The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portable recorder for classical chamber music Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
It comes with a USB and a lightning port cable as well as with Windows drivers. It doesn't need the iOS app to work. I use it mostly with the camera app on my iPhone and it is simply recognized as a USB device / Mic. You can do all the settings (low-pass filter, monitoring level, record level, the mode of the mic on the mic itself). So maybe?
Dirk, yes, that is good to know. I am just surrised a platform as large as Android was left off the OS list. Perhaps they are working in it. It would get them onto a lot of phones and all the Chromebooks. Now that would be a light 'n sweet setup for peanuts, unsalted. I am sure they have thought of that. Thanks. Tschuess.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
The problem of using cheap mics with cheap electronics is that the mics demand lots of clean gain, and the electronics demand a microphone that's sensitive enough to not need a lot of clean gain. This conflict results in... noise.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone; I'm just stating the obvious.
Actually, I think your statement is brilliant because it is succinct, simple, and straightforward. Plus, if it were obvious, I think there would be about half the number threads on GS as there are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I recommend a Nagra Mezzo. Relatively cheap and you can easily set it on a music stand and capture your rehearsal.

Otherwise, continue to hire real recordists so that you can sound at your best.
You know exactly what to say to a musician.

I understand where the OP is coming from though.
Old 25th January 2017
That Tascam will work fine for you. It will improve even more with better mics so it has room to grow. If you ever go pro and start making money you have good recommendations here for stepping up your game. In the mean time, enjoy recording.
Old 6th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Not to reopen an argument, re: overdubbing, but my 73 year old head seems to have clarified a bit. Plus, I did a bit of research.

Recording a track was called "bubbing a track". Overwriting a track was called "overdubbing a track". Mostly we did that with old cheap mono reel to reel machines long before there was such a thing as a cassette, by putting a switch in that would cut out the erase head as was described in some of the electronics hobby magazine.

I do not remember doing that with music, but for voice recording on old Wollensack mono recorders it worked okay (they were not exactly hifi to start with). Also, remember I was a kid back in those days.

Nowadays, the term dubbing seems to have been replace with overdubbing.

Once again, not interested in restarting an argument, just a bit of obscure historical background.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I am actually quite pleased with the FETHeads. I have used them on a Royer SF-12 and they are clean and provide about 27dB of gain; enough to make the preamps in the SD 788T quite useable. My experience with the Cloudlifter series was pretty awful. Noisy, noisy, noisy.

And I also agree with Tim and say to all those who believe that the KM18x series sounds "just as good" (all on what Neumann says) that I didn't find that to be true. I got rid of mine as fast as I could while still being quite happy with my KM100 amps and AK40 heads. Not my first choice but they don't sound bad.

D.
Your comments about the Cloudlifter amps is a little perturbing, I bought some of these on the strength of many reviews, and also some tests which were done in comparison with the FETheads by Jim Williams, which put the Cloudlifters in a far better light than the FETheads.

What sort of noise were you experiencing? I think I'm going to have to set these up and have a look at the situation!
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I am actually quite pleased with the FETHeads. I have used them on a Royer SF-12 and they are clean and provide about 27dB of gain; enough to make the preamps in the SD 788T quite useable. My experience with the Cloudlifter series was pretty awful. Noisy, noisy, noisy.

And I also agree with Tim and say to all those who believe that the KM18x series sounds "just as good" (all on what Neumann says) that I didn't find that to be true. I got rid of mine as fast as I could while still being quite happy with my KM100 amps and AK40 heads. Not my first choice but they don't sound bad.

D.
Your comment about the Cloudlifter amps is a little perturbing, I bought some of these on the strength of many reviews, and also some tests which were done in comparison with the FETheads, which put the Cloudlifters in a far better light than the FETheads on a number of points.

What sort of noises were you experiencing? Could it have been a noisy 48v supply?

I must say I've not come across criticism of the Cloudlifters before. I think I'm going to have to set these up and have a look at the situation!

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 10th February 2017 at 10:17 PM..
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

D.
Doug - inre: km184 vs km140 - I did a head to head shootout between my pairs of each a while back. The responses were some felt the 140s were better, some felt the 184s were better, and most people, after 3000 or so listens to the files, could not hear any difference between the 184s and the 140s.
You can listen to them for yourself here:
KM184 vs KM140
Old 7th May 2017
Here for the gear
I have the original Zoom h4n version 1. I have always liked it s sound and tonal reproduction especially for acoustic guitar. I think Zoom has always tuned their signature for guitar as they are mostly for song writing tools). Though the quality of the AD conversion is not amazing, certainly good enough for an above average YouTube video.
I bought the Tascam UH7000 and recorded my CD with it, I am quite pleased with the sound of its audio capture though I think it works best with a brighter sounding Mic like AKG instead of the Audio-technica AT4081 I used or the Rode NT2a (Neumann-esque) which are warm rich and slightly dark sounding with strong mid range humps in middle mid (rode) and low mid and low treble (AT). I think the general Tascam sound is slightly dark sounding but I like it. I haven't checked but I think an AKG C12 clone or a c414 would really suit the tascam sound. The zoom would work well with something that has a warm mid hump or is slightly dark, definitely not with a bright Mic.
Like my UH7000 I am interested in the signature of the Tascam DR100 mkiii and most importantly are the converters as good as the UH? If so then I could use it to record my next CD and it would also double as an excellent camera Mic and audio interface for student recordings.
If you want to hear my microphones paired with the Tascam search YouTube for :
"Recuerdos de la Alhmabra soundknight21 Brian Cullen".
Let me know what you think too
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search