The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all... Condenser Microphones
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaccess
That is an amazing room! I went to a party there one night while visiting some friends at esalen... unreal...

Is it actually available to hire?

Ryan Hewitt
Is that a stack of car tires behind the piano?

http://www.redshift.com/~cjogo/TUNES...b2480%20VS.jpg
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Yes //nearly 20 high >> with material stuffed inside
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Wow, that stuffed car tyre thing seems like a great idea for absorbers. Especially in a truck it will give a real ON THE ROAD feeling.
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear

Here's where the tires start
Old 5th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobo1
What has Lawrence Manchester been up to? Do you know him? I know him via Peabody Conservatory... he wouldn't know who I am, but he used to come down for recording events and also to give master classes.

Any particular recordings of his that you like?
Manchester was the scoring engineer for the new movie "The Night Listener".

Should be in theatres this August.
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Addict

So not as cool as most of these pics... and very simple

Recording the Lark String Quartet at the National Academy of Science hall in Washington, DC for NPR. I was the assistant on this gig.

The hall sounds like it looks. You can hear everything, everywhere, and it is NOT musical. But it does look neat.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-img_0923.jpg  
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Adventures in Bar-Room Recording

I play guitar and sing in a 3-piece rock'n blues band. Lately, I've been recording our live gigs, the band does 11 orginal songs that I wrote and I'm hoping we'll get a live album together one of these days. Here's a few photos or the recording rig used last Saturday night.

I used three transformer splitter boxes on the vocals. The mics on the guitar cabs are just for the recording rig. The drums are mic'd by a single overhead PZM and a Shure Beta 91 inside the kick. The API preamp is for the drum mics and the Grace preamp is handling all the other mics.

I like recording at this Mexican restaurant bar because the room is big enough that we can really PLAY but we don't need to mic the amps so it's not too loud. It reminds me of living room parties I used to play at in high school. The women all dance right in front of the band.

The big guy is our drummer, Tony.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-splitters4x6.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-mics_cabs.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-pzm.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-rec_rack.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-tony.jpg  

Old 25th January 2007
Super Moderator

Okay, here's something (I bet) most of you remotesters haven't seen...

Tons of DT12 mults, fiber, coaxial and such during breakdown of a multi truck gig we did a while back in 2006...

Pretty wild, huh?
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-aslpgacbs.jpg  
Old 25th January 2007
Super Moderator

Keep in mind most of this cable and stuff were inside the Yellow Jackets...

I took these picture during the start of the breakdown.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-aslpgacbsii.jpg  
Old 19th January 2008
Super Moderator

It's time to "Show & Tell" again!

What do you have for us to see and drool over?

Here's a new picture of the same ol' same old gear.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-wallofaudiogoodness.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobo1 View Post
What has Lawrence Manchester been up to? Do you know him? I know him via Peabody Conservatory... he wouldn't know who I am, but he used to come down for recording events and also to give master classes.

Any particular recordings of his that you like?

Just worked with Manchester again on a film score. We did a string date at Legacy A509 (used to be Right Track)
Old 23rd January 2008
Super Moderator

I love (A509) that room!!
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfarber View Post
BTW, UNION ORCHESTRA! Local 802 AFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I love (A509) that room!!
Definitely!
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

new truck!

Hii all! I'm sure I can share my enthusiasm for our new awesome truck with my fellow remotesters!

The indirect light can be any colour! notice the Adam s3a's painted a matching white..

The router's touch screen and... Daylight!!!

Ghielmetti patchfield and 'lounge area'for producers/A2's/hot random chicks...

The trusty ol' Lawo, 2 waves maxx BCL's, telex intercom, lexi pcm 91, tc m5000, Merging Pyramix..

Huub
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-2310314763_83215d9007_m.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-2310316825_08b88341d5_m.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-2310318653_3ab1e610af_m.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-2311127040_fe1df11cd4_m.jpg  
Old 4th March 2008
Super Moderator

I love the retangular port holes...

Awesome touch.
Is there a website that show's off the truck?

I'm sure we all would love to check it out.
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

The cinevideogroup website has been hopelessly unupdated for a while now, will be a new site soon I hope..

