The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Baptized in an Array of Phasedness Condenser Microphones
Old 1st May 2017
Lives for gear
Baptized in an Array of Phasedness

Straight from the pages of the Book of our Good Lord Tony Faulkner, it's his single bar, dual mic pair, all-Rode Array of Phasedness....scripturally present and correct

NT5 outer omni pair 67cm, NT5 inner cardioid 41cm pair, both sets angled out 45 degrees, into DAV BG8 in a wooden ceiling church. 9 feet and a little bit high, a few feet back from the conductor, as usual

No ambient noise reduction, omni pair 8dB lower than cardioids. It's enough to give you that good old time religion, amen sisters and brothers !
Attached Files

Last edited by studer58; 1st May 2017 at 04:20 PM..
Old 1st May 2017
Gear Nut

Well, don't that sound just heavenly!

I'm also impressed with the sound of NT5 cardioids in your array. I've tried these on choirs (admittedly, children), but I eventually relegated them to other uses because I couldn't get over their bright crispiness on voices.
Old 1st May 2017
Lives for gear

That sounds more like a boojum/jnorman array. Faulkner array uses fig 8 's I think...
Old 1st May 2017
That section where the alto and sopranos are an octave apart gave me chills - the pitch was perfect!
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Addict

Who and where is this?
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Nut

Take me to the river. Glorious sound.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
That sounds more like a boojum/jnorman array. Faulkner array uses fig 8 's I think...
Jim, there are two "Faulkner Arrays." The one mentioned here and the two figure eights as you have mentioned. It has caused endless confusion. Age may heighten it some. Speaking for myself only.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Age has certainly heightened my confusion
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Btw, nice work studer!
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Jim, there are two "Faulkner Arrays." The one mentioned here and the two figure eights as you have mentioned. It has caused endless confusion. Age may heighten it some. Speaking for myself only.
This link explains it...boojum (Sandy) is right, there are indeed two...but credit where it's due I think TonyF got there first... Stereo Masterclass | AudioTechnology Magazine
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
This link explains it...boojum (Sandy) is right, there are indeed two...but credit where it's due I think TonyF got there first... Stereo Masterclass | AudioTechnology Magazine
If Faulkner is not smarter than I am we are all screwed.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Btw, nice work studer!
Thank you, but I like to credit the singers, the church and the hardware (and Tony F) first..they did all the heavy lifting, lol ! Recorded recently in one of the southern states of Australia....on a Sunday, naturally

The main body of singers were well back into the apse area of the church, so they gained the advantage of the reflections from the curved walls, solos were in front, but still probably 20 feet from the mics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apse

Up close the NT5 cardioids can indeed sound a bit thin and scratchy, but at this distance they pull in useful detail, and the omnis just lend a bit of ambience support. Nice to be able to vary the blend as required later
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
If Faulkner is not smarter than I am we are all screwed.
There's nothing better than the scaffolding process called 'collective wisdom'... Everybody wins as a result.

Regarding the naming of this approach, at the risk of muddying the waters yet further, I like the way Mr Faulkner described it in the linked article above.

He calls it a "Four way phased array", which I reckon is a perfect way to differentiate it from the 2 bidirectional mics 20cm apart on a bar ?

So, how does the boojum/norman array differ from the four way phased array...or is it simply time to let sleeping dogs lie ?
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Addict

You mention the 'Singers'. But who were they?
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

studer - good article - thanks. I did not catch that your cardioid pair was spaced at 41cm - and that is the difference between the Faulkner array and our array, which uses a standard ORTF center pair. our idea was not to phase align 4 mics, but rather was initially a way to deal with unknown acoustics when recording in spaces we weren't familiar with. often, I would get gigs in spaces where I had never been before, with no guarantee that I would be able to place my mics where I wanted them - I might be way closer than optimal, or too far out than I might want. I was simply using two pairs of mics - a normal ORTF pair, and an AB pair of omnis - to cover my ass. the idea was generally that I would use one pair or the other depending on the sound of the hall and where I was able to place the mics, though there were occasions where a slight blend of the two pairs worked better than either single pair. I think the first time I used it for a commercial gig was 2010 when I recorded marco Granada at the Old Church in Portland, OR.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

I use the pairs in conjunction more than Jim does. I space my omnis according to Williams diagram. And sometimes I will use MS rather than ORTF. But the array is really good for those "run and gun" times. And it all fits on one stand so it is not too obtrusive.

