The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why does video editing software suck so deeply? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th February 2017
Uh yeah, I actually answered your points at the time - weeks ago.
Plus and minus slider in the edit window to expand the visual length of the waveform. Simply drag up and down on the bottom of the audio channel to increase and decrease the height of the waveform.
there is also a waveform editor should you need to inspect the audio on it's own.
All very simple and straight forward. mentioned in the manual (of course) and covered in several free Youtube videos.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Uh yeah, I actually answered your points at the time - weeks ago.
Plus and minus slider in the edit window to expand the visual length of the waveform. Simply drag up and down on the bottom of the audio channel to increase and decrease the height of the waveform.
there is also a waveform editor should you need to inspect the audio on it's own.
All very simple and straight forward. mentioned in the manual (of course) and covered in several free Youtube videos.
Thanks Chris, I will try this again. I missed your first explanations because they were cursory.

I watched two YouTube vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUlxpk67Qaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbetgkU_YnY

and I read chapter 9 in this manual.
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.co...2015-07-27.pdf

and did not see the waveform height adjustment within an audio lane discussed or explained anywhere.

So I must have missed something.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Thanks Chris, I will try this again. I missed your first explanations because they were cursory.

and did not see the waveform height adjustment within an audio lane discussed or explained anywhere.

David, I'll butt in. You might consult the most recent Reference Manual (Oct. 2016) -- the one you linked is way out of date -- unless you're working in an outdated version of Resolve.

Also, the information that Resolve displays on a monitor is resolution dependent. That is, if you're on a laptop or small monitor, for instance, Resolve will not display a lot of information that would otherwise be exposed on, say, a 30" monitor. I don't know whether that affects display of audio waveforms on the timeline, but it might. It certainly will affect what else you see in Resolve.

Finally, any track on a Resolve timeline in the edit tab can be expanded vertically (i.e, increase its height) by clicking and dragging its bottom 'edge' downward. The manual (Oct. 2016) explains this running from page 372. I think this is exactly what Chris explained already.

Note that track vertical expansion is not unlimited: Resolve imposes a vertical limit, which I find frustrating sometimes. In my DAW, I can vertically expand a single track to monitor height, which is useful for closely inspecting portions of a waveform on a particular clip. Not so in Resolve, so far as the edit tab allows. I would be very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. I can't speak to additional audio features in Resolve because I avoid Resolve for audio purposes other than occasional sync to video.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Here are two listings of many Resolve tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tk74Q1ynf5fZzQ
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tk74Q1ynf5fZzQ (the first video you linked above is from this set)

Or, if you prefer, a 34-minute long "crash course":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgTRPXsgv-I

Finally, some good tips to improve Resolve's performance:
How to improve DaVinci Resolve 12 performance - Time in Pixels
Old 15th February 2017
I'm on a 27" monitor.
Both the length and vertical adjustments have a finite amount in Resolve 12.5.

Nudging the audio tends to be at a 1 frame rate, which is annoying. Although there are many different ways to move audio about and/or sync it on the media page (before the edit).
There are a few annoying things about Resolve, but it is an amazingly flexible and customisable product.... for a freebie.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Nut

The paid course of Ripple training (freebie samplers to which voltronic linked) is suggested on BMD's Resolve forum. Repeatedly. By color-grading professionals who participate in the forum.

I took a comprehensive course on Lynda.com to learn Resolve the first time, and I'm working through yet another now to sharpen my skills. If you're going to spend regular time in an application as deep as Resolve, I think your time is well spent first to work through a systematic course. For instance, viewing a tutorial on organizing the edit tab workspace in Resolve would have answered questions about track height and many other limitations imposed by Resolve. I fully realize that others learn differently, such as sitting down with the manual only or snacking on Youtube videos on specific sub-topics.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrReid View Post
Finally, any track on a Resolve timeline in the edit tab can be expanded vertically (i.e, increase its height) by clicking and dragging its bottom 'edge' downward. The manual (Oct. 2016) explains this running from page 372. I think this is exactly what Chris explained already.
Thanks to all. But this is not what I am referring to I think. I am familiar with changing the height of a timeline lane.

What I need to do is vertically zoom the audio waveform within the timeline lane, so I can see the bumps better. I don't want to change the audio gain, just zoom the waveform display. Classical music has high dynamic range, dialog doesn't.

This is easy in all audio DAW's (and fundamental) but I cannot see how to do it in Resolve. Sorry.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks to all. But this is not what I am referring to I think. I am familiar with changing the height of a timeline lane.

