The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , ,

Battery Powered Preamp Condenser Microphones
Old 13th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Exactly what I'm envisioning with my new Sonosax R4+. 6 total pres of "ahhhh...."
I can see the same line in scenario with my Aeta 4MinX...
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Nut

Well, much to my delight, the response to these proposed products has been very positive; greater than expected. I have even received unsolicited deposits towards purchase of the future units. WOW!

I have set up special email accounts to keep interested parties up on developments and provide a no-obligation method to reserve product. BTW, these products have now been given names. The battery-powered preamp will be named "ISLETA". The DI will be called "OLLA" (pronounced oi-ya)

Please drop a me a line at either of the relative emails below to get insider news, updates and/or to RSVP future units:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Last edited by PuebloAudio; 17th November 2016 at 02:24 AM..
Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

Just sent my name in.

Am I understanding correctly that the ISLETA is a 2-channel pre?
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just sent my name in.

Am I understanding correctly that the ISLETA is a 2-channel pre?
Thanks for joining, kind sir!

You are correct, I now intend to make a stereo unit.

It seems that the majority is fixated on a stereo configuration. While I still feel sure that mono units would ultimately be more beneficial, I can only manufacture that which customers will buy. That's ok. The customer is always right and I am pleased to please them.
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Addict

Just put down deposits on both units.

I'm super stoked about these...and the icing on the cake is that it's a local-to-me, California business.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula!
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

Another question -- is there settled (final) information about dimensions of the 2-ch pre? Length, width, height, weight (w/ or w/o batteries)?
Old 18th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Another question -- is there settled (final) information about dimensions of the 2-ch pre? Length, width, height, weight (w/ or w/o batteries)?
Dimensions are not finalized yet but will be approximately 6"x8"x2". That is with the batteries inside.

Here is a pic of the stereo prototype being used for a film shoot. This should give a good indication of size.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Powered Preamp-img_0843.jpg  
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Nut

looks good!
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear
Looks huge
My Cooper CS4 has four superb mic amps with MS and linked gains, cost 300 quid
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

And trust me- this is in a whole other league sonically than a Cooper preamp. Just because it is run off of a battery does not mean there is any sonic compromise compared to Scott's full sized pres. It's a ever so slightly different sound, but it is equally good.

--Ben
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

I love that it's a stereo pre. Just sent an email!

-Mike

Last edited by celticrogues; 23rd November 2016 at 10:52 PM..
Old 17th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloAudio View Post
Dimensions are not finalized yet but will be approximately 6"x8"x2". That is with the batteries inside.

Here is a pic of the stereo prototype being used for a film shoot. This should give a good indication of size.
Have you decided yet if the XLR In/Out will be on the rear or the side of the unit?
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Nut

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dactylus View Post
Have you decided yet if the XLR In/Out will be on the rear or the side of the unit?
Hi Dactylus,

The plan is for side mounting. Since portable recorders often have their xlr on the sides it seemed practical to follow suit. Side mounting also simplifies manufacturing thereby increasing affordability of the final product. I am open to further ideas on the matter...

In addition to the transformer-balanced main xlr outs, there will also be an auxiliary unbalanced output on 1/8" mini trs jack. This is a separately buffered, tranformerless output; akin to the Aux Outs of the standard Pueblo range. Useful for feeding a back-up recorder, cue sends, etc.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Dactylus,

The plan is for side mounting. Since portable recorders often have their xlr on the sides it seemed practical to follow suit. Side mounting also simplifies manufacturing thereby increasing affordability of the final product. I am open to further ideas on the matter...

In addition to the transformer-balanced main xlr outs, there will also be an auxiliary unbalanced output on 1/8" mini trs jack. This is a separately buffered, tranformerless output; akin to the Aux Outs of the standard Pueblo range. Useful for feeding a back-up recorder, cue sends, etc.
Perfect. As someone who sometimes records with gear stashed in a bag, side mounted xlrs (and right angle connectors) are preferred. Being able to record to a handheld recorder with a mini jack input is also a desirable feature.

Thanks!
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

I see in the specs that I was emailed when I signed up for the list that the ISLETA will have 0db to 80db of gain, which is super cool.

What is the plan regarding the gain pot on this preamp? Personally, having that much gain on a single pot is a little fiddly for my taste. I love the way the Millennia HV3C and some of the Sonosax mixers (and I'm sure others) deal with gain, where they have a switch to select low, medium, and high gain modes and then a pot to fine tune gain in that mode. Any chance of a feature in that vein?

-Mike
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Nut

ISLETA will have 24 position gain switches (not pots) which programs gain from 0dB to +60dB in 2.5dB steps. Gain matching will be +\- 0.1dB between any channel, any box.

An additional switch will flip in a +20dB gain stage for a total max of +80dB.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
ISLETA will have 24 position gain switches (not pots) which programs gain from 0dB to +60dB in 2.5dB steps. Gain matching will be +\- 0.1dB between any channel, any box.

An additional switch will flip in a +20dB gain stage for a total max of +80dB.
Very cool, sounds great!

-Mike
Old 18th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi Dactylus,

Thank you for the response. I am appreciative of the XLR connections being located on the sides of the unit. I normally record with my gear housed in a gear bag and I use right angle xlr connectors. Looking forward to putting this preamp into the mix!

