The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Sound Devices recorders! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Hey Paul -- Just a quick note of feedback.
I briefly had a MixPre 3 and loved it, but had to return it. The headphone/scroll knob (which is ridiculously hard to reach) went out. I'm sure this kind of quality failure is rare with Sound Devices, but scary nonetheless considering the limited warranty.

I understand why the unit draws a lot of power, so I won't complain about the battery requirements, but it is a factor. The issue about powering it by USB while using it as an interface is also a factor.

I'm looking forward to upgrading to a MixPre6 from my Zoom F4 because your preamps sound absolutely fabulous, but I may wait until the next generation. The Zoom is a cheap little workhorse, sounds perfectly okay, and gets long life out of 8 AA NiMHs, for half the price. I would readily pay twice as much for the Sound Devices if I didn't think there were trade-offs, even then.
Get a sled for a Sony camera battery if battery life is a concern......There is a knob extender you can find for the headphone scroll knob FWIW.... Hope this helps!
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Get a sled for a Sony camera battery if battery life is a concern......There is a knob extender you can find for the headphone scroll knob FWIW.... Hope this helps!
That's $ + charger + sled, which is my comment to Sound Devices.
Thanks much for the tip though -- I will upgrade eventually. But SD has to sort these things out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
That's $ + charger + sled, which is my comment to Sound Devices.
Thanks much for the tip though -- I will upgrade eventually. But SD has to sort these things out.
I use an external battery that powers my 744T with the 12V that it loves so much. I had a cable made that connects the battery to the Hirose 4-pin (AC power plug). I can easily run an entire weekend festival with this. It ran me about $110, but I can use the battery for many other things when needed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
One thing not being in the live world, but on a lot of film sets. I would think being able to run off camera batteries would be really useful, being able to get a camera battery quickly in a pinch from a rental house, or working on a crew where you'd have access. Just a thought....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post
Stereo96ADC.

Figured out the L-R thing too, as well as the MS monitoring situation. Very pleased with this little box for the price.
Rob, I remember that you also own Tascam DR 680 with the Busmod. How does the SD compare soundwise? Both for AD and mic preamps?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What I miss most on all these standalone recorders is double Adat connections in and out. Yes, that woukd have added another 2 x 2 cm space on the outside, but what an amount of added versatility it would have brought... It would make these recorders excellent for integration in larger setups because with the 10 models I could easily add 8 mic channels to my soundcard, or use the excellent Prism or Antelope converters and preamps while recording digitally into the SD leaving my PC at home.
As it is, all standalone recorder designers seem to think inside the box... They assume that these worlds cannot be combined. That's a pity. If the T10 would have had 4 s-mux adat pipes, I would have bought it immediately.

What do you think of digital in and outs?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Quote:
Stereo96ADC.

Figured out the L-R thing too, as well as the MS monitoring situation. Very pleased with this little box for the price.
Rob, I remember that you also own Tascam DR 680 with the Busmod. How does the SD compare soundwise? Both for AD and mic preamps?
The MixPre beats the pants off the 680.

My complaint about the 680 was always the noise. Chris at Busman Audio did an incredible job making the input stage better, but the converters themselves are a bit noisy for classical work.

The MixPre doesn't quite stack up sonically with high end mic amps & converters, but it is perfectly acceptable and useable for concert recording.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The MixPre beats the pants off the 680.

My complaint about the 680 was always the noise. Chris at Busman Audio did an incredible job making the input stage better, but the converters themselves are a bit noisy for classical work.

The MixPre doesn't quite stack up sonically with high end mic amps & converters, but it is perfectly acceptable and useable for concert recording.
Thanks, Rob, that is very helpful.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
I'm not this Rob but another one and also happen to have (had) a Busman moded Tascam DR680 and (still have) a Mixpre 6
- which already is a statement, I can only say that the Mixpre 6 is in quite a different world sonically as the DR680, though the latter in itself is not bad and delivers a sound and versaitility one could only dream of portable devices not so long ago.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post
I'm not this Rob but another one and also happen to have (had) a Busman moded Tascam DR680 and (still have) a Mixpre 6
- which already is a statement, I can only say that the Mixpre 6 is in quite a different world sonically as the DR680, though the latter in itself is not bad and delivers a sound and versaitility one could only dream of portable devices not so long ago.
Thanks other Rob! I am tempted to jump on the T10...
Only missing digital in and out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search