Production area

also production, with adams providing surround monitoring. (light can be red,blue,yellow or any combination :p )
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Our audio pc (for playing music and so on, we'll play jingle type stuff with spot on software b.t.w., SpotOn )
has (well, it hasn't arrived yet) an RME madi card, so I'm planning on running reaper to have a lowbudget back up multitrack solution.. Reaper can use any input as smpte/ebu tc source, and records BWF... Can't wait to see if this works okay, Anyone tried this?
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Just a little bump for my question about reaper and timecode..

Has anyone any experience using reaper for broadcast stuff?

cheers

huub
Old 8th September 2008
Super Moderator

This "Reaper in Broadcasting" discussion is continued via this linkage...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...ultitrack.html
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

I did a big band session the other day. It was in a great room but they only have "modern" mics.

4 trumpets with 2 U87
3 trombones w/ 2 U87
5 saxophones w/ 3 TLM 170
Guitar with some kind of B&K pencil mic
Piano w/ 1 FET47
Bass w/ 1 km84
Drums with 1 mic km86

If I had it my way we'd have RCA 44s for the brass or some other big ribbon like AEA r84 or Coles 4038. I'd rather have tube mics on the saxes like U47/U67/M49 or a modern alternative like Lawson L47

I'd like Schoepps 221b on guitar, piano, bass and drums, or an M49 on the piano and some tube SDC or LDC on the drums.

I'd also like some slutty pre's but all we had were the ones in the desk, an eighteen year old Neve V.

Otherwise, this thing was done old school. I'll post some mixes later.

BTW, we didn't use any headphones except me (the conductor) so I could hear the singer in the iso booth. In the first photo, our lead trumpet player had some cans for a section that he played with the singer, other than that, no cans. You could hear the bass everywhere in that room.

Kaufman Astoria Music & Sound, formerly known as Master Sound Astoria. Great room, great vintage Mason & Hamlin AA.

Alas, Legacy A509 was booked that day.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-img_1660.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-img_1666.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-img_1668-1.jpg  
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

Here's one end of my modest but effective rig for classical music recording for FM broadcast -

My response to the need for all powered gear to be safety checked and certified at least once a year is to have everything battery powered - and it's surprising how liberating it is not to have to spend time hunting for a power socket when arriving on location, and wondering how to route the mic leads and power lead to an acceptable meeting point where the gear can be set up.

Apart from the familiar Edirol R-44 the other item with knobs is a custom built (by Naiant) monitoring mixer which provides dual headphone mix from the four outputs of the R-44, plus a switchable monitoring input from the R-44 headphone out (which provides solo monitoring) or from a backup stereo recorder. The monitor mixer's stereo output is fed to that backup recorder via an output level control. It seems to me that proper monitoring is often overlooked in multichannel recorder design, and I couldn't find a suitable device on the market, so commissioned my own functional design.

The monitor mixer is very light and can be powered by internal or external power.

The pointy end of the rig is a Sennheiser MKH series MS pair (nicely supported by the R-44) and spot mics by AKG, Oktava, Sony, Rode, or Naiant.

I get the four channel recorder, monitor mixer, two backup recorders, ten mics, two pairs of headphones, gaffer tape, battery packs, and sundry accessories all into a modest sized holdall. It's a pity that mic stands and cables are also normally required else my mobile truck could be a bicycle!
Old 9th October 2008
Here for the gear

Recording Vid

Hello,

I had the pleasure of recording a demo session/writer's retreat for a company that plans cruise events.

The artists: Emerson Hart, Aslyn, Pat McGee, Stephen Kellogg, Ryan Newell (guitarist for Sister Hazel) Mike Daly (Producer and former member of Whiskeytown.)

The setup: This was just "to capture whatever happens." So, All Vox thru 58's, Guitars thru DI's and 57's, and the grand piano had a pair of 57s underneath. The house was a very large hunting lodge with multiple rooms for writing. The artists would break into two groups of three, create for a couple of hours, then we would capture the performance, wash, rinse, repeat.

Seven songs in two days...pretty impressive!

The chain: All mics and DI's into a Focusrite Octopre LE, and out to a DBX 1046 or (forgive me) a Beheringer quad comp. From the comps into a Mackie Onyx then thru the master outs to the Mbox Mini. Everything was done as "performance" to two tracks, mainly to eliminate hours of "tweaking." The event was more about the writing than the recording.