David
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear
Input impedance?

Scott, what is the input impedance of the ISLETA? Wondering if it will be suitable for passive ribbons.
Old 31st December 2016
Hi Scott,

Could you share the power consumption of the devices, in watts? Assume worst case where they're providing phantom to all microphones.

I'm asking because I could see combining these with a Dante-connected A/D converter and powering all of it using POE if possible.
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Could you share the power consumption...I'm asking because I could see combining these with a Dante-connected A/D converter and powering all of it using POE if possible.
Centralized powering can be an attractive solution for remote recording. I know that many location folks are already invested into healthy central power solutions. I can understand why they would like to take advantage of that investment.

Unfortunately, such systems are not capable of suppling ISLETA's required native power voltages. Further, central powering would defeat the benefits of ISLETA's completely floating operation. Providing an external powering option would increase costs several $100 while decreasing sound quality. That's a lose-lose in my book. Understandably, there are no plans too offer external powering.

This may initially come across as a disappointment. Be reassured that both studio and location engineers who have used ISLETA in practical, real-world gigs have found this concern to be dispelled. The internal batteries provide uber-confident marathon powering and total freedom of preamp placement. Add to that the favorable price of ISLETA (even with the batteries) and I think you will find that, after the first few gigs, previous central power desires become a distant memory.
Old 15th January 2017
Here for the gear

Hello Scott,

Do you have an updated tentative timeline for the release date of the initial run of the Isleta pre? First quarter 2017, second quarter 2017?

thank you,

David
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

need to know SNR
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'll leave specs to Scott, but I can speak to the functional snr of the Pueblo stuff. I own the JR pres (8 of them w/phantom) and I've worked with the prototype of this battery operated one.

It's a preamp that essentially has no noise. It's quiet enough that in a quiet room with quiet mics (say my usual Schoeps, Sennheiser, DPA, etc...) I've had to turn it all the way up to hear room sound and make sure it's on. I crank ribbon mics with it- and still don't have noise issues.

Signal to noise is about the last thing you need to be concerned with when it comes to the Pueblo gear.

-Ben
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dactylus View Post
Hello Scott,

Do you have an updated tentative timeline for the release date of the initial run of the Isleta pre? First quarter 2017, second quarter 2017?

thank you,

David
Hi David,

Most of my energies are presently being directed at the release of the OLLA Hybrid DI box. That product is on track for 1st Quarter 2017 release. Man, oh man am I pumped about that little champion!

ISLETA will follow as quickly behind OLLA as possible. I am striving for 2nd Quarter.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gefell View Post
need to know SNR
At present, I do not have a complete or finalized set of specs. However, I can share some preliminary measurements from which you may infer SNR.

Gain Range: 0dB to +80dB [all gain, no pads]
Gain Matching: ±0.1dB between any channel, any box
EIN: -131dB [gain=+60dB, 50Ω source, 20-20kHz, unweighted]
Max Input or Output: +30dBu [unity gain, 10k load]
Freq. Resp.: 1Hz-200kHz [-3dB], 10Hz-40kHz [±0.1dB]
Common Mode Rejection: >110dB [50Hz, +60dB gain]

Test equipment in the lab, as well as recordists in the real world, affirm the performance of ISLETA is topflight

Last edited by PuebloAudio; 20th January 2017 at 05:22 PM..
Old 19th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi David,

Most of my energies are presently being directed at the release of the OLLA Hybrid DI box. That product is on track for 1st Quarter 2017 release. Man, oh man am I pumped about that little champion!

ISLETA will follow as quickly behind OLLA as possible. I am striving for 2nd Quarter.
Thank you for the update! I'm looking forward to putting the ISLETA to work.

David
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
At present, I do not have a complete or finalized set of specs. However, I can share some preliminary measurements from which you may infer SNR.

Gain Range: 0dB to +80dB [all gain, no pads]
Gain Matching: ±0.1dB between any channel, any box
EIN: -131dB [gain=+60dB, 50Ω source, 20-20kHz, unweighted]
Max Input or Output: +30dBu [unity gain, 10k load]
Freq. Resp.: 1Hz-200kHz [-3dB], 10Hz-40kHz [±0.1dB]

Test equipment in the lab, as well as recordists in the real world, affirm the performance of ISLETA is topflight
Guess i have to order one..
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

STOKED about Pueblo Audio!!

Just finalized a British choir tour where I will need an all battery recording set up.

Of course my order is already in house at Pueblo.

Meanwhile I continue to use a Pueblo Audio 60 volt mic amp with incredible action action.

Thank you, Scott.
Old 26th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Scott, what is the input impedance of the ISLETA? Wondering if it will be suitable for passive ribbons.
Since Scott hasn't mentioned the input impedance yet I thought I'd remark that as we can see from the specs the unit has less input noise (EIN) and the same amount of gain as the AEA RPQ (made for ribbons). But, from what I have read here and elsewhere, that input impedance is also a very important factor.

However, from my experience noise problems with ribbons hasn't been the preamp, but RF and magnetic induction issues in spaces and places—not to mention dirty power.

I bet the ISLETA will work great, especially since it is floating from **** location power.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search