What I need to do is vertically zoom the audio waveform within the timeline lane, so I can see the bumps better. I don't want to change the audio gain, just zoom the waveform display. Classical music has high dynamic range, dialog doesn't.

This is easy in all audio DAW's (and fundamental) but I cannot see how to do it in Resolve. Sorry.

Thanks for your patience.
Ah, I understand. Apologies for talking past you. No, I don't think Resolve will do that. I just tried looking for this feature in my DAW (Vegas) and I couldn't find it, either, though I would be most interested to find that adjustment buried somewhere in the settings.

EDIT: Well, thanks to you, good sir, I did ferret out this most useful setting in my DAW, well more 10 years after I started using it.
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:

What I need to do is vertically zoom the audio waveform within the timeline lane, so I can see the bumps better. I don't want to change the audio gain, just zoom the waveform display.
Yes, that's exactly what happens when you drag the audio lane down.
There is NO change in gain (volume), just a largening of the audio waveform (visually).
I don't really know why you persist in this complaint that you don't want to change the gain.
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrReid View Post
The paid course of Ripple training (freebie samplers to which voltronic linked) is suggested on BMD's Resolve forum. Repeatedly. By color-grading professionals who participate in the forum.
I have used Ripple training.
There are actually three or four different Resolve training courses on Ripple, concentrating on different aspects of Resolve. Ripple also have free lessons and tip videos.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't really know why you persist in this complaint that you don't want to change the gain.
Its very simple. There is no Y-axis zoom (magnification) on audio tracks. Its OK to not understand, but don't dismiss the idea as a result.
Old 16th February 2017
You can expand up, making the waveform higher. You can expand across, making the waveform longer.
What other expansion is there? Excuse me for being dense (sincerely).

Also, if you double click on the waveform, you can see it in a separate window (above the timeline in the edit page) with up to 100% zoom.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can expand up, making the waveform higher. You can expand across, making the waveform longer.
What other expansion is there? Excuse me for being dense (sincerely).

Also, if you double click on the waveform, you can see it in a separate window (above the timeline in the edit page) with up to 100% zoom.
No problems, Chris, its all good discussion.

I have clip audio that is "quiet", for example, and down in the bottom of the audio lane, I can't see starting notes etc with enough detail to line up confidently with the separate audio track.

So I wish to magnify the Y-axis to blow up the audio waveform display so I can see the waveform more clearly. For example, if the full scale amplitude of the Y axis is 1 volt, I want to make it 0.1V or magnify the waveform display by 10 times. I am not changing the gain, just the waveform display or graph full scale.

Once it is blown up and zoomed, I can line it up with the other audio track accurately. A separate window is not useful as I need to line up two audio tracks together.

This is fundamental in audio software and available in all the major DAW's for examining waveforms in great detail. Hence my surprise and frustration when it is so difficult or not possible in video software.
Old 16th February 2017
Sorry, still confused.
If you drag down on the audio lane, the waveform grows in visual size (becomes bigger and therefore easier to see). No gain changes, just visual.
This is how I sync two audio lanes (my on camera audio with my separately recorded audio).

In addition, there are three separate ways (two of them automatic i think) to sync audio to picture in Resolve's media page. So have all your audio correctly synced (and locked) before you get to the edit function.
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sorry, still confused.
If you drag down on the audio lane, the waveform grows in visual size (becomes bigger and therefore easier to see). No gain changes, just visual.
This is how I sync two audio lanes (my on camera audio with my separately recorded audio).

In addition, there are three separate ways (two of them automatic i think) to sync audio to picture in Resolve's media page. So have all your audio correctly synced (and locked) before you get to the edit function.
It finally dawned on me that David likely wants to sync external audio with camera scratch audio on the edit page without having to vertically increase the height of an audio track, i.e., dragging its lower edge lower. For large dynamic range audio, it would be useful for this purpose to vertically magnify the display of an audio waveform within an audio clip. My DAW will do this, for instance.

Here, Resolve does not vertically magnify the waveform within a clip and without changing the track vertical height. Double-clicking on an audio clip on the edit page indeed displays that waveform in a separate window, but I don't think this would be useful, especially if (and I haven't verified this) Resolve allows only 1 frame shifts of audio on the timeline. These perceived limitations probably results from Resolves 'expectation' that a user will sync audio by other means, i.e., time code, auto-analysis of waveforms, etc. on the media page, BEFORE the user gets around to editing. There is a satisfying and good internal logic to this workflow, but it does prevent David from doing what he wants to do on the edit page.
Old 16th February 2017
That's probably right.
The best place to do this is on the media page (as you say).
I do sync audio visually on the edit page, but my audio probably has more clear transients.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ahem. Edius 9.3 cannot plot or show the audio waveform for the first two channels of the HDMI audio recorded on the Inferno. Makes separate audio much more tricky to align. At least ProRes is wonderful now in Edius. But Edius still cannot transcode to H264 in any quality. Handbrake saves the day and has to be used for publishing.

