The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

The Big Shoot Out at the Audio Chorale Condenser Microphones
Old 13th November 2002
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Great report, very intresting.

I'd also like to see your notes on the VIP-50, if there are any.

Regarding preamps: UA's transistor pre that is based on 1176 is a particular unit I'm curious about. And, as a reference, it would be great if you could include an Amek/Neve 9098 DMA or PRE/EQ in the next test.

Thanks,
Mats
Old 14th November 2002
One with big hooves

VIP-50 notes... hmmm... well... uhh... There's no easy way to get around it so I'll blurt it out. One of the mics ended up backwards or with an omni or figure 8 pattern selected (we're not really sure) and it wasn't caught until later. So, we tossed it from the evaluation. So, we'll give it another shot next time around and make sure it's done right.
Old 14th November 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L

I'm assuming the pattern used on the Kiwi was cardioid. Where any of the other patterns explored? Also, could you tell us the distance the singer was from the mic. I've seen it mentioned that the proximity effect comes into play much closer on this mic than many other vocal mics. If I'm not mistaken BLUE recommends getting right up on this thing to get a fuller sounding result. Just wondering if you guy's may have given this a shot?
It was set to whatever pattern Larry (it's owner) had set it to. I'd assume cardiod but you know what they say about assuming. Larry are you out there? I think Dave stayed about a hand width away from the mic but I didn't watch him play so I'm not totally sure. I saw him keep that kind of distance from the 149 and VIP-50 so again I'll assume... We didn't try to make him eat the mic or anything like that. Larry went into it saying that he didn't really like the mic most of the time had been thinking about selling it to get a Brauner. I kind of liked what I heard. Like most of the Blue mics it has it's own sound rather then being a copy of something. It either works or it doesn't work.

I've tried the Blueberry and I wasn't knocked out by it. It didn't sound right to my ear unless the singer was right on top of the mic and most of the singers that I work with are afraid to get that close. But, since the time that I tried it Skipper said they changed the voicing of it to have more bottom and the proximity effect starts farther back.
Old 30th November 2002
Super Moderator

The mic pre selection for our next shoot out is almost completed.

I got to tie up the loose ends, like confirming a suitable date with the various equipment contributors, judges & musicians. I must email a few people, lock in a few things before I post the list.

Soon, a new thread will be posted, listing the confirmed pres to be evaluated.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Steve ...

Let me throw a "new" name into the upcoming collection of pre's.
CURTIS ..... Yeah I know .. Nobody knows about it .. YET .. rollz
But the last time I brought mine over to a friends place doing acoustic gtr trks, he said it compared to his Daking Unfortunatly, we didn't have time to do an A/B, but seing as he also has Pendulum lying around, I'll trust his observation.
The CURTIS is rich and full, that's for sure. I'll be happy to come by with one. Pretty sure I could make a day trip to you. Hope it's not too late, Could also contribute a mic to the cause that I'm quite sure ya'll would enjoy .... DPA(B&K) 4041T .... heh

Watcha think
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

A vote for the Apogee Trak2 in the pre test.

cheers
Old 2nd December 2004
Lives for gear

GTQ2 !!!

Also, don't forget the Aurora Audio GTQ2 from Geoff Tanner.....
Old 2nd December 2004
Super Moderator

Maybe we should do another shootout with the new suggestions?
Old 5th December 2004
Lives for gear

This might be a little too specialized for a general mic pre shoot-out, but somebody ought to include a comparison of all of the different mic preamps currently available in the API 500 series format. Between API, Averill, OSA and now Purple Audio (any others?), you can now have a wide variety of preamps and only carry one enclosure and power supply. This is my long term goal; to have 8 to 10 channels of mic preamps (in pairs, divided between 3 or 4 different types) and all mounted in a single type of enclosure. Having all of these "flavors" without needing multiple power supplies, multiple sizes of enclosures, etc. will be a big cost savings and also be much more convenient. (when you only need four preamps, grab a small lunchbox and be able to choose from any of your dozen modules!)

The recent introduction of new preamps and EQs in the 500 series format (from several companies) has pushed me towards adopting it as my "standard" for location gear. Hopefully the recent all-new designs from Averill, Purple Audio and OSA will convince other manufacturers to offer 500 series modules.
Old 5th December 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
Maybe we should do another shootout with the new suggestions?
Yeah - hello, I'm all for it - have been trying to get a shoot-out going since September.

Count us in, and by us I mean Tonelux (www.tonelux.com)

-gil
Old 27th December 2004
Super Moderator

So, when do you folks want to do the next mic pre shootout?
Old 27th December 2004
Tonelux is ready after the NAMM show - and looking forward to it!!

-gil

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search