I believe that Jim and I were doing this before we got word of Faulkner's "four phased array" but it really doesn't matter. We use/used it with some degree of success.
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Addict

Great article. In my humble opinion Mr. Faulkner should be required reading for anyone doing what we do. Which doesn't mean you always have to do only and exclusively what he says, but there are few if any people around who know more about this than he does.

Studer, beautiful recording.

Regards, Christine
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did not catch that your cardioid pair was spaced at 41cm - and that is the difference between the Faulkner array and our array, which uses a standard ORTF center pair.
From what I can tell, Mr. Faulkner has posted a few different variations on his four mic array. They all seem to have omnis in the 60-67cm range. But sometimes there are cards at 41cm. Sometimes there are subcards at 47cm. And almost always all the mics are "angled outwards" with a combined angle of around 90 degrees for all pairs.

Here's one version is in his own words in post #14, see in particular paragraph three.

I'm surprised you didn't see this particular thread since it has your name in the title. You might find the entire thread interesting since people are comparing your array with Mr. Faulkner's array, and undoubtedly others as well. "You be fames" as they say. You and Sandy have certainly been influential (not to mention inspirational) to people in this forum; of that there is little doubt. Thanks.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Indeed, and well said! Looking forward to my next trip into a "real" venue (as opposed to the gymna-cafe-toriums my regular private school clients provide)... especially since Shannon Meadows at Mic Rehab (https://www.facebook.com/Micrehab/) saved my Gefell M296s a trip to Der Väterland für eine kleine FixenÜppen. Can't wait for the next decent room! If you need repairs and/or mods/upgrades/boutique LD mics... these guys are the Real Deal.

Cheers!

HB
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Bruce - thanks. yes, I remember that thread, but I just went back and reread the whole thing. So much great information in there!
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Addict

Very cool studer!

When the choir enters you really get an idea of the acoustics.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Nice choir, good space and very well recorded. Bliss.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear
Merci all, and I'd left the HPF switched out of the BG8, thus no bass rolloff...which might have tamed the aircraft noise and traffic rumble ?

There's that sort of fog/gravitas which surrounds omni recordings... where the urban landscape intrudes, and you have to be judicious in what to remove and what to leave in

It's partly what shosty refers to above when he says 'you really get an idea of the acoustics'...although in what I'm referring to, it makes its entry somewhat sooner

In the 2 videos available in this forum where Tony F talks of the 4 way phased array, he says the spacings were arrived at empirically, in response to enforced last minute mic stand placement changes....almost as 'damage control/fix it in post' mentality...though I think he's grown to love it more since !

I find it useful when a choir is prone to occupying different parts of the church in the space of the concert....from a nearby single/double line/curve, to arrayed front/back across several yards as in the posted sample here....you can somewhat 'rezoom the lens' back at base.

Leaving Schoeps aside for a moment, I seem to recall hearing TF praise the Rode omni capsule more highly than its cardioid equivalent, and it has a very similar HF lift to, say, the Neumann KM183. I think it seriously challenges the latter, much more so than the Line Audio OM-1...which, while performing well above its weight, is handicapped with a lower sensitivity and higher self-noise. Don't get me wrong....I like 'em all !
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Addict

We still don't know the who or where of the performance. I'm guessing Christ Church if aircraft noise is sn issue.
Old 29th April 2018
Here for the gear
All right, I recorded a band a couple of weeks back with a 4 mic phased array. I'm opening up to criticism...tell me all the things that are wrong with this recording (from an engineering perspective). Ran it through light eq, reverb, limiting (only for the two slapstick transients), and a noise gate (to get rid of transformer hum before the pieces start). Would love your feedback.
Attached Files

BAND_r4_1.1.mp3 (8.13 MB, 721 views)

BAND_r4_1.2.mp3 (13.91 MB, 677 views)

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
More phased goodness

OK so a bit late to the party but my first really big outing with this 4 mic array - it's a cheap and cheerful recording chain in many ways, but this is from a live concert recently.

Omnis at 67cm (Line Audio OM-1), Cardioid pair in a DIN/NOS hybrid, c.25cm, 90 degrees (Rode M5), plus just a smidgen from a couple of cardioid outriggers either side of the gentle V formation the choir were in (Rode NT-1A).

Good choir, great building helps of course. Pretty pleased with this considering the low-fi setup. Recorded straight into a Zoom L12 (please don't shoot me!).
Attached Files

Howells sample.mp3 (2.33 MB, 215 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Christine
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search