A video with a medley of the seven songs is here.

Amazing event, getting to watch the music being created, then captured!
Old 9th October 2008
Super Moderator

Well done Alan.
I love the recording space you folks worked in.
I wish the YouTube video had more technical pictures, but that's the Gearslut in me talking.
Old 9th October 2008
Here for the gear

Steve,

More "slutty" photos for you.

The piano room was a real pain. Tile floor, piano in the corner.... We actually had five open mics in that room (2 piano, 3 vox) at one point. Decided not to open the top as the bottom placement isolated the instrument better.

The performers in the photo are Stephen Kellogg, Ryan Newell and Pat McGee, recording a song called "Peaches." (It's about drinking.)

The monitors are Dynaudio BM5a's. They are my mains for mixing, and were used here just as playback.

The facility is called "The Bluffs." It's a hunting retreat in Augusta, Georgia. Amazing place with the best staff!

We're going back at the end of the month with (hopefully) nine artists this time. Will post better photos then.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-gear-fellas.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-piano-room.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-recording-room.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-writing-room.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-bluffs.jpg  

Old 27th October 2008
Gear Head

Recording @ The Station Inn Nashville....

Snapped these last night @ the historic Station Inn here in Nashville for Mike Farris & The Roseland Rhythm Revue....the RCA 44's are truly fantastic mics...and I also like the fact that the gain knob on the pre is the size of an average door knob....
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-rca-api.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-rca-1.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-rca-close.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-rca-44-2.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-rca-ua.jpg  

The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-rack-back-1026.jpg  
Old 28th October 2008
Super Moderator

Sweet.

I love the vintage gear on the front end of those Alesis HD24s.
Are they HD24s or HD24XRs?
What were you using as a monitor mixer?
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Head

one XR and one standard....in this case, one was just a direct back-up of the other, XR first....I just monitor through a Mackie 24.4 vlz.....great sound w/ those mics in that room into the XR, I really wish they belonged to me!....

here's another front shot...it was cramped where I was setup, thus the bad angles on the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-rack-front-1026.jpg  
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

here is a photo looking up at the little array we have used a few times with an SF12 and a pair of 4006s.
i dont have pictures of the racks but the pres were Avalons and a Buzz SSA going into a 192i/o

on a quick listen of the mics/pres i would of chosen to run the SF12 into Avalons and the 4006s into the Buzz, which later when comparing pres in more detail i found to be the right choice. A nice hall with a hemispherical ceiling at each end which reflects the sound back perfectly. a great sounding recording from a simple setup.

Not the best shot but its hard to get good ones when the mics have to be so high.
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-photo0113.jpg  
Old 28th December 2008
Super Moderator

Silver ATA Roadcase Series

Here are a few close up shots of some of our (silver road case) racks for your review...

Some SKB cases made it on to the list.

Mic Pres:
API

Mic Pre/EQs:
ATI; Midas; Sheps; Focusrite; Daking

EQs:
Klark Teknik; Lang, API, Focusrite

Compressor/Limiters:
Focusrite; Summit; Crane Song; DBX

FX Processors and such:
Publison; Klark Teknik; Dynacord; Lexicon; Sony; Kurzweil; TC Electronics; Yamaha; Eventide

Line & Matrix Mixers:
Crane Song; Millenia Media; Midas; Roland

Recorders:
Alesis; Tascam; Sony; Pioneer
Attached Thumbnails
The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-micpre_4688.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-micpre_4692.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-micpre_4733.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-eq_4744.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-eqcomp_4720.jpg  

The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-fx_4763.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-processor_4727.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-processor_4731.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-processor_4807.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-recorder_4892.jpg  

The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-recorder_4896.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-recorder_4914.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-recorder_4971.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-recorder_5038.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-recorder_5074.jpg  

The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-recorderpres_6255.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-micpre_4741.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-mixer_4791.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-fxmix_4799.jpg   The Show & Tell Thread for the Remotester in us all...-mixer_4798.jpg  

Old 29th December 2008
Oooooo... aaahhhh...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search