Installed Resolve 15, worked a couple of times, now doesn't start, crashes on load. Reinstalled, no change.

Still a mess. The saga continues ...
Old 1 week ago
Are you using Resolve 15.1?
Are you using the standard (lite) version, not 'Studio'?
Is it an issue with your computer? I have been using Resolve since I think version 10 or 11, on a fairly under powered iMac and now on a MacBook Pro and NEVER had Resolve crash or refuse to open.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

R 15.1.2008, the free one. I certainly wouldn't pay for it yet.
Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Resolve 15 Will Not Start Win 10
Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Can't Start DaVinci 15
Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Resolve not starting - Windows
Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Resolve Studio 15 does not start

Seems I am not alone. Obviously someone decided my graphics card is not worthy anymore, even though it was working for a while just fine.

When they get the bugs ironed out I might consider purchase or just get a BMPCC4K and get it with that.

But not at the moment.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Good results with Resolve may depend upon a GPU up grade: It really is no big deal when compared to the annual expense of maintaining Premier Pro!
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
R 15.1.2008, the free one. I certainly wouldn't pay for it yet.
The common denominator there seems to be Windows.
I've never had a single issue with Mac OS.

My iMac didn't have a great graphics card and Resolve still worked just fine, but I checked compatibility on the Blackmagic site before I bought my new MacBook Pro.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

My iMac didn't have a great graphics card and Resolve still worked just fine, but I checked compatibility on the Blackmagic site before I bought my new MacBook Pro.
Be careful upgrading your Mac OS. The newest Mac OS 10.14: Mojave requires some very specific graphic cards in order to work correctly. See Why macOS Mojave requires Metal -- and deprecates OpenGL

I have a MacPro mid 2012 and I cannot find a graphic card that will work with Mohave. I guess it is either upgrade the the whole MacPro (not financially possible) or run with the current OS from now on.

Adobe has just informed me that in order to go forward with Premier Pro we have to upgrade to Mohave. Not sure what to do.

Apple is starting to piss me off.

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 1 week ago at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Problems with uploading 504 error
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Unlikely to be either. If BMD cannot get Resolve to run or even start reliably on an 8th Gen Intel i7 Hexcore with 630UHD graphics with W10 then its not ready for prime time.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 1 week ago at 10:10 PM..
Old 1 week ago
But many thousand of people are using it happily.
Look at Youtube. Dozens of Resolve users using completely different set ups and computers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But many thousand of people are using it happily.
Look at Youtube. Dozens of Resolve users using completely different set ups and computers.
and with cool looking, computer illiterate, fashion models with Macs on the website. Encouraging.

But then there's this.
Operating system market share
Old 1 week ago
What about market share in the creative industries?

But it doesn’t take a genius to work out you’ve had a downer on Resolve since your first post.
Shame, because it’s fantastic and free!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
and with cool looking, computer illiterate, fashion models with Macs on the website.
That made me laugh out loud!

Quote:
But then there's this.
Sobering - but then we must remember that the most powerful PCs out-gun any Macs available. A PC running Win10-Pro and built specifically to run Resolve is the answer.

Quote:
What about market share in the creative industries?
I'm seeing more and more PCs where before only Macs used to stand.

Quote:
it’s fantastic and free!
And with the addition of Fairlight, getting better and better.
Old 1 week ago
Maybe BMD has an issue with PC users, I don’t know.
I’m just saying I’ve been using the free version of Resolve for at least 8 years, on an under powered iMac and now on a mid-level refurbished Macbook Pro.
I’m a musician, not a film maker, film editor or colourist. But when I use Resolve, typically five or six times a year tops, it never causes me any issues.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got R15 going again. Uninstalled all, removed all reg entries and Program Data files. Reinstalled and chose not to Install Panels. Fires up again.

Started new concert video, added separate audio tracks, muted camera tracks, aligned separate audio tracks, playback from Timeline is fine.

Went to Deliver, Render individual clips, no audio rendered. Turns out if you choose individual clips and timeline output (logical), you get no audio rendered.

What is wrong with these developers and or testers? I am trying to do fundamental basic things.
Old 1 week ago
Did you go to the audio settings tab on the render page?
I output different audio to my camera audio all the time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search