The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Sound Devices recorders! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
I'm hoping that they will see fit to add prefade USB feeds in 3.0 as well.
That will not be in the v3.0 release. v3.0 with USB controller support, Ambisonics, Pre-roll, and Bluetooth/Wingman enabled for the M models has been keeping us pretty occupied!

best

Paul
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
That will not be in the v3.0 release. v3.0 with USB controller support, Ambisonics, Pre-roll, and Bluetooth/Wingman enabled for the M models has been keeping us pretty occupied!

best

Paul
Hi Paul,

it would be great of you could add a few rather tiny changes that remove a few annoyances:

1) Presets should not save or recall the LED/LCD brightness settings. It doesn't make sense to recall full blast brightness at night or super-dim lights in bright sunlight. Also an option to not recall naming. I don't want the clip name from months ago when I last saved the preset.

2) Also an option to save over an existing preset without re-entering the name from scratch. Quite annoying with the "space invaders high score" letter by letter entry mode with the wheel.

3) a way to manually set the frame rate flag even when not using an external generator. It doesn't make sense to default to 30ND when you record for a 24ND project and want to integrate the files into such a workflow.

Many thanks!
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

best

Paul
Paul, what's the latest on the 192khz ultrasonic noise issue? Has that been addressed in the 3.0 update?
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Guru
Hey Paul hate to be a broken record but being able to work with cue points, will be huge with Wingman, and transport (fast forward and rewind). Fiddly on the unit, and impractical with a session.... Fantastic tool!
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Hi Paul,

it would be great of you could add a few rather tiny changes that remove a few annoyances:

1) Presets should not save or recall the LED/LCD brightness settings. It doesn't make sense to recall full blast brightness at night or super-dim lights in bright sunlight. Also an option to not recall naming. I don't want the clip name from months ago when I last saved the preset.

2) Also an option to save over an existing preset without re-entering the name from scratch. Quite annoying with the "space invaders high score" letter by letter entry mode with the wheel.

3) a way to manually set the frame rate flag even when not using an external generator. It doesn't make sense to default to 30ND when you record for a 24ND project and want to integrate the files into such a workflow.

Many thanks!
Thanks for your feedback. What model MixPre do you have?
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
Paul, what's the latest on the 192khz ultrasonic noise issue? Has that been addressed in the 3.0 update?
That issue will be addressed in the v3.00 release, yes.
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Hey Paul hate to be a broken record but being able to work with cue points, will be huge with Wingman, and transport (fast forward and rewind). Fiddly on the unit, and impractical with a session.... Fantastic tool!
Understood - will bear that in mind.
FYI - Cue points are supported with the USB controllers in v3.00
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
Fantastic! BTW I work in the film industry and lusted after Sound Devices recorders for years, but too pricey. I'm blown away by the affordability and quality of the MixPre6M.
I can't believe how you got all of the features in such a small package. Your support has been first rate, and I can really see this being all things to all people, with very little compromise.
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
That issue will be addressed in the v3.00 release, yes.
Brilliant. Thank you!
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. What model MixPre do you have?
MP3

thanks!
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
Hey Paul- Was thinking a cool add on would be an adaptor that would hold the controller (adjustable for different ones), that would screw into the tripod adaptor screw on the unit. That would be pretty cool.

Or a tray type deal that would hold the controller to one side while mounting the MP at an angle to view the screen easily. Could also be adjustable.

Really be cool to have the units tied together as one piece if connected with a wire..... Wireless not so much!
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post

Many thanks!
If you are not using timecode, then I don't see why frame rate is relevant to the workflow. Can you enlighten me?

best

Paul
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Old news by now, but eagerly anticipated! I'm hoping that they will see fit to add prefade USB feeds in 3.0 as well.
Finally released today!
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you are not using timecode, then I don't see why frame rate is relevant to the workflow. Can you enlighten me?

best

Paul
Adding to this, as I sent Sound Devices support a request for this same feature awhile back.

The main reason I'd love to see a way to set frame rate on the device is simply to avoid confusion from inexperienced editors. Even in film workflows without timecode on set, eventually an editor is going to sync up your audio files with their picture, and I'd simply love to avoid having someone call me freaking out because the audio files are at a different frame rate than the video. You and I both know that it doesn't change anything about how they were recorded or how they play back, but inexperienced editors often do not. I've had several frantic calls from people who don't really understand timecode, so I'd just like to avoid confusion where I can.

At the moment I use WaveAgent to change the frame rate tag on the files before delivery, which works fine, however I'd love to avoid having to do this extra step. It also means I can't just hand off the card at the end of the shooting day; I have to load the files up in my computer and change the metadata first.

Thanks!
-Mike
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Finally released today!
10 seconds pre-roll time

::
Mads
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Guru
Set up Wingman last night on MixPre6M, woohoo! Anyone have controller recommends? Thinking the Korg Studio looks like a winner......I've been waiting to recreate my Korg D12 workflow. Great holiday gift!
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Set up Wingman last night on MixPre6M, woohoo! Anyone have controller recommends? Thinking the Korg Studio looks like a winner......I've been waiting to recreate my Korg D12 workflow. Great holiday gift!
I've been debating controllers as well, although I think for now I'm just going to hold off as I don't need one yet and might as well wait. I think the main advantage is a more familiar and easy-to-control interface with faders instead of knobs, plus having knobs immediately available for gain (or pan) plus faders for mixing would be very nice. I might be talking myself back into it, but I've made do without a controller so far...

