The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

That really is just nuts...

Do you ever surplus any of that gear??
Old 29th December 2008
Super Moderator

Can you explain what "surplus" means??? heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
That really is just nuts...

Do you ever surplus any of that gear??
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Something I picked up working at a college...

Basically, something is unused or out-of-date, so they sell it at a really cheap price at regional auction houses. Perhaps you've heard of NASA auctioning parts of some of the old Saturn rockets and lunar landers?? They surplus a lot of old gear from that era!
Old 29th December 2008
Super Moderator

I hear you my man, I was being facetious.

Just a little "tongue and cheek" from the guy that only knows how to buy.
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Oh, ha, gotcha heh
Old 29th December 2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, ha, gotcha heh
Hey, but what about those NASA parts?

I'm thinking of (perhaps) some Saturn rockets or a lunar lander or two.

Now, that's as remote as you can get for a mobile unit.

Insert laughter here > _______________ <
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Here are a few close up shots of some of our (silver road case) racks for your review...

Some SKB cases made it on to the list.

Mic Pres:
API

Mic Pre/EQs:
ATI; Midas; Sheps; Focusrite; Daking

EQs:
Klark Teknik; Lang, API, Focusrite

Compressor/Limiters:
Focusrite; Summit; Crane Song; DBX

FX Processors and such:
Publison; Klark Teknik; Dynacord; Lexicon; Sony; Kurzweil; TC Electronics; Yamaha; Eventide

Line & Matrix Mixers:
Crane Song; Millenia Media; Midas; Roland

Recorders:
Alesis; Tascam; Sony; Pioneer

Steve-

It is a shame that you're missing the essentials that it takes to get the job done...

--Ben
Old 29th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Yeah, he probably has to work extra hard since his tool kit is lacking...

Steve, how ya like them Trakkers? I'm hot for a pair.

Peace,

Lance
Old 29th December 2008
Super Moderator

I love my Trakkers.
They are extremely versatile.
Many emulation flavors to pick from.
You cannot go wrong with a pair of those puppies.
Old 19th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfarber View Post
I did a big band session the other day....

Otherwise, this thing was done old school. I'll post some mixes later.

Kaufman Astoria Music & Sound,
Did you ever post any mixes of this session? It would be cool to check them out!
Old 19th January 2009
I was just wondering the same thing.
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

Okay, I guess I forgot to do this. This is just a rough mix. There is no vocal on here yet.

It is suppose to be a swinging version of Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely".

The bit where you don't hear a melody or a solo is where the singer will be.
Attached Files

ISN'T SHE LOVELY_TAKE3.mp3 (5.07 MB, 912 views)

Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Hello,

Here are some updated pictures of our new mobile unit, Denali Video.

Here's a temp link to the gear -
SUMMIT Audio

Hugh Healy
Denali Video
Attached Thumbnails
The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-audio-l-rear.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-audio-r-rear.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-audio-right.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cr-l-rear.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cr-r-rear-2.jpg  

Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, I guess I forgot to do this. This is just a rough mix. There is no vocal on here yet.

It is suppose to be a swinging version of Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely".

The bit where you don't hear a melody or a solo is where the singer will be.
Well Mr. Bove, you asked me to post this stuff, here it is.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Very cool, sounds great! Thanks for posting the follow up!

The arrangement works great... simple and classy.

The band sounds great too!

I've wondered what that room could sound like, and it sounds like you can do nice work in there. What kind of verb was used?

On first listen, the brass and reeds seem to be very far apart in the stereo image, but I think this will all come together with the singer in the middle of the picture.

Let us know when the finished product is out, it would be cool to check out the finished version someday!
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

HughH, how is that a mobile unit, that CR looks Huuuuuge.
Old 5th February 2009
Super Moderator

Expanding walls extend the CRM area once the vehicle is parked and ready to be operated.

Most trucks have manual cranked expandable walls.
Some have hydraulically operated expanding walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha View Post
HughH, how is that a mobile unit, that CR looks Huuuuuge.
Old 7th March 2009
Post Big Band Gig Report with Pics and Clips

Quote:
I did a big band session the other day...
I ran a session today with a student-led big band. It was in the band rehearsal room and the set-up was modeled after Andy's gig report:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...all-6.html#170

I had the group divided into sections, and each took a side of the square. The trombones, trumpets, and saxes were put in pairs - two players to a mic - with the exception of the bari sax who got his own. Here's the run-down:

