The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why does video editing software suck so deeply? DAW Software
Old 2 weeks ago
  #241
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Are you one Windows 10 ? Resolve sometimes works on Win7 but strange things might happen ...
That's an important point -- Resolve can be very flaky on Windows 7; it's only supported on Windows 10.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #242
Lives for gear
 

Thanks Bradh and Yannick. On W10 1809 here. Probably operator error, but I cannot find it. Very frustrating.

The rest of Resolve is great, now that I am on ProRes VLog files out of the Ninja Inferno.
Old 6 days ago
  #243
Lives for gear
 

Your honour, I rest my case.
Quote:
If you render in Individual Source Clip mode, you will get the source file embedded audio, if any, and/or audio that you have synced to the source files on the Media page. You will NOT get the audio you have on the Edit page timeline unless you render in Single Clip mode.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Last edited by David Spearritt; 5 days ago at 09:51 AM..
Old 5 days ago
  #244
Same as previous posters - I render out with separate audio from the timeline nearly every time.
Why are you using 'Individual Source Clip' mode?
You typically would render out the entire timeline, or as single clips, in both cases the audio comes from the timeline mix out, and you can either mute original audio for each clip or separate and remove that original audio completely.
Old 5 days ago
  #245
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Why are you using 'Individual Source Clip' mode?
Its not "Individual Source Clip" mode, these are the words from the support engineers mind. The words in the actual program Render interface are "Individual Clips", which makes sense when you have a concert with 4 performance pieces and you want one video per clip.

Quote:
You typically would render out the entire timeline, or as single clips, in both cases the audio comes from the timeline mix out, and you can either mute original audio for each clip or separate and remove that original audio completely.
And it doesn't work.
Old 5 days ago
  #246
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Its not "Individual Source Clip" mode, these are the words from the support engineers mind. The words in the actual program Render interface are "Individual Clips", which makes sense when you have a concert with 4 performance pieces and you want one video per clip.
It looks like they forgot to update the manual when they changed that render option's name to just "Individual Clips" from "Individual Source Clips."

But ticking that option still renders individual source clips. You would mainly use that option if you're exporting an XML file to another NLE. Search through the manual for "individual source clips" and you'll see all the use cases for it; they are specialized.

To render just a selected portion of your timeline, you use the timeline in the Render page to select just the clips you want to render, and you can also use the Clips filter (up near the top left of the Render page) to prefilter your render timeline.
Old 5 days ago
  #247
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
But ticking that option still renders individual source clips. You would mainly use that option if you're exporting an XML file to another NLE. Search through the manual for "individual source clips" and you'll see all the use cases for it; they are specialized.

To render just a selected portion of your timeline, you use the timeline in the Render page to select just the clips you want to render, and you can also use the Clips filter (up near the top left of the Render page) to prefilter your render timeline.
But I want to render my entire timeline, but to separate videos for each clip/musical piece. Not an uncommon or unusual request. The only way to get the separate audio to render correctly was to set In Out markers on each clip in turn, select Render In Out and add all the separate clips to the render queue.

I just don't understand that if the timeline plays correctly, why one cannot render same. Choosing to render "Entire Timeline" and "Individual Clips" showed so much promise.
Old 5 days ago
  #248
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
But I want to render my entire timeline, but to separate videos for each clip/musical piece. Not an uncommon or unusual request. The only way to get the separate audio to render correctly was to set In Out markers on each clip in turn, select Render In Out and add all the separate clips to the render queue.
It's pretty simple: render "Entire Timeline" will render the entire render timeline from start to finish. If your render timeline is unchanged from the overall project timeline (i.e., what you see in the Edit page), the rendered file will be the entire timeline, no breaks.

If you want to render, say, four subsets of your master timeline as four separate videos, you have to modify the render timeline -- that's why there's a separate render timeline to allow you to pick and choose exactly which portions of your master timeline you want to render. So if you have four specific sections you want to render as separate videos, you select those sections in the render timeline (by setting in/out points in the render timeline), and when you've set up those in/out points send that section to the render queue. You should still choose to render Entire Timeline, because you're rendering the entire render timeline, not the entire master timeline. Does that make sense?
Old 5 days ago
  #249
Lives for gear
If drift of audio sync is an issue (between camera audio and external audio, which is to become the soundtrack), I can appreciate why anyone might choose to break the complete timeline file into subsets of separate videos....as this would minimize the drift, due to smaller accumulations of variance, with decreased duration of files ?
Old 5 days ago
  #250
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If drift of audio sync is an issue (between camera audio and external audio, which is to become the soundtrack), I can appreciate why anyone might choose to break the complete timeline file into subsets of separate videos..
I think (but could be wrong) that in this case the entire timeline consists of performances of several separate pieces, so David wants to output separate videos, one for each piece.

