The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , ,

Battery Powered Preamp Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Any idea if the extra work on the chassis is likely to nudge up these rough estimates on pricing?

I am looking forward to compare the Isleta to a Nagra EMP I have, or hearing from someone who has done the same.
The estimated pricing you quoted I believe was for an earlier, potential mono version. If you get the news letter you would have received more current pricing info.

I am aiming to stick to those prices, which requires a careful chassis design. In other words, the extra time is to save money, not increase.

A few folks have compared the ISLETA prototype against some Nagra & SD products. One engineer told me, humorously, that after using ISLETA and then returning to his previous device made him fell like an audio "janitor" I took that as a good sign.
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloAudio View Post
The estimated pricing you quoted I believe was for an earlier, potential mono version. If you get the news letter you would have received more current pricing info.

I am aiming to stick to those prices, which requires a careful chassis design. In other words, the extra time is to save money, not increase.

A few folks have compared the ISLETA prototype against some Nagra & SD products. One engineer told me, humorously, that after using ISLETA and then returning to his previous device made him fell like an audio "janitor" I took that as a good sign.
I understood that pricing was for a mono version (I did not know about any newsletter), and I look forward to the release of the Isleta. Not sure what you meant regarding audio janitor, though no harm is done with joking around.
Old 4th March 2018
Here for the gear

Hi Scott!

Any update on Isleta?

best

jo.
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'd first replace the power switch. Don't get it why such slider switches are used. They tend to be unreliable and cannot be sealed correctly and there's additional dirt ingress due to the front panel cutout. Rotary or toggle switches (with large bushing) are available fully sealed.
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

This janitor is standing by to know more. . .
Old 6th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
This janitor is standing by to know more. . .
If you're a janitor, I must be on a haz-mat team...
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

I use Nagra preamps in the VI and EMP, so if those are for janitors then the Isleta must be for gods . . .
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

no updates?? :(
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Nut

Can't wait to get my hand on one of these, any updates?
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

From all accounts I've heard Pueblo is solid so my guess is they will come out with the Isleta when they are ready to do so. In the meantime we have very fine battery powered preamps such as the Nagra EMP.
Old 20th May 2018
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear
I am looking forward to getting an an Isleta just as soon as they are available. The design looks perfect for field recording.

There is, however, one detail that I hope we can get Scott to address while Isleta is still under development: THE POWER SWITCH.

I travel with my recording stuff internationally, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had electronics that are accidentally switched on during transport. Then you arrive at your recording location and find a dead battery. For example, the Nagra Seven is notorious for this. Unless you have it in a Pelican case, which usually isn’t practical for travel, it is easily switched on while being transported. Normally, I carry it in a padded BOOQ backpack, wrapped in a Domke padded Velcro wrap. I would carry the Isleta in the same way. With airline restrictions as they are, there are few other choices. You need to be able to carry on your recorder, preamp and mics and Pelican cases just are often too bulky, not to mention the additional attention and aggravation they attract at customs.

I would like to suggest to Scott some sort of safety switch arrangement. Either an additional “arming” switch on the back of the unit which, when enabled, would allow you to turn on power via the front panel switch. Or, some kind of mechanical lock on the front panel switch. Without this, I think the power switch would have to be taped down with gaffer tape, which is what I have to do on the Seven. Sometimes with the Seven, I just remove the battery pack, but that will not be possible with Isleta.

How about it, Scott?
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

You have a point, but on the other hand, the battery life of the Isleta will be at least 50 operating hours. What will the depletion be switched on, but without input signal & no phantom power ? Probably it can be on doing nothing for 500+ hours.

Will you travel to mars ?

My main concern is the unit accidentally being switched off - on stage.
Old 29th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
I would like to suggest to Scott some sort of safety switch arrangement. Either an additional “arming” switch on the back of the unit which, when enabled, would allow you to turn on power via the front panel switch. Or, some kind of mechanical lock on the front panel switch. Without this, I think the power switch would have to be taped down with gaffer tape, which is what I have to do on the Seven. Sometimes with the Seven, I just remove the battery pack, but that will not be possible with Isleta.

How about it, Scott?
Thanks for your suggestions, bwanajim. That is a legit concern.

I do not believe this will be an issue with ISLETA. All its controls will be recessed/sheltered by the chassis so unintended switch motion should be very unlikely. As an additional precaution while in transit, you could simply unplug the batteries. The battery compartment will be easily accessible by hand, without needing any tools.
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear
Thanks, Scott. That's good to know.

Speaking of batteries, the info on your site states that the price does not include batteries. Will Isleta use a type of battery that we can easily source on our own? Or will you provide them as an additional option? I assume they will be LiFePo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloAudio View Post
Thanks for your suggestions, bwanajim. That is a legit concern.

I do not believe this will be an issue with ISLETA. All its controls will be recessed/sheltered by the chassis so unintended switch motion should be very unlikely. As an additional precaution while in transit, you could simply unplug the batteries. The battery compartment will be easily accessible by hand, without needing any tools.
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear
Hahaha! Well, not quite Mars, but the Isletta will be going with me to some remote places. I have high hopes for it, as it will allow me to use passive ribbons on battery power in remote places for the first time. Those of you who own Nagra VI and Seven may bring up the fact that the on-board preamps in these machines have more than enough gain for ribbons. And while that's true, they don't really sound all that great doing it. The difference between a TRP or RPQ and the Nagra preamps with ribbons is vast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
You have a point, but on the other hand, the battery life of the Isleta will be at least 50 operating hours. What will the depletion be switched on, but without input signal & no phantom power ? Probably it can be on doing nothing for 500+ hours.

Will you travel to mars ?

My main concern is the unit accidentally being switched off - on stage.
Old 31st May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Hahaha! Well, not quite Mars, but the Isletta will be going with me to some remote places.
I was just out in a remote, seldom-visited corner of the desert here in California, using a Nagra SD, and tried to record extremely quiet night ambience. The resulting recordings are just too noisy to make them usable.

I was thinking about the Isleta again as a possible half-step towards getting a blacker background.

Mic selection will be the other key--but that's a different issue.
Old 31st May 2018
Gear Addict

I know this is probably too much, but if the device is transformers on the way out then it would be amazing to have a, premium, mid-side option switch.
Also there are some excellent locking toggle switches that you have to pull out slightly in order to switch. My MPB-502 has them.
Old 24th August 2018
Here for the gear

Good morning Scott,

Do you have any news to report on the release date for the ISLETA preamp? I'm looking forward to purchasing one of these from you when they are released.

thank you,

David
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dactylus View Post
Good morning Scott,

Do you have any news to report on the release date for the ISLETA preamp? I'm looking forward to purchasing one of these from you when they are released.

thank you,

David
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search