The Korg NanoKontrol Studio was the one I had my eye on too, although quite a few of those buttons won't do anything (unless they're all user-assignable), including the jog wheel. It seems like it would make the most sense if you want a controller to do double-duty on the Touchmix and on a DAW. Otherwise the NanoKontrol2 has just about the same amount of functionality for the TouchMix in a smaller (and admittedly less cool-looking) footprint, for half the price.
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
I've been debating controllers as well, although I think for now I'm just going to hold off as I don't need one yet and might as well wait. I think the main advantage is a more familiar and easy-to-control interface with faders instead of knobs, plus having knobs immediately available for gain (or pan) plus faders for mixing would be very nice. I might be talking myself back into it, but I've made do without a controller so far...

The Korg NanoKontrol Studio was the one I had my eye on too, although quite a few of those buttons won't do anything (unless they're all user-assignable), including the jog wheel. It seems like it would make the most sense if you want a controller to do double-duty on the Touchmix and on a DAW. Otherwise the NanoKontrol2 has just about the same amount of functionality for the TouchMix in a smaller (and admittedly less cool-looking) footprint, for half the price.
The main thing I want the controller for is setting up Q points easily. I wish that was on the Wingman. When working with people coming in, I really need to be able to jump to Q points and with the preroll function the MixPre will work great. I'm assuming the cue points will assign to the buttons on the unit. Trying to basically work like a stand alone recorder and pushing the little knob etc is much too fiddly.........having a proper control surface will be ideal....

I am hoping the setup is intuitive. I wish they would do a real step by step setup for idiots. Going to be really bummed if it turns into a science project, but according to the manual the units will talk to each other......
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
The main thing I want the controller for is setting up Q points easily.
I have the * key set up to add Q points on my MixPre, it's very handy for that but having it on a controller would be handier, especially the ability to hit a button on the controller to quickly jump from one Q point to the next...a lot less fiddly than using the headphone encoder in combination with the play button.

I'm starting to think a controller might be a great idea after all.... ;-)
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Head

Each controller has its own qualities and functions - choose depend on your personal tastes. I highly recommend reading the section on USB Controllers in the v3.00 User Guide before making a choice. All functions for each controller are defined clearly. You will get a better feel that way. Here's the guide...
http://cdn.sounddevices.com/download...Pre6-UG_en.pdf

My personal preference is the Novation - better built than the Korg. Having said that, the Korg has a good range of buttons and controls. As I said, personal preference!
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
I have the * key set up to add Q points on my MixPre, it's very handy for that but having it on a controller would be handier, especially the ability to hit a button on the controller to quickly jump from one Q point to the next...a lot less fiddly than using the headphone encoder in combination with the play button.

I'm starting to think a controller might be a great idea after all.... ;-)
Sorry!...... Hey Jake it's Gearslutz!........Gotta pay to play.......
BTW got the Studio Korg for $100- used. The little guys I think you can get for $50-...... Yeah the big thing with Q points is being able to jump between them, etc. Thinking buttons will be way better and I got enough to worry about when have a pro in ready to do the next take!.......
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear
Being able to connect the Korg nanokontrol studio with the MixPre via Bluetooth would be a tremendously helpful feature. Alas, that doesn't seem to be included in the 3.0 suite of upgrades.
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
10 seconds pre-roll time
Maximum - it will reduce with high sample rates.
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Maximum - it will reduce with high sample rates.
Oh I see

::
Mads
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Finally arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post
I ordered a pair of omnis built into a Neutrik 90° connector with adjustable angle, so that one can make them point forward are anything else (up, down, 45° ... to your pleasure)...

I'll keep you posted when I have them.
Hello, so I finally received the 12Gauge (it took so long because my brother brought them to me and we saw each other just on new years eve...

It's a neat little construction and fits the SD Mixpre 6 well without being in the way of the other connectors.

I have made a quick recording at 96/24 and left it that way, just peak normalized for comparison:
Dropbox - 12GTest - Simplify your life

You will find three recordings:
- 12G_Narrow with the mics just sticking into the SD; distance 18.5 mm mid to mid of the diaphragm, both parallel and pointing 45° up;
- 12G_Wide with extra 90° angular connectors; now they are pointing parallel to the table and with 90° angle outwards, making the distance 29cm mid to mid of the diaphragms.
- CM3 Angular XLR connectors with Line Audio CM3; pointing forward (Parallel) with a distance of 19 cm mid to mid of the diaphragms for comparison...

I think both conifgurations of 12G (wide and narrow) perform very well, with wide having a bit more spaciousness to offer.

I had AC mains noise problems with the 12G in combination with the cheap Anker USB C power supply, but it vanishes when I use a Power Bank (Li-Ions US accumulators bank) or an USB iPad 12W charger.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here are the views of the different combinations and also of the neat package of the 12Gauge mics.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sound Devices recorders!-img_8035.jpg   New Sound Devices recorders!-img_8036.jpg   New Sound Devices recorders!-img_8037.jpg   New Sound Devices recorders!-img_8038.jpg   New Sound Devices recorders!-img_8039.jpg  

New Sound Devices recorders!-img_8040.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
With Nano Studio you can jump between Q points easily and jog wheel works for transport. Getting into it! Had a weird level setting problem. Set presets to factory and cleared up fwiw.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search