I assume each performance is one long clip (one camera)...my timelines usually consist of dozens of clips, but I suppose if you just set up a camera and film a concert, you could have one clip per piece.
Old 4 days ago
  #251
Lives for gear
 

Is anyone planning on trying the DR 16 that is now in beta testing. Apparently the new DR16 is a lot more than the usual tweak: it is a new platform that offers a streamlined work flow that is much more intuitive. The changes are an effort to offer much quicker pro results for processing multiple clips simultaneously. There will certainly need to be an adjustment period for bug fixes however I am hopeful the new platform can sort out these issues quickly. I am planning to upgrade from DR14 and will wait out the DR16 bug corrections.
Hugh
Old 4 days ago
  #252
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post

And it doesn't work.
See other posters above.
There are several ways you could achieve what you want to achieve.
It's more operator error than a failing of Resolve.
Old 4 days ago
  #253
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Is anyone planning on trying the DR 16 that is now in beta testing. ...
Yes, I'm planning on DR16 Studio. I have DR15 Studio and a Fusion 9 Studio license (dongle) running in both Win10 and High Sierra. The migration to DR16 is a bit more troubling because the database for DR16 is different, and requires a full backup/abandonment of the old DR15, and the DR16 database version is used instead.

The cleaner/easier answer is to simply clone High Sierra, and install DR16 there, leaving my normal Win10 production environment untouched. The two operating systems use separately booted native SSD's.

To explain a bit more about my operating system choices. I have a GTX 1070 8GB video card in the 2010 Mac Pro. Mojave doesn't support nVidia, so I'm sticking with High Sierra. I have hopes/plans for installing a second GTX 1070 in the Mac Pro, and am currently working on some ancillary migration projects (GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt, and RME MADIface ExpressCard/PCIe) that will be documented in upcoming articles on my website. Stay tuned, the parts have arrived.
Old 4 days ago
  #254
Gear Addict
 

I'm using the Resolve 16 beta on my "test" computer (a below-spec Mac Mini); I have active projects underway on my production machine so am planning to keep it on Resolve 15 at least until 16 is out of beta.

Honestly, with Resolve there's not a big difference between beta and official releases anyway; the official releases have their share of bugs. I've been lucky with v. 15, but some users (esp. on Windows) reported steadily worsening performance with each update.

So far I haven't encountered problems with the v. 16 beta, which is a good sign, but many users are reporting bugs, especially on Windows machines and with certain GPUs.

There are useful innovations in v. 16, especially the "cut" page, which is really an assembly page for timelines that can serve as the first step before deeper edits and refinements in the Edit page. A lot of people are saying it's Resolve's attempt to copy Final Cut pro, but people saying that haven't used Final Cut Pro...there are superficial similarities but BMD's CEO Grant Petty was aiming more to recapture some of the efficiencies he remembered from assembling timelines with actual tape.

The Fairlight DAW has some improvements, and they've redone the scopes and added some AI features to the color page. The Fusion integration is reportedly more reliable and less prone to crashing.

If you're upgrading from v. 14 be sure to check the configuration guide to see if your computer can handle it; the requirements for running Resolve have changed considerably since v. 14. CPU and RAM are secondary considerations; the most important limiting factor is the GPU.
Old 4 days ago
  #255
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
See other posters above.
There are several ways you could achieve what you want to achieve.
Hi Chris, yes, as I said, I got it to work by sequentially defining In-Out boundaries and loading each time into the queue. When this is rendered, I get my audio track.

Quote:
It's more operator error than a failing of Resolve.
Not really, the software could be improved significantly. It will come.

Most timeline rendering from audio programs is done by defining named markers which then form render clips/boundaries, CD tracks, and can be batch exported in one operation. I can't see why video timelines couldn't be done the same way.
Old 3 days ago
  #256
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Hi Chris, yes, as I said, I got it to work by sequentially defining In-Out boundaries and loading each time into the queue. When this is rendered, I get my audio track.
And that's the way it works in Resolve -- you set those in-out boundaries in the render page timeline. Resolve doesn't allow you to set multiple in-out points in the same timeline, but it does allow you to convert an in/out point to a duration marker, and you can have multiple duration markers in the timeline.

