The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

My Zoom H6 has gotten sticky. Is there a solution?
Old 14th February 2017
Gear Maniac
My Zoom H6 has gotten sticky. Is there a solution?

Hi there,

very unfortunately my Zoom H6 has gotten sticky with time. Zoom unofficially suggested alcohol. It didn't worked. Do you have any idea what to do to solve it?
The rubbery surface of the H6 is like of many other devices of the kind. Have you ever had that sort of issue?

Thanks. Best.
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares View Post
Hi there,

very unfortunately my Zoom H6 has gotten sticky with time. Zoom unofficially suggested alcohol. It didn't worked. Do you have any idea what to do to solve it?
The rubbery surface of the H6 is like of many other devices of the kind. Have you ever had that sort of issue?

Thanks. Best.
here is something that does NOT work .. 409, i tried it on a USB hub that has that same surface .. really bad idea to have things with a surface like this ..

if i find something i will post back .. avoid 409 or anything similar in your area of the world
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
here is something that does NOT work .. 409, i tried it on a USB hub that has that same surface .. really bad idea to have things with a surface like this ..

if i find something i will post back .. avoid 409 or anything similar in your area of the world
Thanks!
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe one of the cleaner/rejuvenators made for rubber? Lots of them on Amazon or at your local auto parts store. Try on a small area first before using it on the whole unit. The main problem with alcohol is that is dries out rubber. Best of luck!
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!
what do you have available in Brasil like a Home Depot or local Hardware store with an Old Guy that knows everything ??
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Maybe one of the cleaner/rejuvenators made for rubber? Lots of them on Amazon or at your local auto parts store. Try on a small area first before using it on the whole unit. The main problem with alcohol is that is dries out rubber. Best of luck!
thanks!
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
what do you have available in Brasil like a Home Depot or local Hardware store with an Old Guy that knows everything ??
Will try that. Thanks!
Old 17th September 2018
I’m having the same problem.

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks. Best.
I’m having the same problem though I will admit it had been kept in a closed Travel Trailer for the last month. Went to use it the other day and the surface is sticky. Alcohol doesn’t touch it. tried “Goof Off” as well to no avail.
Keep me posted if you find anything.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

The fix in the old days with rubber that was going bad was to put Talcum powder on it. It worked. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I’m having the same problem with my H5. I found that multiple gentle swabs with a cotton balls with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol is starting to remove the sticky coating. Fortunately the painted labels are not effected.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrising View Post
I’m having the same problem with my H5. I found that multiple gentle swabs with a cotton balls with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol is starting to remove the sticky coating. Fortunately the painted labels are not effected.
I've had success with this but it was temporary. The sticky comes back pretty soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
If the rubber is degrading, nothing will fix it. If there is still life in it, Windex on a cloth can help. Safer than alcohol on rubber.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just for fun I tried spraying Vinegar on a cloth and wiped a small carrying case that was becoming sticky and so far the stickiness has not come back. Just an idea.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any idea, why the enclosure gets sticky? I have a new H6 and a U-24 since 2 years (same material). Both are not sticky, I would just like to now, why some get sticky with time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi there,

very unfortunately my Zoom H6 has gotten sticky with time. :.
I know this is a serious topic... BUT its also quite funny, or maybe just my sense of humour (Jimmy Carr, UK comedienne would also agree :-) )
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Any idea, why the enclosure gets sticky?
I was wondering that, too. The OP is in Brazil -- if that means Rio, it also means really crappy air.

EV RE20's are full of foam that almost always seems to dissolve over time and make the mic useless until you replace it. I have one like that. Yet GSer @hughshouse has three of them, fairly old ones, and they're all fine. Near as I can tell, he lives on a mountaintop where the air is a lot cleaner than it is here in -- cough cough -- LA.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I was wondering that, too. The OP is in Brazil -- if that means Rio, it also means really crappy air.

EV RE20's are full of foam that almost always seems to dissolve over time and make the mic useless until you replace it. I have one like that. Yet GSer @hughshouse has three of them, fairly old ones, and they're all fine. Near as I can tell, he lives on a mountaintop where the air is a lot cleaner than it is here in -- cough cough -- LA.
But I guess foam is a different issue. A few years ago, I received some Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser mics as a gift from a client. Those were in his warehouse for decades. The climate in Germany isn't that hard and his warehouse was moderately heated during winter etc. The foam in the mic-cases was very sticky and disintegrated in some cases, in others not so. I have 30 years old JBL Control One (still made in the US back then!) speakers. Although they were always a couple:-), always in the same room close to one another, the membran-edge on one of them is completely disintegrated, the other still looks like new...Materials!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

White Vinegar can work .. amazing stuff
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search