The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Best Portable Recording Device for Binaural Ambiences Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

How does the Core Sound TetraMic compare to these mics?
Old 6th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Jecklin or Schneider disk recordings are not binaural recordings. They are stereo recordings done with a baffle.

It's very clear that dummy head recordings are to be played back on headphones. The main revision for the Neumann KU-100 head was a modification that made it possible to playback on loudspeakers. But this is NOT how it was made to be used.

A new way to offer very good binaural recordings is to use the new Sennheiser AMBEO ambisonic mic to record. Then you convert the WXYZ channels to stereo using an ambisonic to binaural plug-in on your daw.
This is really splitting hairs if one is using a head then it is technically binaural but in what one is trying to achieve is a stereo image to the listener with the delay from each side of the "head".

Even with a binaural approach and two small mics there is the assumption that sticking the mic in a piece of foam shaped like a head and with a 6-7 inch spacing is going to produce the best results. Even with the Jecklin disc later research found that the original spacing of 6.5" was not the best and the newer recommendation was a spacing of over 13 inches. Chris Watson has done many recordings with small DPA omin mics attached to an inverted coat hanger which is providing a spacing of 15 inches or close to that of the Jecklin recommendation for the disc.

I can see the value of making a simple mold and cranking out hundreds of foam heads with the visual appeal of the head to sell the idea. But it is a stretch to say this is going to produce the best results or that somehow foam has the same sonic profile as a person's head.
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Hello Carlson,

Not splitting hairs at all. Instead, talking about the basics.

Without using ear pinna and having the mics at the end of the auditory canal, the design does not qualify as a binaural microphone. So baffles, barriers, coat hangers etc. are not allowed to be called binaural mics.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

From the little I know, the more like a real head the better. I have read that adding a wig helps, as does cloth below the "neck" simulating clothing.
Old 7th February 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramallo View Post
I did some test between the Ambeo and the SPS200. IMMO the Ambeo in soundscapes capture can be good for the job (But perform better the SPS200), but not for music (I did the tests with a symphonic orchesta), I found a hughe difference in favour of the SPS200, the SPS200 sounds better, much better.

The big point of Ambeo is the mount of the capsules, one of the closest of the market, this give a great high frequency response, but IMMO the worse point is the capsule quality, isn't a good capsule. I'll love a MKH format A microphone
Orchestra recording, Ambeo and SPS200, format A (Not good place for do the recording but in the same position)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...jEwcE9hSGtod1U

Last edited by ramallo; 7th February 2017 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: link
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Hello Ramallo,

I cannot judge anything about the sounds you posted because the mics are in the wrong place. Not a good demonstration at all.

Here AMBEO sounds fantastic in my set up. Something is wrong with what you are doing.

These kind of posts are not helpful. I do not agree with your conclusions.
Old 8th February 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Hello Ramallo,

I cannot judge anything about the sounds you posted because the mics are in the wrong place. Not a good demonstration at all.

Here AMBEO sounds fantastic in my set up. Something is wrong with what you are doing.

These kind of posts are not helpful. I do not agree with your conclusions.
I'm compared in the "same position" "same source" the two mics with the same preamp (DAD AX32), the results are more than eloquent for me.

In my setup, DAD AX32 or Aeta 4Minx the ambeo doesn't sound fantastic compared with a SPS200

Of course, you don't need to agree with my conclusions.

Cheers
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

No. The music is garbage and the balance is garbage. Don't try to act like this is a valid test.

I hear a high fidelity sound here when I use AMBEO.
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Addict

I am very curious to hear results from the Ambeo. I get satisfying results from my sps200, but only after having it calibrated by coresound. The tonal balance and imaging improved enormously.
In theory the close capsules of the Ambeo could be an improvement, but if the capsules themselves proof inferior to the mbho capsules of the sps200, the result might be even less good sounding.

Has anyone done a calibration to the Ambeo?
Old 22nd February 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
No. The music is garbage and the balance is garbage. Don't try to act like this is a valid test.

The microphones was used for do a test, in a public representation in front of the conductor and low 1,2m (Close to the strings). Wasn't the best auditorium wasn't the best position, but both had the same source.

This isn't about about the recording, is just a test with the same stimulous, sorry

Both tracks are in A format

I had doubts about the fidelity of the Ambeo (This is the reason of the tests), shares the same capsules as (And sound similar): https://en-us.sennheiser.com/recordi...rcussion-e-914

Best Regards
Old 23rd February 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
I am very curious to hear results from the Ambeo. I get satisfying results from my sps200, but only after having it calibrated by coresound. The tonal balance and imaging improved enormously.
In theory the close capsules of the Ambeo could be an improvement, but if the capsules themselves proof inferior to the mbho capsules of the sps200, the result might be even less good sounding.

Has anyone done a calibration to the Ambeo?
Have a close capsules are better, probably the Ambeo are one of the closest. But have a poor capsules (KE14). IMMO this make the ambeo work nice with ambiences (Close capsules), but poor with music or any complex sound (Capsules), just my opinion.

The MBHO are a great capsules, I measured the capsules of my SPS200 and are flat and matched (I did a little correction for my mic in my DAW) (The recording is without). But the capsules are far apart, this isn't good for a nice high frequency
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramallo View Post
Have a close capsules are better, probably the Ambeo are one of the closest. But have a poor capsules (KE14). IMMO this make the ambeo work nice with ambiences (Close capsules), but poor with music or any complex sound (Capsules), just my opinion.

The MBHO are a great capsules, I measured the capsules of my SPS200 and are flat and matched (I did a little correction for my mic in my DAW) (The recording is without). But the capsules are far apart, this isn't good for a nice high frequency
Hi Ramallo,

Having the SPS200 calibrated by coresound makes a great difference. I f you are interested, you can send me one of your format A recordings with the SPS200 and then I can send you the B-format back... Just PM me when you would like to hear the difference...
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

LOL you really tell it how it is - you never hold back. Your arrogance always gets to me but very often you are right though not always. On this occasion I definitely agree.
Old 26th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Finally..an affordable dummy head ! Even if it were devoid of any mics whatsoever.... a bargain.

The Schoeps KFM-6 and Neumann KU100...both $8000 (and I don't care what mics and electronics they come assembled with)
Not to bring up an old thread but any updates on the how the B1-E Dummy worked out for people who have it? Strongly considering getting one for live recordings and would love any feedback- thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:

Any comparative test is a valid test. If one is only used to absolute quality tests working with good quality set-ups, one may find it harder to adjust their judgement criteria for a comparison test working with poorer quality, that's all.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search