If you prefer, you can set up those duration markers in the main timeline on the Edit page and then use those to easily set your individual in/out points on the render timeline (if snap is turned on, you can snap the playhead to the in and out points of your duration marker range, and then type i for an in-point and o for an out point). Just above the render timeline there's an option to render only the in/out range or the entire timeline; select "in/out range" and add to the render queue. It doesn't take much time. Resolve has this tantalizing option in the "Mark" menu to "set in/out from duration marker" but while this works fine on the Edit page I can't see a way to make it work on the Render timeline.

As you point out, you can't batch render all your duration marker ranges; instead you have to transform each duration marker range to in/out points one at a time on the render timeline and add them individually to the render queue.
Old 3 days ago
  #257
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
And that's the way it works in Resolve -- you set those in-out boundaries in the render page timeline.
Sounds incredibly clunky and retrograde....is there any sort of 'feature request' Resolve forum where the masses can express their dislike and call for improved efficiencies and functionality, similar the the equivalent forum in Reaper, for example ?
Old 3 days ago
  #258
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Sounds incredibly clunky and retrograde....is there any sort of 'feature request' Resolve forum where the masses can express their dislike and call for improved efficiencies and functionality, similar the the equivalent forum in Reaper, for example ?
Yep, on the Davinci Resolve forum page there are threads for feature requests for the next version. There's no formalized bug reporting system but Resolve's engineers and product manager are present on the forum and they do take note and often respond. Like Reaper, Resolve is a largely user-driven product; most of what's there is there because users requested it; the product developers also spend time with people in the field to learn their workflows. As with Reaper this also leads to complex menus and feature bloat, but you can of course pick and choose what you use and you can customize the workspaces to your liking.

I don't think setting in/out points in the Render timeline is very clunky at all, though -- the only clunky part is that you can't simply say "batch-render all duration markers at once." The market for that capability is probably very small and if you already have duration markers set up it takes only 5-10 seconds to set in-and-out points to them (I tried it and timed it).

One key thing to remember with Resolve is that its original market was mainly Hollywood studios where every step of the process is compartmentalized: one person holds the hammer, the other the nail. People who work on the Edit page would rarely go to the Color page or the Fairlight page, for example -- that's not their job. So each page has its own timeline that you can customize however you like -- there's a main timeline that runs across the project, but a colorist might set up groups and filter the timeline only to show a particular group. Similarly, whoever's in charge of deliverables is going to work with the Render timeline and set in/out points there.
Old 2 days ago
  #259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
And that's the way it works in Resolve -- you set those in-out boundaries in the render page timeline. Resolve doesn't allow you to set multiple in-out points in the same timeline, but it does allow you to convert an in/out point to a duration marker, and you can have multiple duration markers in the timeline.
I haven't done this myself, but you can create multiple timelines in the same project. Obviously this would be unworkable with dozens of small clips, but if editing a concert for example, could you not create a separate timeline for each song (in the same project), then add each timeline to the render queue?
Which then removes the need to make in and out markers for a dozen clips.
Old 2 days ago
  #260
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I haven't done this myself, but you can create multiple timelines in the same project. Obviously this would be unworkable with dozens of small clips, but if editing a concert for example, could you not create a separate timeline for each song (in the same project), then add each timeline to the render queue?
That is the most elegant and simple solution, I should have thought of that myself!
Old 2 days ago
  #261
Lives for gear
 

Ideally if one could attach the separate audio track to the media clip outside the timeline (on the media page) that would be ideal. I have tried the Audio Sync tool (matching Waveform) according to the manual, and even with the pretty much perfect match between camera audio and separate audio, sync always fails, "No match was found when attempting to sync these clips."
Old 2 days ago
  #262
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Ideally if one could attach the separate audio track to the media clip outside the timeline (on the media page) that would be ideal. I have tried the Audio Sync tool (matching Waveform) according to the manual, and even with the pretty much perfect match between camera audio and separate audio, sync always fails, "No match was found when attempting to sync these clips."
Sync via waveform in the media pool usually works perfectly for me but I know many users have reported failures. I do try, when possible, to do a double-finger snap or clap at the outset but even in cases (like concerts) where that's not possible Resolve can usually match the waveforms. This is something that might work better in the Mac version; I haven't tried it on my Windows machine as my Windows computer is way below spec for Resolve.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump