The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Headphones for Monitoring? Studio Headphones
Old 16th October 2002
Meg Lee Chin 
Question Best Headphones for Monitoring?

I'll be doing a lot of my mixing with headphones. Can anybody suggest a good pair? I need to hear those subs...
Old 16th October 2002
One with big hooves

I like the Sennheiser HD25SPs a lot. So far it's the only set of headphones I've used that I can mix on.
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Wink beyer dt 150

big bass on these and they are black

Old 17th October 2002
Gear Addict

I don't mix on 'em but I like to check my mixes on a set of Sennheiser HD600. They're pricey but grey market ones are available on eBay at about half the local retail price. Some folks prefer the HD580. These are both open ear phones so they're useless for tracking. (unless you like headphone bleed!)

P.S. Hope your tour went well!
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Sennheiser HD 600.... they is da bomb

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 17th October 2002
Welcome back soldier!

I reckon you need semi open backed cans (DT150's are closed) for mixing -so you can hear - doorbells / telephones / me asking if I can help myself to something to eat ...etc etc...

Martin likes Senheiser 580's - so does Rich, I bought a pair - I can lend em to ya fer a while. (or buy the 600's if they are superior)

Oh and please say you will be our Gearslutz Computers & Software "PC moderator" now that you are off tour! Our Mac guy Al is all on his own down there! Think about it!

Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Hey Meg .... haven't had the chance yet to praise you for the great job you did getting gearslutz online. You disapeared right after it was launched .... how was the tour btw.

on the headphone thing :

Senheiser HD 600 ... hard to beat imho.

I hate mixing with headphones but I do use them to listen to them after they're done.
Old 17th October 2002
I think a pattern is emerging here!
heh
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Talking makes a change !

Old 17th October 2002
Mindreader

I've done a fair bit of mixing with the 580's. They are fairly well matched to my Genelec 1029a's so it doesn't do my head in when I take off the cans and hear the monitors.

But

No matter what I do, when I go back to the monitors, it sounds a little 'strange' when i've mixed entirely on the headphones....hard to put your finger on...I mean, it's close, but no cigar

Even if you had a tiny pair of speakers you could somehow listen back to JUST to check the balance of instruments once you'd mixed on the cans that would be a good idea. I find that it's hard to gage the proximity of things in the cans and they always need a bit of moving about once I'm hearing them coming out into a room.

How about also getting a tiny set of speakers that people use for walkmans? I always have a problem getting lead vocal levels right on headphones, and bass drums always seem to be pushed too loud. (but that's just me)

But yeah, the 580's may not be the best but they have had a price drop.

Hope the tour kicks ass.
Old 17th October 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
How about also getting a tiny set of speakers that people use for walkmans? I always have a problem getting lead vocal levels right on headphones, and bass drums always seem to be pushed too loud. (but that's just me)
You're pretty much describing Auratones. AKA, horrortones. I don't have a real pair around but I do have Rat Shack Minimus 7s which fill the same purpose.
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

studio headphones

The big, heavy, expensive closed back Beyers are the only headphones that I would trust for a "phones-only" mix. And they have several other advantages; they can handle silly amounts of volume, they are better constructed than any other brand I can think of (and designed to be easily repaired) and they are 600 ohm which makes us stone-age types happy.

steve
[email protected]
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Another vote for HD580's.
Do not let a mix go home wityh out double checking these and all my **** speakers.
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

How about Grado's? I've never heard them myself, but audiophiles seem to like them. Any one tried them for mixing?
Old 26th October 2002
Gear Guru

I have the Grado SR 225's. They are really nice and neutral. If you have to mix on headphones they translate pretty well. Not the most comfy pair in the world but you can Bend them to rest properly on Your head.

I love listening to music on the Sennheisers- but I don't know that I would want to mix on them. they are too sexy.
Old 1st November 2002
Bob
Gear Head

HD 580 for me. I've had several others, such as e.g. the AKG 270 studio, doesn't even come close in my opinion.

I'd like to know: which closed pair (for tracking) most resembles the HD 580?

Cheers, Bob
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Maniac

Beyerdynamic DT-250.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Headphones for Monitoring?-dt250.jpg  
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Addict

I'm a big Grado Labs fan too...I've owned 125's (which I gave as a present to my assistant just before he went to rape and pillage australia as a goodbye prezzie..really good bass, soft westlake-ish top & very translateable.) ..and now have 325's. really great.. but horrible looking ! At least no-one will steal them..

