The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Hacked off by an amateur with a dat machine?? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

New York is great but ages one too fast. Very high stress is there along with the many benefits of a world cultural capital. One of the great cities of the world but never my choice to live there. Why would I with kids and a family??

Certainly their orchestra is not nearly as good as the Chicago Symphony.

Ludicrous statements from posters such as Samc have zero basis in fact or on the ground.

Midwestern values are what I am comfortable with.

Chicago is the best city in America by far.

The mayor gave each bum $20 and shipped them out to Indiana.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
The mayor gave each bum $20 and shipped them out to Indiana
. I do hope those aren't the Midwestern values you were talking about. Though I suppose California's NIMBY culture is the worst in the nation, we only talk about empathy, we never show any unfortunately.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
The whole cement overcoat thing is just fiction.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
The whole cement overcoat thing is just fiction.
That's true. Its 5 gallon pails of concrete, worn as galoshes normally. Works in any city with a waterfront.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I was in the city of Amsterdam in 1990. The same scenario happened in "needle park" next to the Reich Museum. I watched as people walked by him on the ground. I walked over to the needle exchange booth and told them of the finding and they called the police.
I have a very vivid memory of those wild late eighties/early nineties in Amsterdam as well. You may like to know that nothing of all that stuff is there now anymore. No "needle park" (heroin is gone), no junkies lying around everywhere anymore, heck: not even a "Reich Museum". (Reich is a German term referring to something that is very heavily charged in a city like Amsterdam. Let's just stay with the wonderful, completely renovated Rijksmuseum. ) Cities change over time.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have not been to NY for a few years, the last time I was there the subway smelled of stale urine, there was a person laying on the street stark naked with a syringe sticking out of his arm and I saw literally hundreds of people walking by this person and no one stopped to help. Finally a lady took a garbage bag and covered him with it and used her cell phone to dial 911. Not a very "friendly" city from what I can tell. Yes the food is great, it has good music (if you don't mind paying a lot to see it), never went to a bar in NY and it can be a very COLD city in the winter. I can stand to be there for about 3 days for the AES convention and then I want to be back in the Midwest. FWIW
I do not question your love of the Midwest, we all like what we like and many of us will only really like what we know...but to use one bad experience to paint all of what is certainly one of...(if not the most) dynamic and culturally diverse cities in the world as bad, is akin to people making judgements about America and Americans based on seeing a couple of Sylvester Stallone movies...

For every bad story and experience about NY that you can recall, I can probably recall a hundred really good ones about experiences I and people I know have witnessed there...do I need to point out that bad, horrible, disgusting **** happens everywhere.

Last edited by Samc; 2 days ago at 12:02 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
New York is great but ages one too fast. Very high stress is there along with the many benefits of a world cultural capital. One of the great cities of the world but never my choice to live there. Why would I with kids and a family??

Certainly their orchestra is not nearly as good as the Chicago Symphony.

Ludicrous statements from posters such as Samc have zero basis in fact or on the ground.

Midwestern values are what I am comfortable with.

Chicago is the best city in America by far.

The mayor gave each bum $20 and shipped them out to Indiana.
The crime and stress free city of Chicago, where greatness abounds is obviously a better place to raise kids....but
lots of people have, and still raise kids in NYC...lots of great people were raised there, but it’s clear it can’t, and will never be for everyone.

Obviously, the bar for greatness is very low in the Midwest...just bus some homeless and possibly mentally ill people out of state.

Last edited by Samc; 2 days ago at 12:08 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
The crime and stress free city of Chicago, where greatness abounds is obviously a better place to raise kids....but
lots of people have, and still raise kids in NYC...lots of great people were raised there, but it’s clear it can’t, and will never be for everyone.
According to statistics, in recent years there has been a lot more crime in Chicago than New York, and Chicago supposedly has more gang activity
than any other US city. However there are around 40 US cities with a higher crime rate than Chicago.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
According to statistics, in recent years there has been a lot more crime in Chicago than New York, and Chicago supposedly has more gang activity
than any other US city. However there are around 40 US cities with a higher crime rate than Chicago.
Yeah, my tongue was firmly pushing out my cheek when I wrote that. The suggestion that Chicago is a great place to raise children but NYC isn’t, is beyond ridiculous.
Old 1 day ago
You can't pick your relatives but you can pick where you live. Big cities all have the same issues, some good stuff with a lot of bad stuff. Smaller cities at around 100k are far better run. Most big cities have a poor debt to receipts ratio.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Totally, I mean I lived in San Diego for the past 30 years.

Chicago can go **** itself.
Old 21 hours ago
Fortunately the cost of admission here in San Diego proper keeps many out of the area. That suits me just fine. Do come for a vacation though, we keep the beaches nice and clean year round.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search