The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics) Summing Mixers
Old 16th October 2002
Here for the gear

Lightbulb I know what I would do...what about you?

Here is a picture of one of my gigs, stage left to be more precise. Given that stage right is identicle. where would you place you downstage audience mics?

How high? How far from the stage? What kind of mics would you all use for this application?

Share your ideas!

peace,

bruce
Attached Thumbnails
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics)-stage-leftsmall.gif  
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Bruce - a few questions

1) what do you have available for the aud mics? Anything super-directional or any shotguns?

2) how many preamps and mic pre's do you have open for the AUD mics?

3) Do you have control of being able to clamp things to a non-moving lighting rig or stack?

Stealing an idea from Mr. Remote himself, you can try clamping mics to the top of a stack, and aiming them towards the section of crowd you want to get. This possibly could work better with stacks that are closer to the audience though, what do you think Steve?

If you have more inputs, doing a pair of two by the stage lip facing the crowd is cool, and doing a stereo pair at the FOH either facing the stage (for the vibe of the whole room and crowd), or facing the back of the arena (for the slap back vibe of the room, and hopefully true fans that paid too much for the ****ty seats)

let us know what options you have to go for...
Old 17th October 2002
Here for the gear

Thanks Jay!

I have lots of AKG stuff long(816's) and short (416's) all the usual stuff.

Lotz of mic pres at the split (fiber snake) and I can access the Truss.

Let me know what you think!

peace,

bruce
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by postboy
Thanks Jay!

I have lots of AKG stuff long(816's) and short (416's) all the usual stuff.

bruce
How about getting some ROWI clamps and rigging the 816s to the lowest part of the lighting rig, or bottom speaker of the stack, aimed somewhere in the middle of the front section. The you can use a pair of the 416s at FOH either facing the stage to get a vibe of how the PA mix sounded in the room (if you want to go for a true listener's perspective, or just use those again positioned with the mains in the null of the mic to bring up more audience response to help you out at mix)

you may want to check out this thread regarding time adjusting/delay of audience/room mics at mix:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...&threadid=1101

let us know what you end up doing and how it worked for your mix
Old 18th October 2002
Super Moderator

If the stacks were on stage, I would possibly clamp the mics or place them on small desk stands (or similar) on top of the stacks. I've also clamped them off the rigging hardware or handles of the inner side of the stack. Aiming them towards the section of crowd you want to get is key. In large arenas, etc., I may mount two 416's per side and a center one downstage behind the vocal monitor wedges.

Based on the picture Bruce provided, I would mount ROWI clamps to the bottom and/or inner side bottom of the flown stacks. It looks like two per side will work best in this situation. One set would point towards the center audience section and the outer pair would point away from the center area. A center mic at DSC by the monitor wedges would be a plus.

Four or five mics spread out across the downstage area works well for me. Adding two to four mics (placed to taste) at FOH will also help add body to the audience soundscape.

Well, that's my angle...

So Bruce, since you already know, "what you would do," why not give us insight on your approach? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, I believe you mean Sennheiser, not AKG. Both 816's and 416's are Sennheiser models. AKG makes shotguns ... one model number that comes to mind is a C568.

The truss may be too high for what you're going for. How high is the truss anyway? If it makes sense, you could hang mics from the truss, but rig some trick line from a few points, to keep the mics stable and pointed where you want them to go.

Just like Jay said, ROWI clamp the mic rigs to the bottom of the speaker of the stacks and aim them towards the middle of the front section. Like I mentioned above, I would add another pair at the front downstage area, pointing out to the outer sections. I would try to stay away from lighting trusses. Super long mic cable and lighting and/or dimmers usually don't mix too well.

I have used (and will use) shotguns, but I rather use a nice pair of cardioid mics when going for a band sound by pointing them towards the stage. If applicable, I would place shotguns pointing back towards the sh*tty seats if necessary.

I hope this helped.
Old 18th October 2002
Here for the gear

great stuff guyz! what an amazing forum!

Steve (of course I meant Sennheiser...):eek: Typos are fun!!!!

I too like great cardioid mics, e.g. AT4050's that kind of stuff!

I will write more on my technique later...gotta prep for a gig today!

as always...peace

"information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music...Music is best!"
fz1979.
Old 25th October 2002
Super Moderator

Postboy,

What's up? Haven't seen your mic technique post yet.

Waiting to hear what you have to say about it.

