The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Recording Trumpet + Sax
Old 13th January 2017
Here for the gear

Recording Trumpet + Sax

Hi, I am recording trumpet and tenor sax and wonder about best mic allocation from the following.

2 x Neumann 184
1 x TLM 103
1 x RE-20
2 x SM57
1 x Rode NT1a

D

Last edited by taliras; 13th January 2017 at 02:59 PM..
Old 13th January 2017
Which saxes?
Old 13th January 2017
Here for the gear

Tenor Sax
Old 13th January 2017
RPC
Gear Addict

I think we need more information. As TMetzinger notes, the range of the sax is important. Is this in a performance space or a studio? Do you want an ambient "classical music" sound or a tighter "jazz/pop" sound?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Of the mics you list, I would try the KM184s first; they are your best bet. If you are looking for 'character' you could experiment with the LDCs (maybe at the same time as the KM184s, so you can try a blend). The dynamics would work for close mic-ing if the room or spill is a problem. My $0.02.
Old 13th January 2017
Don't discount the RE20 on the tenor.
Old 14th January 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for advice. It is for recording brass overdubs on reggae in an untreated not so great sounding living room using reflections filters. Close miking most likely. Tight sound would be ideal. Was concerned km184s would be too bright?
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear
On a slightly different tangent, here's how simply the classic CBS recordings from the late 50's/early 60's were miked (Brubeck, Davis et al):

Recording: Remastering Three Jazz Classics: The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Art Pepper, and Sonny Rollins - Pro Sound Web

If you like that sound, the message seems to be 'don't overcomplicate things' !
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Here is a reasonably good photo of the Brubeck Quartet with the linked setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording Trumpet + Sax-brubeck30thstgoboed.jpg  
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear
Great pic, thanks Sandy !

I think all those drapes around the walls and goboes would dry up the ambience quite a bit, so that's where spring and plate reverbs and live chambers would bring back a bit of wet...very tastefully done of course
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search