The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

Recording Live Band For First Time Help!
Old 24th February 2007
Here for the gear

Question Recording Live Band For First Time Help!

I'm a little bit lost on recording a live band with a PA system. I've recoded in the studio plenty of times but never live. I was wondering how i would hook all my stuff up through the house PA system and get it back on my screen. I have a MacBook Pro with Protools M-Powered, Firewire 1814 Interface, Presonus Firewire FS, 100-foot 12 channel snake and various mics i.e 2 ATM450's 2 Audix i5, D112, D-6, SM58's etc...any help would be awesome and visuals are always great too. I just want to make sure i give this band what they want but im not too sure on how to run everything back into my computer and still have the House PA system running, its a whole new ball-game and i didnt even realize it....thanks
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Nut

Not much difference from the studio if the console has the outputs. I would normally use the channel outs as my inputs on my interface. Then its just firewire to the computer.

If the console doesn't have the outs. I would just plug my Tascam recorder into the stereo out. Only problem is I'm limited on editing latter.

You really need to know what is available off the board.
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

Remember: in the hall, you hear a mix of P.A. and the band's backline, plus lots of hall reverberation. On the recording you only hear what the mics hear.
That is why you need to get the signal into the computer as clean as possible. That is, get it out of the FOH desk as soon as possible. Best way would be an active splitter to completely bypass the desk, second best is post-gain and pre-everything-else Direct outs. You should not get out of the FOH to the computer post EQ, Insert, Fader, so Channel output will be, well, inconvenient.
For easier setup/wrap, try to use as many FOH mics as you can without getting a bad sound. You might want to put up a few audience mics or a "main pair" somewhere near FOH desk.
Lots have been written about all this on the Remote Possibilities Forum, and a search may be helpful.
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
You might want to put up a few audience mics or a "main pair" somewhere near FOH desk.
QFT. supplmenting the direct outs from the board with an audience pair will yield nice results, and help give the recording a bit of the room sound.
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Addict

The best way is to use a splitter snake to send 2 totally different signals - one for the front of house console, and the other to your recording rig. Unfortunately these are expensive however you may be able to rent one fairly cheaply.

An alternative is to use direct outputs:
If you use direct outputs from the board into the line inputs of the Digimax FS and FW1814, you will also unfortunately get all of the eq and fader settings of the live console.

Yet another way is come straight off of the front of house snake into the Digimax FS. Then send the analog direct outputs of the Digimax to the LINE inputs of the console while also sending the lightpipe outputs of the Digimax to your FW1814.

This will at least give you the purest signal for the recording, however any gain changes you make during the recording will affect the FOH console. So, set your gains carefully at soundcheck.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaqvi
An alternative is to use direct outputs:
If you use direct outputs from the board into the line inputs of the Digimax FS and FW1814, you will also unfortunately get all of the eq and fader settings of the live console.
Not necessarily. Each console is different, so you must find out before hand if you want to go the direct out route. Some are switchable externally, some have internal jumpers, and some are permanently set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaqvi
Yet another way is come straight off of the front of house snake into the Digimax FS. Then send the analog direct outputs of the Digimax to the LINE inputs of the console while also sending the lightpipe outputs of the Digimax to your FW1814.

This will at least give you the purest signal for the recording, however any gain changes you make during the recording will affect the FOH console. So, set your gains carefully at soundcheck.
This is the purest route, but it won't win you any friends with the PA company/house techs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search