Keep us posted

Thanks in advance...
Old 29th October 2002
Here for the gear

Hello to Steve and ALL!

Sorry for the delay in writing a reply to my own quiry, but I have been in a recording and mixing marathon!!! ( 4 days and counting...8am till the weeee hours...YIKES!!! I am not yet finished but will write as soon as I am!

Till then...dreaming of sleep...ahhhh peaceful sleeppppppppppppp.

cheers....

bruce
Old 7th November 2002
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by postboy
Hello to Steve and ALL!

Sorry for the delay in writing a reply to my own quiry, but I have been in a recording and mixing marathon!!! ( 4 days and counting...8am till the weeee hours...YIKES!!! I am not yet finished but will write as soon as I am!

Till then...dreaming of sleep...ahhhh peaceful sleeppppppppppppp.

cheers....

bruce
Bruce,

Did you you finish yet? (hint, hint, hint)
Old 8th November 2002
Here for the gear

Hello Steve and all! I finally (yesterday) finished the 1st draft of my new PPV special due to air sometime Q1 2003. It was a very intense record/mix date with lots of deadline pressure and all the usual quirks, but, I am extreamly happy to say that we pulled it off without a single problem! The only thing that came close to a problem was when the opening act (BNA artist Kellie Coffey) drummer thought it might be cute to bash one of my B&K 4011's (on the OVHDS) to smithereens during a passionate drum fill...(big guy...bashes realllllly hard...)

Luckily...the mic survived...my ears and heart..another matter...

Here are some pics...more on the tech side after the sleep thing...

oh...heres the fiber ugliness!!! worked like a freakin charm!
Attached Thumbnails
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics)-fiber.gif  
Old 8th November 2002
Here for the gear

boy things can get stupid in a real hurry, can't they??? very small audio room in the truck...

big silly patch bay....
Attached Thumbnails
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics)-before-really-got-hairy-.gif  
Old 8th November 2002
Here for the gear

but wait i needed to patch more...hellllllllllp me I can't stop!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics)-startin-get-messy.gif  
Old 8th November 2002
Here for the gear

the truck was too small to contain my lust for GEAR!!!! so...improvisation is key...

man I felt bad for my operator...it was F(*&*^%^ing cold in the dock!

great for the fire breathin dragon though! My 48input (6 888-24) Pro Tools system. I used a 6 card - Dual 800 mac G4 w/ 1.5 gigs of ram...and 2-80 gig digi firewire drives...ohhhhhhh it was good...!

Oh yeah...more on mic placement later...gotta sleepy sleepy...

Attached Thumbnails
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics)-pt-outside.gif  
Old 8th November 2002
Super Moderator

Hey, Hey,

Don't say, PT. We don't want to loose you to the PT forum. heh

Nice pictures. Any wide shots of the CRM? And what about you? Get in front of the lens.

I like the multi colored patch cords. Do you use the colored cords in any special way?

We usually color code our patchs.

Black for compressors, limiters, etc.
Blue for the wet stuff, reverbs, etc.
Red for buss outs.
Yellow for direct outs
Green for outside world stuff...
Or what ever color code that works for the session.
Old 9th November 2002
Here for the gear

Yeah steve...I do like to color code my cables...in the heat of battle in an analogue truck especially! I do much like you but, i kinda size it up by the gig...

here is a shot of our front console...it is a AMEK Recall 56 w/ supertrue and Virtual Dyn. Nice eq...
Attached Thumbnails
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics)-front-console.gif  
Old 9th November 2002
Here for the gear

oh yeah...the ass blows out and there is this desk as well...
Attached Thumbnails
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics)-rear-console.gif  
Old 9th November 2002
Here for the gear

and since you asked...herrrrrrrres johnny...I mean me...last minute check of the opening acts mics...
Attached Thumbnails
I know what I would do...what about you? (downstage audience mics)-before-kellie.gif  
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Nut

Hmmm....

That looks suspiciously like a crazy-ass I used to work with up in the mountains right off Hell's Peak...

-Moze
Old 9th November 2002
Super Moderator

Cool pictures!

Questions:

Is one console position dedicaded to the music mix and the other to the broadcast mix and comm needs?

Are they both in the same room or are they isolated from each other?
Old 6th December 2002
Super Moderator

Postboy,

Did you ever tell us if...

The one console position is dedicaded to the music mix and the other to the broadcast mix and comm needs?

Also, are they both in the same room or isolated from each other?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search