The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Sound Devices recorders!
Old 11th June 2019
It would be nice to see a future software update that allows the USB to accept input from an external ADC.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Guru

Just got my MixPre 6, learning all the ins and outs. Haven't really used it seriously yet. But I am impressed and excited in initial testing. This thing is stupidly well designed and it sounds great.

I am powering it with an Anker Powercore+ USB-C 26800 mAh battery and its charger straight in alternately. MixPre is a little noisy when connected to my computer via USB split cable. Not in the files themselves but in the monitors. I'll probably buy the L mount battery sled and some fancy batteries later.

Takes a couple of days to learn (haven't bought and learned the Musician plugin yet either.)

Lots of great info in this thread. I am excited about new recording opporunities away from the 2 rooms I always work in. Without a significant dip in quality either, it seems like.

The only better thing for me would have been a MixPre 10T, but I simply couldn't afford it.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sound Devices recorders!-p1160588.jpg  
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Just got my MixPre 6, learning all the ins and outs. Haven't really used it seriously yet. But I am impressed and excited in initial testing. This thing is stupidly well designed and it sounds great.

I am powering it with an Anker Powercore+ USB-C 26800 mAh battery and its charger straight in alternately. MixPre is a little noisy when connected to my computer via USB split cable. Not in the files themselves but in the monitors. I'll probably buy the L mount battery sled and some fancy batteries later.

Takes a couple of days to learn (haven't bought and learned the Musician plugin yet either.)

Lots of great info in this thread. I am excited about new recording opporunities away from the 2 rooms I always work in. Without a significant dip in quality either, it seems like.

The only better thing for me would have been a MixPre 10T, but I simply couldn't afford it.
Congrats! I've been loving mine. I got the Korg control surface that is really useful for cue points mainly, and the Wingman app is great for metering and quick access.

The only drawback I've found is not being able to go back and play previously recorded takes (it only plays the latest ones), and not being able to erase cue points easily. I'm using it essentially as a stand alone recorder. Enjoy!
Old 12th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Congrats! I've been loving mine. I got the Korg control surface that is really useful for cue points mainly, and the Wingman app is great for metering and quick access.

The only drawback I've found is not being able to go back and play previously recorded takes (it only plays the latest ones), and not being able to erase cue points easily. I'm using it essentially as a stand alone recorder. Enjoy!
You can play back any take. Just highlight from the take menu and press play.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
You can play back any take. Just highlight from the take menu and press play.
Quick question is that from the M version?

Honestly, the only real gripe I've had with Sound Devices is it's really hard to find info on how to do specifics, and I'm more a musician than a tech! I've found the manual to be kinda breezy and really need "The Idiots Guide".....
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can play back any take from the non-M version too.

-Mike
Old 12th July 2019
Quote:

Honestly, the only real gripe I've had with Sound Devices is it's really hard to find info on how to do specifics, and I'm more a musician than a tech! I've found the manual to be kinda breezy and really need "The Idiots Guide".....
The M version adds the ability to re mix on playback. But you can still play back your tracks in the non m version.

The controls are not intuitive for audio playback, so it is a bit frustrating.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The M version adds the ability to re mix on playback. But you can still play back your tracks in the non m version.

Remix is available on the non-M version also. Page 34 of the online manual.

-Mike
Old 12th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
Remix is available on the non-M version also. Page 34 of the online manual.

-Mike
Oh. Was that part of the firmware update? I can't remember which changes came from where I suppose.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh. Was that part of the firmware update? I can't remember which changes came from where I suppose.
Yeah it was added a couple of firmware updates back, maybe around the time the M versions came out. SD has been really on point about adding new features to these recorders through firmware updates which I think is really cool.

-Mike
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Nut

If they would only add transport controls to the Wingman app, they would have my undying affection.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

Yeah, re-record LR mix is a great feature. In my initial testing I really preferred doing a second pass to get the right mix. You can even do multiple mixdowns and they save with different names. You can play back the mixes with all the front faders down and you can still hear everything you did. I've been having to find ways to keep the faders down all the time to prevent howling feedback in my speakers, since direct monitoring is always on. The Musician plugin will solve this, I hope, with its Monitor function on the inputs. The regular mode doesn't have this feature which I think is kind of strange.

I would do this to have a "rough mix" to hand to band mates or whatever probably. Then go in for a serious hardcore mix in Cubase later.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Would be curious to know if you've has a chance to compare the MixPre to the Clarett (assuming that's yours in the photo). Any thoughts on the AD/DA conversion or preamps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe View Post
Would be curious to know if you've has a chance to compare the MixPre to the Clarett (assuming that's yours in the photo). Any thoughts on the AD/DA conversion or preamps?
Sadly I haven't truly tested the MixPre on any hard-core recordings yet. I'm waiting just a little bit until I can buy the Musican plugin since most of what I do is overdubs.

I can say that the DAC on the MixPre is not quite up to par with the Clarett. I wouldn't expect it to be for something this tiny. It's "OK" or fine though, probably better or as good as something like a Scarlett.

What I'm most interested in is the quality of the front end.

Initial tests have been positive, but I'm still waiting to really dig in and form a strong opinion.

It's certainly better sounding than some of the cheaper consumer stuff I've used in the past.

The real feature is obviously the portability, so to have a B+ or A for sound, whatever it ends up ranking, is really good.

My days of iphone demos, 4 track cassette "productions" and so on are now most likely superceded by the MixPre. Some of it might end up being good enough to publish on an album or something, that was my goal going into this purchase. Which kept me from buying cheaper products that do similar things.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search