The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

How good is Tascam HS-P82 recorder vs sound Devices? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

I could do a fair test by sending the same signal into ½ and ¾ of my 744T and take some measurements...

I have to wonder, though, as when the ½ inputs are switched to mic, the gain can be from zero to 67.5, and when switched to line it runs from -6 to +16. If the line position was simple padded to the mic pre, wouldn't it have zero to +16 gain?
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Guru
Just got a SD Mix Pre 6M I'm using as a stand alone to replace an ancient Korg D12. It sounds great. The pres are very quiet and the conversion sounds top notch. I was going optical into the D12 to bypass conversion and pres so sounded fine. Sound Devices support has been stellar with questions. The build quality is really impressive and just wish it had digital ins and outs. I'd be interested in how people are finding the conversion stacks up to UA, Apogee, RME or Audient interfaces.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Just got a SD Mix Pre 6M I'm using as a stand alone to replace an ancient Korg D12. It sounds great. The pres are very quiet and the conversion sounds top notch. I was going optical into the D12 to bypass conversion and pres so sounded fine. Sound Devices support has been stellar with questions. The build quality is really impressive and just wish it had digital ins and outs. I'd be interested in how people are finding the conversion stacks up to UA, Apogee, RME or Audient interfaces.
I am a fan of the Mini Me. So much in fact that I prefer them over the Nagra VI. In comparison, it is more open, transparent, less colored and less pillowed. When I sample the MixPre 10....it was a huge disappointment for my use (orchestra and wind band and choir). Flat, congested, lifeless. However, the quietness was clearly evident. Now...if Sound Devices would get serious for location music recordist and tackle the preamps and converters and inputs - that would be nice. Until then...Nagra, Sonosax, 4Minx are tier 1. The SD 7 series, Tascam HSP82 tier 2, SD 6 and MixPre series tier 3, then the Zoom, Tascams, and the like tier 4. MHO.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
I am a fan of the Mini Me. So much in fact that I prefer them over the Nagra VI. In comparison, it is more open, transparent, less colored and less pillowed. When I sample the MixPre 10....it was a huge disappointment for my use (orchestra and wind band and choir). Flat, congested, lifeless. However, the quietness was clearly evident. Now...if Sound Devices would get serious for location music recordist and tackle the preamps and converters and inputs - that would be nice. Until then...Nagra, Sonosax, 4Minx are tier 1. The SD 7 series, Tascam HSP82 tier 2, SD 6 and MixPre series tier 3, then the Zoom, Tascams, and the like tier 4. MHO.
I only record pop music so the Mix Pre works fine. It has a very full sound and compliments the source well. Not really dull and lifeless, plenty of detail and good for eq if needed.

I wonder if you wouldn't be happier trying the older units? The MixPre series are around $1.5K and under. The things you like are over triple that, and I wouldn't expect them to match. I do however feel the MixPres punch well above their weight and there are samples of classical recording that sound fine (API pres going in).

It sounds like you don't like the preamps. Since they are essentially clean and quiet, why not add character that way? I have a UA 610 Solo that travels and the combo sounds great and does vintage very well FWIW (not for classical tho!).....
Old 3 days ago
AB3
Lives for gear

Getting almost back to to the title of this thread.
I have the HS-p82. Sounds great.
But it is a little bulky.
I am considering going for the sonosax SX-R4+
Better pres - but that much better?

And to the title topic of this thread - I do find the pres on the Tascam HS-p82 as being a little sweeter than the Sound Device pres I have tried.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
And here those same measurements, but made with the 788T. Clearly the Tascam is no slouch.
I must be misreading these graphs, or else I'm amazed no-one else commented on this - the 788 has a 10dB boost a little over 10k? That's wild.

I would've assumed the frequency response on all modern digital recorders was much, much closer to flat. It's been a while since I was recorder shopping, but every time I've looked, I've found specs that were pretty flat. I was expecting something more like 20-20k, +1/-2dB.

And a few posts later, the specs for the zoom recorder are also not even remotely flat. Is this more common than I think? Is this common in music recorders, or is it only because these products are primarily marketed for TV/film sound?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeowulf17 View Post
I must be misreading these graphs
Yes, you are.

788T graph is THD+N; F8 graph is crosstalk - see titles.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinknot View Post
Yes, you are.

788T graph is THD+N; F8 graph is crosstalk - see titles.
Ha!

Alright, well I'm quite embarrassed, but also relieved that the specs aren't as wonky as I'd feared.

Thanks for the explanation.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search