4 Trombones on 2 AT4033s, one later replaced with NT5
4 Trumpets on 2 AT4040s
4 Saxes on 2 AT4050s, one later replaced with NT5
Bari Sax on CAD KBM 412 (closest thing I have to an RE20 probably)
Drum Overhead: CROWN SASS into Aphex 107
Kick and Snare: KBM 412 and Nady SP5 into Aphex 107
Keyboad: Stereo DI
Bass: DI from Sans Amp Mini into ISA 220
Guitar: SP5
Room: Schoeps CMTS 501 in Blumlein M/S through Great River MP-2M

My largest session to date, I was running 17 channels of 24/44.1 through a Focusrite Saffire 26 i/o, Focusrite Octopre LE via ADAT, and ISA 220 via SPDIF - all synced to an AardSync via BNC. All audio recorded directly into SONAR. Sorry, no second rig. I'm thankful to be able to handle this much right now, though I look forward to making more money and getting discontent...

My initial thoughts:

1) After soloing the baritone sax my thought was "man that mic sounds bad on the bari!" Then I went and hung out next to the player and realized I've just never listened real closely to a baritone sax. Significantly less oomph and a lot more fart than I realized. The mic was accurate, so I kept it.
2) Room mic = awesome idea. It helps so much.
3) Weird things happen when you've got a ton of stuff set-up. Both an AT4050 and an AT4033 started acting up. The 4050 dropped out altogether and the 4033 was coming in and out. I replaced them with NT5s during the session (after also attempted switching cables), retracked one of the songs, and everything was fine. At the end of the night, I tested the mics, and they worked no problem.
4) Rode NT5s have hot outputs relative to other mics.
5) Pizza break in the middle of a session = awesome idea.
6) If only recorded loud music like this (instead of super-quiet live concerts most of the time), I'd probably spend more money on microphones and less money on preamps. It's nice not to have to worry so much about the noise floor.

I've posted a clip after five minutes of mixing so you can get a general idea of what I'm working with. I hope you like Chicago. As I work on it more, I'll be leaning towards an in-your-face sound that I know that band is going for.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cba_24441.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cba_24444.jpg  
Attached Files

BigBand_GS_Sample.mp3 (1.10 MB, 884 views)

Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse
1) After soloing the baritone sax my thought was "man that mic sounds bad on the bari!" Then I went and hung out next to the player and realized I've just never listened real closely to a baritone sax. Significantly less oomph and a lot more fart than I realized. The mic was accurate, so I kept it.
I tour as FOH for a ska band and had that same revelation the first few gigs. I went through so many great mics (sm57, 421, re20, now e905) trying to make it sound like something other than a sick duck. I finally learned to polish that turn as much as possible and blend it with the other 3 horns. I also learned that a good quality reed makes all the difference in the world. There would be days where the bari sounded amazing. I would tell the player and it was always a different reed than what he had the previous night and usually the same reed as when I last complimented his tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse
3) Weird things happen when you've got a ton of stuff set-up. Both an AT4050 and an AT4033 started acting up. The 4050 dropped out altogether and the 4033 was coming in and out. I replaced them with NT5s during the session (after also attempted switching cables), retracked one of the songs, and everything was fine. At the end of the night, I tested the mics, and they worked no problem.
Just a thought: Maybe the mic's weren't getting enough voltage. The NT5's probably have a higher tolerance for voltage swing and that could be why you didn't have problems with them.

Sounds like a great gig and I hope it leads to many more. Can't wait to listen to it tomorrow (gotta love apartment living).
Old 7th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
Just a thought: Maybe the mic's weren't getting enough voltage. The NT5's probably have a higher tolerance for voltage swing and that could be why you didn't have problems with them.
That's what it looked like with the 4033. It was coming and going as if phantom power and fading in and out. Maybe I need to give the Octopre some Surge soda (RIP).
Old 7th March 2009
Super Moderator

Yeah, you have to use external phantom power when using mixers or preamps that cannot handle the voltage for multiple condenser mics.

I love M160s or M260s on Bari.
Have you guys tried them yet?
Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

My only issue Norse is the panning. They obviously weren't setup like a traditional jazz band but you could change the panning to make it closer to the right setup.

The brass sounds nice and full - that's my favorite part.

A couple weeks ago I did the honor jazz band for our district. Not the same setup but some similarities. What do you think?
Attached Files

d11_06.mp3 (4.19 MB, 844 views)

Old 7th March 2009
Quote:
My only issue Norse is the panning. They obviously weren't setup like a traditional jazz band but you could change the panning to make it closer to the right setup.
I'll probably be panning them UNLIKE their usual set-up which is trumpets behind horns behind saxes with rhythm on stage right. After playing with some panning, I've found the saxes benefit the most if I if put them and trombones on opposite sides of the stereo field. It helps with separating the musical lines.