It's worth going to a hifi shop and spending too much time there
trying this stuff out. A lot of the pro phones, while built like tanks and good for isolation sound like crap/totally hyped when compared to reference things like this.
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

Here's a great site for everything you've ever wanted to know about headphones.

http://www.headphone.com

I was going to buy the Sennheiser 600 headphones, but this site pretty much sold me on the 580.

Jasper
Old 5th December 2002
Motown legend

I really enjoy my 600s but I find I can troubleshoot better with Sony 7506s which are sort of the NS-10s of headphones except that they have plenty of low-end.
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
Beyerdynamic DT-250.

The beyers are hard to buy in the States. They are tough for studio use and good for closed heaphones to block out drums etc . . . . but over here, they are expensive and somewhat hard to get. I always think of them for good tracking headphones as the open headphones seem better for using as reference, but obviously not as good for isolation and tracking. Closed headphones, after a certain point, seem somewhat claustrophobic. (Just my view)
Old 6th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

I have a pair of AKG 240DF's.
How do they stack up comparatively?

Chris
Old 6th December 2002
One with big hooves

AKG makes some decent phones. The problem with them is that they aren't very effcient and need lots of power to get them as loud as something like the 7506 or AT M40's.
Old 14th December 2002
Here for the gear

This is an interesting thread because I have recently been debating between the Grado SR125, the Sennheiser 580, Sony 7506 and the AKG K501. Any help would be greatly appreciated in comparing these phones. I would like them to be very accurate with accurate bass representation.

Thank You,

Keith
Old 14th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

I went "budget" and got a pair of Sony MDR-V6's off e-bay.
They're supposed to sound just like the 7506's, will let you
know how they are then after they arrive.

Chris
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

From the stock of studio workhorse cans, I have yet to find anything I like or trust as much as good ol' AKG 240's. I'm just so familiar with them, and I appreciate their genuine flatness; they don't hype anything.

Conversely, I find the Sony 7506 to be piercingly bright, and while the Sennheisers I've heard were nice, they seemed nice in a kinda "hi-fi" way.

As for the lack of efficiency with the 240, there's apparently a 55ohm version out now, with a non-captive cable (now, there's an idea).

-dave
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
From the stock of studio workhorse cans, I have yet to find anything I like or trust as much as good ol' AKG 240's. I'm just so familiar with them, and I appreciate their genuine flatness; they don't hype anything.

Conversely, I find the Sony 7506 to be piercingly bright, and while the Sennheisers I've heard were nice, they seemed nice in a kinda "hi-fi" way.
-dave
I'm with you regarding the Sonys . . my ears can't take them . . . way too bright for me. I like my Sennheiser 580s, and I like the AKG 240s for a good studio can (wouldn't mix with them) . . . . what I can't stand is the AKGs being such a pain in the ass to fix, and they break so damn easy. The Sennheiser 280 Pro seems to be a good studio can for me now. Bought a lot of those and they seem to be working out for now.
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

the whole line of the sennheiser 'pro' series cans sound good....i bought the little 212pro's for any tracking that might go on and they sound great....they wont take a lot of volume but that is not a concern here....and at $49 they're disposable.......i personally like my 7506's for mixing but then maybe i dont turn em up as loud as others who dont seem to like the 'toppiness'...down at a quiet and full listening volume they seem to translate better than my akg's .....
Old 16th December 2002
Gear Addict

I recently auditioned a couple pairs of grados against a pair of AKG 240s (which i own). The AKGs were definitely flatter, and I find them very useful in tracking for getting sounds. I don't like them at all for mixing, though, because every instrument seems to occupy its own space, and the mix never sounds like a mix. What's helpful for tracking isn't for mixing. The grados (i think they were 225 & 325, very similar) sounded more finished, more filled in, with more coherence to the mix as a whole. They were still very precise and detailed. I don't know if I could really mix with them, but they'd be better than the AKGs for mixing, I think.
Old 19th December 2002
Here for the gear

Question

has someone tried out the Beyerdynamic DT770?
Those closed headphones are souding great to me, are very confortable for a long time use, and seem indestructible.
They have a wide audio range (5Hz to 35k) and are very precise, although not flat at all.

i'd love to get an audio engineer opinion on that one...

cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search