The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Hacked off by an amateur with a dat machine?? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
  #91
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
you suck heh heh
Yes, what was so bad about buying a DAT machine when they were under $2,000? I did. And that was 20 years ago.
Old 1 week ago
  #92
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issadore View Post
I wish there was a thumbs down button on GS for when people completely miss the point. It happens all the time in these forums.
The thumbs down button was awesome!

There used to be a thumbs down button here that worked really well. And each post would have a red thumbs down and a green thumbs up number so you'd know how many people agreed and disagreed with you.

There was this poster here named "The K-Man" and he would routinely give the worst and most misinformed advice and appropriately, he would get thumbed down into oblivion. His posts would have really high red numbers.

Anyway, he equated this to him being "bullied" and led this insane one man assault against the thumbs down system where he'd pop into every thread and rail against it endlessly. He messaged mods non-stop and popped into every thread to talk about how thumbs down equated to abuse and everything.

Anyway, he was really relentless and basically GS folded just to quiet him and did away with the system. Although considering the current state of this site, it would have been eliminated anyway - no way half the people on this site these days would be able to cope with getting a thumbs down or having people disagree with them but the thumbs down button actually worked really well here for making it easy to skim and see what posts were worth reading.


I didn't let him (or GS for that matter) off the hook so easily and so until he eventually left the site, I'd respond to every one of his posts with just a screenshot I had taken of a bunch of thumbs down of one of his posts, so effectively I could still "thumbs down" him even though he tried to make it go away.

Old 1 week ago
  #93
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Side note, insulting me is one thing, but don't insult my clients. You don't know them, they are not part of this discussion, they are good people, excellent musicians, and know the value of a good recording.
The disrespect came from you when you claimed some of them were temporarily “poached” instead of realizing and admitting that they (like everybody else) were just looking for a “better” deal than they were getting from you. People offer lowball rates and services because there are people who will pay for and accept it, having expert knowledge and tools does not gurantee a monopoly in the marketplace...there is always someone with more knowledge and more/better tools who think you guys doing business from the back of your family sedan are just ankle biters. It works both ways.
Old 1 week ago
  #94
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
The thumbs down button was awesome!

There used to be a thumbs down button here that worked really well. And each post would have a red thumbs down and a green thumbs up number so you'd know how many people agreed and disagreed with you.

There was this poster here named "The K-Man" and he would routinely give the worst and most misinformed advice and appropriately, he would get thumbed down into oblivion. His posts would have really high red numbers.

Anyway, he equated this to him being "bullied" and led this insane one man assault against the thumbs down system where he'd pop into every thread and rail against it endlessly. He messaged mods non-stop and popped into every thread to talk about how thumbs down equated to abuse and everything.

Anyway, he was really relentless and basically GS folded just to quiet him and did away with the system. Although considering the current state of this site, it would have been eliminated anyway - no way half the people on this site these days would be able to cope with getting a thumbs down or having people disagree with them but the thumbs down button actually worked really well here for making it easy to skim and see what posts were worth reading.


I didn't let him (or GS for that matter) off the hook so easily and so until he eventually left the site, I'd respond to every one of his posts with just a screenshot I had taken of a bunch of thumbs down of one of his posts, so effectively I could still "thumbs down" him even though he tried to make it go away.

Apparently it was also a good way to run around the forum and harass the people you don’t like...you didn’t have to explain why you disagreed with the post in question, if that was even the real reason for hitting the dislike button in the first place. As someone else said above, it was gutless.
Old 1 week ago
  #95
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Apparently it was also a good way to run around the forum and harass the people you don’t like...you didn’t have to explain why you disagreed with the post in question, if that was even the real reason for hitting the dislike button in the first place. As someone else said above, it was gutless.
I think how we see it is more a reflection of ourselves. Like Brent said, it wasn't anonymous so it's not exactly gutless. I saw it as a useful way to mark spam posts and posts filled with misinformation.

If you see it as gutless, well, what can I say. The world's gonna be a tough place if you can't cope with people who disagree with you without feeling a need to say more than "I disagree".
Old 1 week ago
  #96
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I think how we see it is more a reflection of ourselves. Like Brent said, it wasn't anonymous so it's not exactly gutless. I saw it as a useful way to mark spam posts and posts filled with misinformation.

If you see it as gutless, well, what can I say. The world's gonna be a tough place if you can't cope with people who disagree with you without feeling a need to say more than "I disagree".
It was not anonymous but you didn’t have to state why you disagreed or even if you disagreed in the first place...it could be that you didn’t like the person and used this as a means to harass and hound them as you did with that other poster you mentioned. You didn’t let him off the hook, and you responded to every post he made with a screenshot of a bunch of thumbs down he had received in another post he made until he left the forum...sounds like classic juvenile harassment behavior to me.

Is that what I should have done here instead of stating my arguments clearly for people to either ignore or debate as they see fit?
My point is that there was nothing great or even helpful about people using the dislike button...and it was used as a means to hound and harass as you've clearly admitted.

When I disagree with a claim or want to point out misinformation or mistakes I do so openly, the community can gain from the ensuing discussion, or have another point of view they can then consider and research if they so desire. I also use my ‘real’ name...that should tell you how scared I am of people disagreeing with me.
Old 1 week ago
  #97
Gear Addict
 
fred2bern's Avatar
 

Gentlemen,

We are really far away from the main subject now...
Relax, it's just the web.
Old 1 week ago
  #98
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
Gentlemen,

We are really far away from the main subject now...
I agree.
Old 1 week ago
  #99
(Thumbs down)
Old 1 week ago
  #100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Reflect on that for a bit. Amateurs here and there will never have the impact of robots owned and controlled by gigantic corporations.

But, too-- never underestimate the potential of gigantic robots controlled by tiny corporations!
Old 1 week ago
  #101
Lives for gear
Perhaps Godzilla will rise up to save humanity from the corporate robots.
Old 1 week ago
  #102
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Chitcago did a pretty good job chasing out the entire middle class. Was that the mob or the political class? A modern map shows the entire city is poor with a small piece by the beach and the northwest section as upper class. There are no middle class neighborhoods left in the city. They all moved to the suburbs. Do you live in the city?
We live here in the best American city. Strong economy, excellent cultural life, easy to get around by car; outstanding public transport. I’m not sure where you got your news but in no way is the middle class absent in Chicago. Neither is it a poor city like Detroit City. There are plenty of excellent neighborhoods with good city services. In fact millions live in these vibrant middle class districts.

Yes, I do live in the city of Chicago proper.

The south side of Chicago is segregated still and generally is poorer and prone to constant criminal violence. Parts are a no go zone.

It is true that an over abundance of money has been spent to make sure downtown is beautiful and thriving. We have scores of big company’s world headquarters here. It looks fantastic. We have tens of thousands of tourist visitors every day here. This can swell to hundreds of thousands.

Our ball parks are right in the neighborhood and you can walk there. Our museums are some of the best in the world. Our architecture and our symphony orchestra are the best in the USA.

However, on paper, both Illinois and Chicago are broke. This is not evident in every day life though. This is because both owe tens of billions of dollars in back public employee pension contributions. The total debt is in the hundreds of billions. That’s the sad part because it means that Chicago is a high tax, high fee area. Our public schools are not great. Our universities including Northwestern, Univ. of Chicago, DePaul Univ. are outstanding.

Interestingly enough, violent crime and murders are less than half what they were in the 1970’s. Some studios have a gun on the console. Many carry guns here in town. We are a concealed carry state.

In general a fantastic town situated on a spectacular lake front.

Last edited by Plush; 6 days ago at 06:39 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #103
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
Did your symphony players get their raise?

D.
Old 1 week ago
  #104
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Dats are cool but....eggboy just claimed another politician with a whole carton
Old 1 week ago
  #105
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
Wasn't sad to see my (otherwise reliable) HHB DAT go.

D.
Old 6 days ago
  #106
Lives for gear
 
Yannick's Avatar
 

Still have my DA30.
But these days I use my Zoom F8 to hack off clients which would have been hacked off myself otherwise
Old 6 days ago
  #107
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Still have my DA30.
But these days I use my Zoom F8 to hack off clients which would have been hacked off myself otherwise
Don’t forget to buy protective gear...helmet, knee and shin guards etc. Metal batons can do a lot of damage.
Old 6 days ago
  #108
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Did your symphony players get their raise?

D.
Not yet--still on strike.

Public is outraged by management.
Old 6 days ago
  #109
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Not yet--still on strike.

Public is outraged by management.
Being outraged by management? I've been (mostly) outraged at "management" for 40 years. The Chicago Symphony strike will show why unions are a good thing even in this era of anti-union sentiment.

"Unions. The folks that brought you weekends."

D.

Old 6 days ago
  #110
Lives for gear
 
John Moran's Avatar
 

Unions, the folks that brought you this :

"However, on paper, both Illinois and Chicago are broke. This is not evident in every day life though. This is because both owe tens of billions of dollars in back public employee pension contributions. The total debt is in the hundreds of billions. That’s the sad part because it means that Chicago is a high tax, high fee area. "
Old 6 days ago
  #111
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
Unions, the folks that brought you this :
! see that we have the bosses/exploiters/employers being championed...... at the expense of the workers (same as it ever was...)
Old 5 days ago
  #112
Lives for gear
At the risk of going vastly off-topic (as if we haven't already...) I thank you for this summary of a 'failing state'.....I suspect the social and fiscal engineering necessary to turn this oil-tanker of a problem (obviously years in the building...) around is beyond those currently holding the reins of power ?

