier studios are actually making a very decent living working on a plethora of audio platforms such as web content, TV, film, music, ad work, voice over etc. Hope that helps Cheers
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump