The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LS10 - Inexpensive External Mic Upgrade?
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Maniac

LS10 - Inexpensive External Mic Upgrade?

Hello. Currently using an Olympus LS-10 for outdoor field work. Obviously, not capturing anything overly delicate with it...

I've recently started seeing Audio-Technica AT2022 for decent used prices, on the eBay and whatnot. Would this be a significant upgrade to the LS-10's on-board mics? I like the form factor and the fact that it comes with the dedicated XLR-1/8" connector.

Any other low cost options in the stereo mic category that would provide an upgrade, or does it take more coin to really hear a difference from the LS-10 onboards?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The AT2022 has a built in gradual bass roll-off. I understand that the Olympus has what amounts to a bass rumble filter built in. This would seem to be a bad combination. I have found the AT2022 to be hard sounding in the upper midrange and this may be exasperated by its substantial broad present peak. Mating directly to a SONY PCM-M10 resulted in a strident mid/high end. I principally record acoustic music so this may not be so bad in nature recording where it may heighten details. Nonetheless, I have found it quite useful in some musical recording when it is more distant from the performers and if it is properly combined with the right recorder (PCM-D50) and using matching transformers (SHURE A97F) for better signal-to-noise performance. Here is a sample sound clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tito...LOUuc_geYNnLlI
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you are willing to work with two separate mics the Line Audio new CM4 might be worth a try. It is the successor to the highly successful and acclaimed CM3 and a pair would run you a little over $200. (https://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm) They come with mounting clips but you would need a mic bar. I like the Sabra-Sam, cheap and functional. (https://www.amazon.com/Sabra-Som-ST2.../dp/B00080H3FC). Then there is the mic stand, but you would have needed that for the AT2022. Line Audio also offers an OM1 omni mic, available through No Hype also, which is also just over $100 each.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that the Line mics are pretty low output (around 8mV/Pa. Something like an MKH has around 30mV/Pa I think) so depending on what you are recording cheap or noisy mic pres might not be the best to pair with these mics even though they sound decent and are dead cheap. You also need phantom power which I think the LS10 doesn't have.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search