The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: ,

Building your own transformer balanced microphone splitters?
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Addict

Question Building your own transformer balanced microphone splitters?

Does anyone out there have any experience building their own microphone splitters?

Nothing fancy (ELCO, SSL standard, db25)... Just good old fashioned and big XLR connectors in a 3-way transformer balanced/isloated split.

Which model transformer? I figure that if I'm going to build them, I might as well use Jensen unless someone has any better suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Addict

Nevermind...

I answered my own question.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/mbdpc.pdf

Sometimes I have to make a question public in order for me to instantly solve the problem... Anyone else have this quirk? It's effing annoying.
Old 14th March 2007
Gear Nut

I think sometimes we ask a question that we already know the answer to...We just want someone to agree with us. It makes us feel that were making the right choice.
Old 14th March 2007
Super Moderator

I can relate to that. At times that's truly the case for me.
Old 14th March 2007
Gear Nut

While on this topic...
Is it better to build these or buy them? Any opinions?
My guess, time wise, buy.
Quality at a good (relitive) price, build.
Thoughts?
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

I've been considering making my own passive 24 channel mic splitter, each channel having 1 direct and 2 xfmr isolated outs. Adding up all the costs involved it doesn't make too much sense financially after you've bought all the parts. Sure it'd be a great learning experience but only if you *really* have the time to finish the job.

There's a "splitter thread" somewhere around here - very worth finding if you haven't already.

Cheers!

Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

I am in the process of making my 58 channel passive splitter. It has been a pain in the ass, but I never would have been able to afford to buy a premade one. Check out this thread and know that I have started over to make it look much neater. I will update the thread later tonight.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search