The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Sound Devices recorders! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 19th April 2017
Here for the gear

New Sound Devices recorders!

Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict
Wow.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vunz View Post
https://www.sounddevices.com/news/so...-mixpre-series

Price under $1000... This may be their response to Zoom. Interested...
I'd be a whole lot more interested if they had one to compete with the F8. The "big" one of these has 4 micpres.

When are they going to replace the 788T?
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Hmmm no UK distributer apparently. Anyone have a confirmed Euro price for the -6?
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

These look amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
The touch screen looks a little fiddly...perhaps a stylus might be a good addition ?
From the pictures I've seen, the "buttons" on the touch screen are large enough that I don't feel worried about it.

I hear that pushing in on the fader will bring up the channel's controls on the touch screen.

-Mike
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Just when we thought the pro world would settle on Lemo, here comes TC via HDMI.
MixPre series doesn't seem to be intended to replace the 7 series. That's what the 6 series already has done, except for an 8 mic pres unit.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

I've checked the website and manuals but I must be missing something ... anyone know how much gain in the mic pres?
Old 19th April 2017
Here for the gear

76dB mic gain. These use our new Kashmir mic preamps with -130dBv noise floor, analog limiters and 32-bit ADCs. Enjoy
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
I'd be a whole lot more interested if they had one to compete with the F8. The "big" one of these has 4 micpres.

When are they going to replace the 788T?
That's what I'm waiting for! I hope not long.
Old 19th April 2017
Here for the gear

No DC power input- can portable external batteries be used via the USB-C? And at what voltage? The manual doesn't seem to specify this- it only discusses USB bus power or their own battery.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
76dB mic gain. These use our new Kashmir mic preamps with -130dBv noise floor, analog limiters and 32-bit ADCs. Enjoy
Thanks for answering Thats great 76dB and 4KΩ should work fine with ribbon mics. Any European pricing yet?

Edit: That should be -130dBA

Last edited by Lumbergh; 19th April 2017 at 11:18 PM..
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBono View Post
No DC power input- can portable external batteries be used via the USB-C? And at what voltage? The manual doesn't seem to specify this- it only discusses USB bus power or their own battery.
They can use an external AC power adapter (through the USB-C port, sold separately by SD), or AA batteries, or L-Type batteries, or computer power via USB C. I'm sure another portable battery via USB C would be fine.

Sound Devices units normally run at a range of voltages. The AC power adapter made for the MixPre 3/6 says it is a 15W PSU.

-Mike
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Nice looking boxes on paper. Too bad they couldn't squeeze a second SD card slot in -- built-in backup on-board would be uber-super.

Last edited by hughesmr; 20th April 2017 at 03:22 AM..
Old 19th April 2017
Very nice. Been using a 702 in and out of the studio for long time. Love 'em.
These new units look great bang-for-buck too; and good utilities plus the analogue limiters. I'm interested to hear the new Kashmir pre's on music.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Addict

And the output is on a....

????? Connector?
????? @ what Level?
????? Balanced or Unbalanced?
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Addict
Why is everyone so fascinated by these new SD products? Zoom F8 has had the same feature set and more for over a year now. Ok, so maybe the preamps in the new SDs are better than F8. Doesn't help you when 4 mics isn't enough.

What WOULD be interesting is a new SD recorder that has 8 mic pres, can serve as a USB interface, with remote control via WiFi and Bluetooth, virtual mixer with basic 3-band EQ, and can do 8 channels at 24/192 plus a stereo mix.

I suspect these are intended for the DSLR video market. I'd love to see a thoughtful update of the 788.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Addict

The price for the Mixpre-3 $649 and the price for the Mixpre-6 $899. If its as good or better than a 744T then it seems like a bargain as long as the features are suitable.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear
Also the limiters need to be in the right place in the signal chain, if you remember the F8 controversy over that issue ?
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear
I think people get excited to see new SD products because their previous ones have been so good. These seem to have more channels at lower price points than I recall seeing before, too.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Nice looking boxes on paper. Too bad they couldn't squeeze a second SD card slot in -- built-in backup on-board would be uber-super.

This appears to show a memory card slot on one side.

https://www.sounddevices.com/product...rders/mixpre-6

You can look at the user's manual here:

http://cdn.sounddevices.com/download...Pre6-UG_en.pdf

A little loose with the ad copy. -130 dbV is the EIN spec. ADC is listed as chip spec of 120 db Still very good, I just wish these people could tell it straight on specs.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear
The 4 channel device is what we told SQN and Sony we needed 20 yrs ago......
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

What's really confusing is that the manual of the MP6 says that it has 3 mic ins.

"3 mic/line input, 2 channel output mixer with our exclusive Kashmir™ dis
-
crete mic preamplifiers with user-selectable analog limiters and low-cut
filters"

Is that a typo? Why does it have 4 XLR/TRS ins when there are only 3 mic ins?
Old 20th April 2017
Here for the gear

Yes - that is a typo in the MP6 manual. I'll have it fixed.

thx

Paul, Sound Devices
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes - that is a typo in the MP6 manual. I'll have it fixed.

thx

Paul, Sound Devices
Thanks Paul!

Any plans to offer a hirose adapter plate? I have an arsenal of hirose based power packs that I use for my 702, 788 and receivers. Would be great to have an option to integrate the MPs into an existing hirose-based power world.

These are great little machines and I'm glad you didn't join the plastic and lousy pre-amp trend that has been ongoing for too long.

Last edited by apple-q; 20th April 2017 at 02:32 PM..
Old 20th April 2017
Here for the gear

Old 20th April 2017
RPC
Gear Maniac

M/S matrix built in! If the preamps and converters sound good (and I'll bet they do), the MixPre-6 could be the perfect companion for Ambeo/Soundfield/Tetramic.
Old 20th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Thanks Paul!

Any plans to offer a hirose adapter plate? I have an arsenal of hirose based power packs that I use for my 702, 788 and receivers. Would be great to have an option to integrate the MPs into an existing hirose-based power world.
Sorry no.

Quote:
These are great little machines and I'm glad you didn't join the plastic and lousy pre-amp trend that has been ongoing for too long.
We would never sell our soul and do cheap plastic or lousy preamps.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry no.

We would never sell our soul and do cheap plastic or lousy preamps.
Nice one!

Would the MP3/6 accept 12-14V (sometimes 16v when fully charged) supplied by an NP-type external battery if someone "hacked" or made some sort of adapter that attached to the unit? (Theoretically speaking of course).
Or do they max out at 12V? (8xAA)

I found the L-type batteries on the 7-series often quite fiddly to replace. Bottom of the bag, can't see when over the shoulder etc. so I run them strictly off external power. But maybe that's easier on the MPs?

Thanks!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

£700 in the US looks great value, £1,150 in the UK not so much ... I might have to plan a NY shopping trip
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search