The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all... Condenser Microphones
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

It's been a few months, so here's a post to get this thread going again.

I've re-kindled my love for mid side micing of piano after more than two years of die hard AB omnis.

I was recording a sax/piano on location at the home church of a lovely Bosendorfer Imperial Grand, and in the last twenty minutes of our booked time, it became clear that the saxophonist's chops were straight worn out after playing for several hours straight. So to squeeze the most out of our time, we decided to record one last piece on the piano, sans sax, and plan to overdub it at some time in the future.

I was using a Mid/Side pair of 414XLII, and the piano was sounding a little light because of it's placement in this church. They had a bit of an orchestral pit below the coir loft for the piano, and I wasn't getting the reflections off the floor from the soundboard. So I added a cascade fathead over the hammers.

Since this one last piece would be overdubbed, it was obviously going to take on a bit more of a studio sound, and the performers are actually wanting a mixture of studio and more classical sounds on their project anyway. So I moved the main Mid Side pair closer to the instrument, and thus re-kindled my love for this technique on piano.

Thoughts welcome.

414XLII mid side
Cascade Fathead +cloudlifter ~2ft over middle C, aiming 45 degrees toward the bottom 5 (yes, FIVE) octaves. This was a 96 key piano, although the lowest octave was never played since it was a bit out of tune. The sympathetic vibrations give it some serious mojo though.

And believe it or not..... all recorded with a Presonus StudioLive 24 to PT10.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-img_2078.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-img_2084.jpg  
Attached Files

Piano only.mp3 (6.01 MB, 1540 views)

Old 8th September 2012
Here for the gear

Seems like it's been a minute or two since this thread was last updated. Figured I'd toss in my $.02 and see if we can get this going again. Personally I love seeing the various kits and rigs out there (we are gear slutz after all right?) so in my humble way thought I'd put a few pics of my own up.

Apologies for some of the images (I'm an audio engineer not a photographer).

First one is a session we did with Harris and the Mood at the WBEZ terrace at Navy Pier in Chicago. Second image is another great Chicago group, Jenny Dragon, filmed above an artists loft in the Pilsen neighborhood.

Anyone wants any further details or audio clips just hit me up and I'll be happy to post.

- Rooftop Sessions
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-harris-mood-wbez-terrace.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-jenny-dragon.jpg  
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

A few shots from a festival i have just got back from working. I was planning on multitracking the bands from FOH but in the end it just turned into far too much effort for no extra reward. I figure doing FOH and Monitors for 3 days was enough work. Sorry its not actually a recording rig, just wanted to share
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-148868_4246562315188_1302093698_n.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-480927_4246566155284_395667202_n.jpg  
Old 3rd October 2012
Show(off) and tell you say?

Here's a quick n dirty 2 mic recording of a gig I played for school last week.

2 AKG c460b, ck61 caps, straight into a battery-fed MR1000. One placed in front of the horn section, the other by the rhythm section. My version of the "pocket" recorder

Small, low ceiling'd, carpeted, dingy jazz club.

Amazing what a touch of A&H Mixwiz built-in verb and some Avalon compression can do.

Dig that lead/solo trumpet! I wonder who that is....?

thanks for listening
Attached Files

Latin Jazz GS Clip.m4a (1.73 MB, 1143 views)

Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

A barn in Alberta canada we used for a reverb/delay tank
Perfect for vocals, terrible for snare
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-barn.jpg  
Old 31st January 2013
Super Moderator

It's great to see the "Show & Tell" thread reactivated!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

What I love doing... and what I really don't mind doing for a living.

Bass Auditorium's Stein Hall at Greenville, MS, with Marilyn Shields-Wiltsie and the Delta Symphony. (1) Mics are MKH8040 in ORTF on the same bar as Gefell M296 in 40cm AB. The final mix was about 60% M296. (2) Rehearsal. With the exception of the noisy HVAC, the client was very happy... (3) My little world, at the back of house right. DAV BG8 over a Apogee Ensemble DAW front-end. Tascam CD recorder (immediate 2-mix) fed from the Ensemble SPDIF, used to live under the Ensemble, until the heat caused it to shut down during rehearsal. It now lives in its own air-conditioned basement... HD24 for backup, fed from the Ensemble's analog outs. MacBookPro, OWC HDD, Teac 4" status monitors. Not seen: Ultrasone Pro650 cans.