The drums sound really nice in your sample, Bryan.
Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

More Big Band.
Here's my first stereo pair recording. This was done outdoors last year and the band was Swing City, a local band that has been playing around here for over 30 years. Most of the members are in their 60s and 70s now but everyone loves them and they get a great turnout.
I did this as a personal experiment not for hire.

LO FI rig was:

2 Samson CO2s in XY > SMpro TB202 stereo comp.
Several Beta 58s placed 1 per section.
ATM 8033 overhead
Beta 52 kick
Bass DI
Vocal Beta 58
10 total tracks

Presonus Digimax
Presonus Firestudio
Macbook running Tracktion 2

It was done at night and the crickets can be heard during the countoff.
Attached Files

Swing City It's Wonderful.mp3 (1,005.5 KB, 899 views)

Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
I'll probably be panning them UNLIKE their usual set-up which is trumpets behind horns behind saxes with rhythm on stage right. After playing with some panning, I've found the saxes benefit the most if I if put them and trombones on opposite sides of the stereo field. It helps with separating the musical lines.

The drums sound really nice in your sample, Bryan.
I guess it's a personal preference thing. I always like hearing it as you would see it.

Thanks - the drums were pretty simple, two Oktava 012s for overhead and a KBM412 on the bass drum. I see you like those mics too - aren't they great? I need to get another. Oh and the congas had an Oktava MK-219 on them.
Old 16th March 2009
Arrow Donizetti's "Elixer of Love" - Live Recording with Video

Recording a county Symphony Orchestra in Northern Virginia performing an unstaged production of Donizetti's "Elixer of Love" with five solo singers and chorus.

The performance was in a high school auditorium. Comcast Cable did a five camera shoot of the performance which will be aired on the local access channel. I provided a live mono audio feed for them to use. Their vehicle is known as "TRUCK NORRIS."

They performed on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, I did a basic recording using an A/B/C array close to the lip of the stage (B=M/S; A & C were "just in case"). Just hit Record and went out to the audience to enjoy the show. I reviewed the recording at night before heading to bed. I'm used to having difficulty hearing solo singers, but because of the acoustics of the hall and the location of the singers out on the lip of the stage, the singers were actually too prominent and I had a hard time hearing the back of the orchestra. The percussion just went straight up and dissappeared in the rafters! Timid playing didn't help either. (Other issues: Dulles Airport, but I can't really reroute ATC and it wasn't very noticable while they were playing anyway...) Also, I found the flankers weren't totally necessary. At some points they were a big help, but there were phase issues at other points.

I order to remedy to above issues, I moved the center mic (Schoeps CMTS 501) back into the audience (fifth row?) and I added a Crown SASS mic behind the orchestra facing out towards to the audience. For the mono feed, the Schoeps was pretty much sufficient, and I ran it through a Focusrite ISA 220 for gentle compression before heading out to the video truck. I left the flankers (AT4050s) where they were, and I might mix them in a bit when the singers move to the extreme side stage. I haven't had a chance to play with the tracks yet, but the live monitoring indicated that the Schoeps mic was in a good place mixwise (that is, if you ignore squeeky audience chairs...).
Attached Thumbnails
The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cba_24553.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cba_24550.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cba_24496.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cba_24549.jpg   The Show &amp; Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-cba_24519.jpg  

Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Since when does high-school performances get picked up by TV stations??

By the way, the media guys at my college would kill for a feed from me on there orchestra broadcasts rather than the awful (AWFUl) house mic sound but they don't pay me so I don't give it to them.
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since when does high-school performances get picked up by TV stations??
You'd be amazed at what they air. Especially if a) you tell them about it and b) you do 95% of the work for them. I mean if spelling bees can make PBS in HD. Along with cheerlieading championships and other niche activities, why not? As long as you do their work for them, they'll air your annual BBQ with enough effort on your part. Some are even glad to help, if it gets them away from the 109th murder of the season and other regular work.
Old 18th March 2009
Just to clarify, it wasn't a high school production, just at a high school.

Many community arts groups use the high schools in Northern Virginia. Once you get outside the beltway, there aren't many other performance spaces to chose from (though I think the GMU hosts some performances...). Down in Williamsburg, churches are the main venues for musical performance.
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

Ah, I see.

Are the acoustics nice? One thing I have not seen is a really nice hall at a high school. At least in this part of the US. When I was in high school we played in the cafeteria . Sounded terrible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search