The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Sound Devices recorders! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Hey Paul -- Just a quick note of feedback.
I briefly had a MixPre 3 and loved it, but had to return it. The headphone/scroll knob (which is ridiculously hard to reach) went out. I'm sure this kind of quality failure is rare with Sound Devices, but scary nonetheless considering the limited warranty.

I understand why the unit draws a lot of power, so I won't complain about the battery requirements, but it is a factor. The issue about powering it by USB while using it as an interface is also a factor.

I'm looking forward to upgrading to a MixPre6 from my Zoom F4 because your preamps sound absolutely fabulous, but I may wait until the next generation. The Zoom is a cheap little workhorse, sounds perfectly okay, and gets long life out of 8 AA NiMHs, for half the price. I would readily pay twice as much for the Sound Devices if I didn't think there were trade-offs, even then.
Get a sled for a Sony camera battery if battery life is a concern......There is a knob extender you can find for the headphone scroll knob FWIW.... Hope this helps!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Get a sled for a Sony camera battery if battery life is a concern......There is a knob extender you can find for the headphone scroll knob FWIW.... Hope this helps!
That's $ + charger + sled, which is my comment to Sound Devices.
Thanks much for the tip though -- I will upgrade eventually. But SD has to sort these things out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search