(4)(5) Two days later, at Naples, FL... my "typical" AV gig. 6.5K short-throw Sanyo projector, Roland V440HD video switcher, PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2, Sennheiser RF, Beta 87A on the lectern, RCF ART322A loudspeakers. This was a printing industry symposium.

(6) The "new" rack...at a small jazz duo thing at Steinway Gallery in NashVegas. Power, BG8, Ensemble, Tascam, all separated by 1U grills.

So it goes...

...but it beats working for a living.

HB
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-dscf5488.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-dscf5493.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-dscf5500.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-dscf5559.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-dscf5780.jpg  

The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-dscf5855.jpg  
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotaudio View Post
But doesn't the horse colour the sound of the reverb?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotaudio View Post
You should make an IR of that room?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
I was recording a sax/piano on location at the home church of a lovely Bosendorfer Imperial Grand... I was using a Mid/Side pair of 414XLII, and the piano was sounding a little light because of it's placement in this church. They had a bit of an orchestral pit below the coir loft for the piano, and I wasn't getting the reflections off the floor from the soundboard. So I added a cascade fathead over the hammers...Thoughts welcome...And believe it or not..... all recorded with a Presonus StudioLive 24 to PT10.
Brentwood United Methodist...? I used to record some of their choir events in there, with video, back in my Hi-8 days (and several music ministers ago)... what I do remember is that it is a really squirrely acoustic, with all the sources off-center to the room. Makes for interesting "stereo"... especially from the camera's perspective.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Brentwood United Methodist...? I used to record some of their choir events in there, with video, back in my Hi-8 days (and several music ministers ago)... what I do remember is that it is a really squirrely acoustic, with all the sources off-center to the room. Makes for interesting "stereo"... especially from the camera's perspective.
Yessir. It's not the best layout, for sure. The artist was hunting pianos first, room second... and this piano made everyone swoon when you're in the player's seat or standing in the crook, but it sure was tricky to get it to disk and make everyone happy though. Squirrely is a good way to put it. There's a permanent kneeling rail right in the spot where I wanted to put my mics. Of course, the lowest extra octave wasn't in tune, so you won't find those notes on this recording. 414's and a SL24 are probably my last choices for this type of recording, but I still wanted to give it a test drive. Kind of noisy for classical, unfortunately. I do like the tone though.
Old 5th July 2013
Gear Head

Well, I've been lurking around these forums for the past 5-6 years without posting much, but figure I have some good recordings to share so why not post them here.

A little backstory, I officially started a remote/location recording company (PureTone Recording) back in 2011. We don't have the best or fanciest gear, but we make do with what we do have. I thought I had found a good niche in my area, recording small to mid level sized venues (mostly rock, electro rock, jamtronica, funk, blues). We're capable of splitting and capturing 24 channels of audio and I have to tell you, I've been very pleased with the quality we've been able to achieve in what are often pretty dismal looking venues/bars/restaurants.

The first year of business was pretty good, but the past couple of years have been pretty rough. I went through some dark periods as a result, but my entire mindset has changed recently. I'm no longer trying to do this as a full time gig (there just doesn't seem to be enough people willing to pay what I feel my time is worth). Instead, I'm reminded why I got into multi-tracking live music in the first place.

I record and mix music for myself. It's the way I prefer to listen to music, period. I really enjoy going out to a show and tracking music, but the magic happens once I come home and play back the raw tracks. I get this tingling sensation, I don't know what you would call it. Something similar to waking up on Christmas morning. It's a feeling unlike anything I've ever experienced before. I think it's hearing the potential of the recording and at the same time the eagerness of wanting to share the mix to be with the rest of the world (and however many that might end of being doesn't really matter).

Anyway, without getting too side tracked (I'm probably preaching to the choir here), below are some tracks from a small, last minute gig at a Beglian Beer bar/Vietnamese restaurant called Mekong. The group, Mekong Xpress, consists of various members from bands around the Richmond, VA area. Here's a description from their facebook page:

Quote:
MEKONG XPRESS is a musical collaboration between members of MODERN GROOVE SYNDICATE, FORMER CHAMPIONS, THE BIG PAYBACK :A Tribute to James Brown, THE NEW BELGIANS, BEAST WELLINGTON, & the DJ WILLIAMS PROJEKT. It is a well balanced brew of Soul, Rock, Singer/Songwriter, & Electronica. They also have a strong penchant for Vietnamese food & Belgian Beer.
I work a lot with the Former Champions and have been wanting to capture a live performance of this side project for some time. It's a very low key show and often features numerous guest musicians from other RVA bands. Like I said, it was a last minute gig so I didn't have much more than a half hour to setup. I split the PA and threw up my own lines on the instruments. Luckily, the drumkit was pretty minimal, just a kick, snare, hi-hat, and two cymbals. In addition there were three guitarists, a keyboardist, bassist, and 4 vocal microphones (including one for the drummer).

Technical Aspects:
Drumkit (mono)
  • Kick - Shure Beta 52A
  • Snare top - Shure SM57
  • Snare bottom (2nd set only) - Oktava mk012*
  • OH - Oktava mk012*
Guitar Amps (3)
  • SM57's, two on axis, one off
Bass Amp
  • direct out
  • SM7B (2nd set only)
Vocals
  • SM58
  • three unknowns (split from PA), probably pretty cheap SM58 knockoffs.
Keys
  • direct
Recorder & Preamps
  • Steinberg MR816x (x2)
  • Sony Vaio SZ230P (old laptop)
*modified by Michael Joly
Here are some tracks from that night (fairly quick mixes, but some have had more work than others). The recording has a really cool old school vibe going on. I hope you enjoy them.
Mekong Xpress - "Face" (Former Champions) live @ Mekong 2013-06-24

Mekong Xpress - "Six Blade Knife" (Dire Straits) live @ Mekong 2013-06-24

Mekong Xpress - "Born to Wander" (Rare Earth) live @ Mekong 2013-06-24

Mekong Xpress - "So Much Trouble In My Mind" (Sir Joe Quarterman) live @ Mekong 2013-06-24*

Mekong Xpress - "Jealous Guy" (John Lennon) live @ Mekong 2013-06-24

Mekong Xpress - "?" live @ Mekong 2013-06-24
PS - I didn't take any photos of my recording rig (I'll be sure to do that next time. I'll probably record them again this coming Monday), but here are some of the band and venue.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-mekong-xpress-mekong-restaurant.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-mekong-todd-radio-rubber-room.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-mekong-xpress-mekong-3-wolf-.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-mekong-xpress-mekong-2.jpg  
Old 5th July 2013
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing your world with us, Mitch.

You are now officially welcomed to the "Remote Possibilities..." forum!
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm digging six blade knife.
Dang. Replying to this thread stopped playback. Headed right back after I submit!
Old 6th July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Thanks for sharing your world with us, Mitch.

You are now officially welcomed to the "Remote Possibilities..." forum!
Thanks Steve. You've definitely been an inspiration to me and my adventures in live recording. One of these days I want to see Elroy in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
I'm digging six blade knife.
Dang. Replying to this thread stopped playback. Headed right back after I submit!
Yeah I really dug that tune too. The vocals really took to some stereo/HAAS imaging and a bit of delay. The performance kind of comes apart a little bit at the end there, but then again a lot of these guys are formally trained VCU Jazz musicians, so perhaps it's just some sort of free form jazz playing that I know nothing about .

There are definitely some technical aspects I'd like to improve on with the next recording of this group. Hi-hat bleed on the drummer's vocal mic and snare is my biggest complaint. It gets kind of harsh at some points, but he's a really fun and energetic drummer (constantly ghost noting on some tracks where it feels like he's dancing on the snare, I love it) so I think I'm just going to have to deal with it and work on angling the mic better.

The main issue with the vocal mic bleed is that the drummer sings lead and backup on the majority of the songs, so it's a constant battle of either heavy gating, manually editing, or leaving the track up and trying a multi-comp or eq'ing some harshness out without taking away the presence in the vocal. Each method has is benefits and drawbacks, and some work better on certain tracks than others.

Also one of the guitarists' amps had an insane amount of buzz (exacerbated by the venue's power supply). That's been an annoyance, but some of it kind of adds to the retro feel of the recording. I did manually remove a lot of it and used some restoration plugins to help in some spots (but those have some nasty artifacts when pushed hard).

Performance wise, some tracks are a bit sloppy, but not too bad for five guys that never rehearse together. It's a really relaxed, fun way to spend a Monday night (free music, good food, good company, and GREAT beer). I plan on using this event to experiment with some different recording and mixing techniques (this was my first time going with mono drums, thought I'd miss the stereo spread, but not really). I'll probably end up calling it the "Mekong Sessions".

So hopefully I'll be participating more in these forums. I have a bunch of stuff to share and wouldn't mind getting feed back here and there (of course I'll provide my own feedback to others as well). I welcome any comments, both positive and negative. You tend to learn more from what you did wrong than what you did right, and I feel there's always room for improvement (and never one correct way to mix a song). Okay, I'm rambling again. Thanks for the welcome guys, I look forward being around more often.
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

Mitch... give a tight patterned mic like a Audix OM2 a shot, for your drummer. It had helped me out several times in similar environs. Might be enough...

HB
Old 6th January 2015
Here for the gear

New Remote Truck Project

Okay for well over Twenty years now I have dreamed of building a remote truck.
The Time is finally here.

I see no one has posted here in a while so
just thought I might post some before pics of the truck, before the mayhem begins. Hopefully the after pics will be an improvement.
I will keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-sweet-spot-rec-truck-1.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-sweet-spot-rec-truck-2.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-sweet-spot-rec-truck-3.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-sweet-spot-rec-truck-4.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-sweet-spot-rec-truck-5.jpg  

Old 7th January 2015
Super Moderator

Welcome to the "Remote Possibilities..." forum.
I love what you're about to get into!
More power to you my dear.

I shall indeed reply to your PM very soon.
Just got back in the office from a long day and need to catch up on a few things.

Talk to you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetspotaudio View Post

just thought I might post some before pics of the truck, before the mayhem begins. Hopefully the after pics will be an improvement.
I will keep you posted.
Old 7th January 2015
Here for the gear

New Remote Truck Project

Quote:
Welcome to the "Remote Possibilities..." forum.
I love what you're about to get into!
More power to you my dear.

I shall indeed reply to your PM very soon.
Just got back in the office from a long day and need to catch up on a few things.

Talk to you soon!
WOW! Thanks for the encouraging response Steve!
Everyone around here just looks at me like I am a nut case!
I look forward to your response from my PM. In the meantime get some rest and when your ready give me a shout!

Thanks again!
Beth
Old 7th January 2015
Super Moderator

Well, I had no encouraging response either when I built my first truck at the tender age of eighteen.

Everyone including my folks thought I was nuts building a studio in a truck.
Perhaps, they were right about the "nuts' part, but clearly not about the "studio in a truck" part.

I've learned a lot from building my own trucks.

Looking forward to our PM discussions.

May the new year bring to you all things that make you smile.

Quote:
I look forward to your response from my PM. In the meantime get some rest and when your ready give me a shout!

Thanks again!
Beth
Old 12th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:

I will keep you posted.
Was that truck originally a custom build for the racing team? Looks like it'll be a great size to have space for storage and/or a live area like Remotenesss' truck.

Are you documenting the build anywhere? I'd love to be involved in such a build one day, i'll have to keep my eyes out for someone that needs help over here... or do one myself!
Old 12th January 2015
Super Moderator

I sent you an PM, but haven't heard back.
PM me when you come up for air.

Quote:

Thanks again!
Beth
Old 13th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by desun View Post
Was that truck originally a custom build for the racing team? Looks like it'll be a great size to have space for storage and/or a live area like Remotenesss' truck.

Are you documenting the build anywhere? I'd love to be involved in such a build one day, i'll have to keep my eyes out for someone that needs help over here... or do one myself!
Hi Desun,

Yes the truck was used for a father and son dirt bike racing team.
They had the truck custom built in Canada in 2005.
And Yes,the truck has plenty of storage with the belly boxes.
It had a kitchenette which I already tore out, and it also has a bathroom with a shower. I am trying to decide if i should keep that or not.
It might be nice to have a bathroom.

I will document the build out, if it is of interest perhaps i could do it here on this forum???
Old 13th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
I sent you an PM, but haven't heard back.
PM me when you come up for air.
Hi Steve,

I sent you an email with the details.

Thanks again!
Beth
Old 7th February 2015
Concert report

Recorded a terrific concert tonight by the University of Illinois Symphony Orchestra. I'll give some details and pictures:

Mains: schoeps mk2s spaced 3'
Outriggers: schoeps mk21
WW spots: schoeps mk22 arranged around a DIN/NOSish placement (wasn't too rigid about it)
Tymp and Horn Spots: Mercenary KM69's
Harp and Contrabass spots: schoeps mk22

Tracked through Buzz audio and True Systems preamps, to HD24XR for backup and conversion and the ADATed into Sequoia.

Some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-image_1993.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-image_4482.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-image_6759.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-image_9448.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-image_6357.jpg  

Last edited by king2070lplaya; 8th February 2015 at 06:28 PM..
Old 18th March 2015
Last night I had the pleasure of recording a recital featuring brilliant saxophonist Clark Gibson, performing much of "Charlie Parker with Strings".

When he contacted me about the gig, he said he wanted the sound to be close to the original... Well, this was originally recorded in 1949 by Bob Fine with a single Altec 639 ribbon mic, and I wasn't really comfortable going in that direction (!)

So my approach was to think "what if this had been recorded 10 years later by RVG or at Columbia 30th St"? That way I get the appropriate vintage flavor, but in stereo. I used my pair of Schoeps CMMT30 over the strings (2/2/2/1) with Shadow Hills Mono Gamma on "Steel" setting, and this ended up forming the bulk of the mix. I put spots on the oboe, horn, cello, harp, and did my best to get old-school sounds on the kit (Bock 251, Beyer m88), bass (Shure 353), and piano, where I mono panned an XY pair of DPA 4011 through API and got a surprisingly good RVG piano impression. The sax was spotted with a single R84 through a UA Solo 610 amp.

In keeping with the spirit of the original record, I also set up a main ribbon mic, another R84, with an MkH30 behind it to generate some MS width. The sound was nice with the combo, but it sounded too... Good? Hi-Fi? I just couldn't get close enough to the group while retaining a good balance to imitate the original records close-in sound. So in the mix, I am using this pair as the glue for a more spot-based mixing approach.

I will add some clips when I have the mixes together.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-image_3568_0.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-image_3525_0.jpg  

Last edited by king2070lplaya; 18th March 2015 at 11:54 PM..
Old 30th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
Well? heh

We want to hear it!
Old 2nd June 2015
Quote:
Last night I had the pleasure of recording a recital featuring brilliant saxophonist Clark Gibson, performing much of "Charlie Parker with Strings".

When he contacted me about the gig, he said he wanted the sound to be close to the original... Well, this was originally recorded in 1949 by Bob Fine with a single Altec 639 ribbon mic, and I wasn't really comfortable going in that direction (!)

So my approach was to think "what if this had been recorded 10 years later by RVG or at Columbia 30th St"? That way I get the appropriate vintage flavor, but in stereo. I used my pair of Schoeps CMMT30 over the strings (2/2/2/1) with Shadow Hills Mono Gamma on "Steel" setting, and this ended up forming the bulk of the mix. I put spots on the oboe, horn, cello, harp, and did my best to get old-school sounds on the kit (Bock 251, Beyer m88), bass (Shure 353), and piano, where I mono panned an XY pair of DPA 4011 through API and got a surprisingly good RVG piano impression. The sax was spotted with a single R84 through a UA Solo 610 amp.

In keeping with the spirit of the original record, I also set up a main ribbon mic, another R84, with an MkH30 behind it to generate some MS width. The sound was nice with the combo, but it sounded too... Good? Hi-Fi? I just couldn't get close enough to the group while retaining a good balance to imitate the original records close-in sound. So in the mix, I am using this pair as the glue for a more spot-based mixing approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u47u67u87 View Post
Well? heh

We want to hear it!
Ask and ye shall receive.

Here's "Just Friends".

Next month we will be tracking the bulk of the charts written for these sessions that were never recorded by Parker, for an upcoming album. Very exciting stuff!
Attached Files

Just Friends GS Sample.m4a (8.44 MB, 658 views)

Last edited by king2070lplaya; 2nd June 2015 at 07:02 AM..
Old 3rd June 2015
Quote:

Here's "Just Friends".

Next month we will be tracking the bulk of the charts written for these sessions that were never recorded by Parker, for an upcoming album. Very exciting stuff!
Maybe you should have sticked with that altec ribbon, man. heh

Sounds awesome! Wow!

I love the balance overall, but one thing I'd personally do is turn down the drums (by less than -0.6dB) and turn up the sax (by less than +0.6dB), just for my taste. That way the drums would be roomier and the sax would be more upfront.

Other than that, it's fantastic! Great job! Can't wait to hear what's coming next.

u47u67u87
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here's "Just Friends".

Shazam! Nicely done! When's the album being released, what formats, and how can I buy a copy?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search