The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Using the Sonosax AD8+ to frontend the 788T Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

I do use a Sonosax SX-PR mini mixer. New mic amps are worlds apart from those.

Sonosax has always made great mic preamps and included them in their consoles.

However, these latest mic amps in the AD8+ and the R4+ are new and latest generation mic pres and converters.

I don't have experience with the older gear enough to comment on your question.

Last edited by Plush; 17th March 2018 at 03:35 PM..
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
RE SONOSAX SX-AD8+

I have the Sonosax unit here . . .

I saw more Nagra EMP mic amps being made due to demand. Formerly the news was that this unit was discontinued.
Thanks mucho for the information Plush The details you provided help a lot.

That is unfortunate re HS. It doesn't affect me much but I have some other small DAW issues running with HS.

I am trying to move to a workflow with software and hardware that I can also use under Linux. Merging has said they can provide Ravenna/AES67 drivers to allow me to do so. I'll ask Sonosax about this when I test out a unit.

Good news about the EMP too! Maybe this means Nagra will update the EMP software. If memory serves me correctly, the software that came with my unit was written to be used with Win XP. I run that via Wine on OS X, but it would be nice to have a newer version, maybe even one that ran natively on OS X.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
RE SONOSAX SX-AD8+

I have the Sonosax unit here and I really like it. That said I have run into some limitations when using the Sonosax AVB option card. I have a brand new (purchased Jan. 2018) Macbook Pro that came set up with High Sierra.

My Sonosax box works at 48kHz. recording speed but not with 96k or 192k with High Sierra. Sonosax tells me that it does work with older macs that use the Sierra op. system.

At 48Khz. the sound is excellent and very full range. I purchased the Sonosax box to have a preamplifier / ad converter package that has very high dynamic range and extended 90kHz. freq. response at 192.

I hope that Sonosax corrects their AVB driver or that Apple corrects the High Sierra op sys so that I can use the box at my standard 96 and 192 speeds.

I don't know which company needs to do more work on their set up because I cannot tell if it is the fault of the Sonosax AVB option card driver, or a crippled buggy version of High Sierra.

Now to your functionality questions. The AVB option works with Thunderbolt 2 and needs a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet adaptor cables to work with my system. You set up the Sonosax box with a wifi interface:

1. establish a wifi connection with the Sonosax box
2. control the box's sample rate, 48 volt phantom, level meters, low cuts, etc. with the web interface.

NO-one cannot control the box with only an AVB connection to the mac. It is set up to be done through wifi.

3. Unit records with incredibly quiet mic amps and a fantastic sounding a/d converter of MAJOR STATURE. 138dB dynamic range. The real thing.

4. I have not really compared the Sonosax preamps to the Nagra V I preamps.
I have used the Sonosax's mic preamp a/d AES outputs into the Nagra. Sounds outstanding.

I do eventually want to head to obtaining a SONOSAX SX-R4+ recorder. 12-16 channels in a small format machine.

Honestly this is really the way the AD8+ box is made to be used. It is made to mate with the SONOSAX recorder.

SONOSAX sound is MAJOR.

p.s. 6 weeks ago I was at the SONOSAX factory. A great company.
I was also at the Nagra factory. Fantastic visit with red carpet treatment.

I saw more Nagra EMP mic amps being made due to demand. Formerly the news was that this unit was discontinued.
Why didn’t you choose the 6 channel plus mixer? Are the preamps and convertors the same as yours?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search