However I'll comment no further as it's all clearly OT...but would continue the discussion, if it can be moved to the General (Non-Audio) Business area of GS ..Moan Zone et al ?
Old 5 days ago
  #113
To me Chicago is the New York of the Midwest but a lot nicer than New York. My favorite cities in America are San Fransisco, Seattle, Chicago and the whole state of North Carolina. I was on foot and lost in Chicago and walked up to a nicely dressed gentleman and asked him for directions. He not only gave me the directions but said he was going that way and walked me to my destination. That was an AMAZING experience. Turned out he was a business executive for an insurance company.

As to DAT machines. I still have two Sony 500s that work well and use them for transfer work and for my Hip Hop clients who seem to still like DATs.
Old 5 days ago
  #114
Lives for gear
re DAT...my entry to high-end live recording, the cute little Teac DA-P20 portable.

Test Drive: The Teac DA-P20 Portable DAT Recorder - Radio And Production


Ran on NiCads all day, but eventually succumbed to the failing rubber parts/failing transport malaise, where no amount of service-tech maintenance could keep it reliably afloat. When it chewed tapes it was merciless....and it didn't like recording if it came from a warm room into a cold one or vice versa (just like many condenser mics)

IIRC it used pre-emphasis and recorded at 48k 16 bit...sounded great, and was able to render a good acoustic very faithfully.

Nowadays I doubt I could find any well-maintained DAT machine to play back that mountain of tapes stashed away in the spare room cupboard....and eventually it succumbed to the terminal 'rubberized outer coating shedding syndrome' too.
Old 5 days ago
  #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
! see that we have the bosses/exploiters/employers being championed...... at the expense of the workers (same as it ever was...)

Bosses and employers are workers too. They give the rest of us jobs and incur all the investment and risk of running a business. Business owners, CEO's, and others employers deserve some championing every now and then.

That is not too belittle the necessity to properly compensate the employees. Sometimes unions are needed to protect large groups of people, just like any system of local government, even if they do function in many cases more similarly to organized crime than a government.

There is also a gentlemanly pack in some industries, like piano tuners, where some contractors will refuse to work at a certain venue if they know a colleague has jurisdiction. I wish audio engineer's were so civil. I certainly do not promote myself to organizations who already have an engineer. That would be attempted poaching.
Old 5 days ago
  #116
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
To me Chicago is the New York of the Midwest but a lot nicer than New York. My favorite cities in America are San Fransisco, Seattle, Chicago and the whole state of North Carolina. I was on foot and lost in Chicago and walked up to a nicely dressed gentleman and asked him for directions. He not only gave me the directions but said he was going that way and walked me to my destination. That was an AMAZING experience. Turned out he was a business executive for an insurance company.
“Nicer than New York”...does not exist, not in the mid-west anyway. There are lots and lots of nice people in New York who would jump to give a stranger directions, my wife found this out when she opened a map on the subway. Didn’t need to ask any questions before a bunch of people offered to help.

Lots of really great cities around. But NY has The best restaurants/food, best music, bars, the coolest city...I could go on.
Old 4 days ago
  #117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
“Nicer than New York”...does not exist, not in the mid-west anyway. There are lots and lots of nice people in New York who would jump to give a stranger directions, my wife found this out when she opened a map on the subway. Didn’t need to ask any questions before a bunch of people offered to help.

Lots of really great cities around. But NY has The best restaurants/food, best music, bars, the coolest city...I could go on.
I have not been to NY for a few years, the last time I was there the subway smelled of stale urine, there was a person laying on the street stark naked with a syringe sticking out of his arm and I saw literally hundreds of people walking by this person and no one stopped to help. Finally a lady took a garbage bag and covered him with it and used her cell phone to dial 911. Not a very "friendly" city from what I can tell. Yes the food is great, it has good music (if you don't mind paying a lot to see it), never went to a bar in NY and it can be a very COLD city in the winter. I can stand to be there for about 3 days for the AES convention and then I want to be back in the Midwest. FWIW
Old 4 days ago
  #118
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Tom, it sounds like you haven't visited NYC for quite some time. Not my experience at all in the last ten years. And since events like 911 and Hurricane Sandy, NYC seems to have become more friendly and caring. I feel pretty good about my daughter living there.
Old 4 days ago
  #119
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
there was a person laying on the street stark naked with a syringe sticking out of his arm and I saw literally hundreds of people walking by this person and no one stopped to help
what did you do to help
Old 4 days ago
  #120
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
what did you do to help
I did not have a cell phone and I was not sure what to do. I looked around for some paper or a trash bag to cover him but could not find any. The person I was with, who is a native NY, NY person said it would be better if someone else called 911. So we stood there until help arrived (an ambulance) and we walked away. I know I could/should have done more but...

If that had happened in my town I would have called 911 from my cell phone and found something to cover him up and waited until the police arrived.

I was in the city of Amsterdam in 1990. The same scenario happened in "needle park" next to the Reich Museum. I watched as people walked by him on the ground. I walked over to the needle exchange booth and told them of the finding and they called the police.

What would YOU do in a situation where you are far from home and ...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
andreªs / Music Computers
12
dtucker / So much gear, so little time
7
Jules / Music Computers
3
David R. / Music Computers
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump