The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Has anyone tried the Sonosax SX-R4+ yet ? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Addict

Has anyone tried the Sonosax SX-R4+ yet ?

Sonosax SX-R4+ recorder has recently become available, looks like a great machine, has anyone used it yet ? Haven't seen any reviews either. Would like to hear any comments.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Bump this, as I am looking into some possible options and although the price is quite eye-watering the features and quality look amazing. Out of the box it seems cleaner and smaller than the 788T, with more future possibilities for expansion as SD seems like they are closing down the 7-series recorder.

However, the 788T has easy connectivity to a lot of equipment and can be clocked externally and be sent digital signals cleanly, which the Sonosax has some sort of asynchronous sample rate converter, which I don't know what that means but it doesn't sound as transparent, and I hope somebody clears this up for me.

Also, the sonosax has limited mixing and panning options at the moment compared to the mixing attachment to the 788T.
Nagra VI is really big compared to either and expensive in North America.
The aaton cantar is really expensive, ugly and I don't know how it sounds.
The Aeta 4Minx has been discontinued.
Zaxcom seems like the sound quality is mediocre and they don't really compete for music.
I could just buy a second 744T or 702 and just link them up but this would only be a stopgap solution.
I don't trust computers.
Old 1 week ago
A guy I know in the professional sound recording community I know here in NZ was recently the first (and only) person in the country to buy one. He likes it. Was an upgrade from his SQN/F8 setup.

Personally I suppose I kinda think of it as like a 688 but much more compact? It is impressively small when you see it in person.

However for myself it is financially out of reach, and I'll be buying the newly announced Zoom F8n soon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I made a move to Sonosax SX-R4+ and the SX-AD8+, the 8 channel preamp and a/d converter --it is the companion to the R4+ and allows 12 channels of mic inputs.

Sound is incredible and the converters offer very high dynamic range recording.

Inputs on the machine take microphone in and AES42 in for a digital microphone if you like.

Hopefully, Sonosax will come out with the fader panel for the R4+ so that mixing can be done as you are recording.

The Sonosax recorder is an acquisition machine, not a mixing machine.

It records to two SD cards--the second card mirroring the recordings on the fist card.

Sound is mindblowed.

Last edited by Plush; 1 week ago at 03:04 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I talked to sonosax today and the clock is accurate to 0.2ppm (unfortunately no talk about jitter however). No wordclock because it might compramise the excellent internal clock, according to them.
The AES input resamplers are not technically bit transparent but accurate to 140db according to their tests. They make excellent products so I doubt the digital capture is deficient.
I mean even Prism sound manuals say that the cabling and connectors on and between most interfaces is a limiting factor to transmission quality, so how bit-transparent can anything be?
I will get a demo in the coming weeks from Montreal.

How do the preamps compare to the best Hudson? Heijnis/Pueblo/Gordon, etc.
Are you still running the Nagra?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

As long as one understands what the R4+is and what it is for, the recordist will get the best results. It is really only a "capture device." So running on internal clock is proper. It is not made to feed multiple other destinations, it is not made to do a mix (until the LC8+ fader panel is released), it is not to act as a master clock for other devices.

Only an outstanding recorder. I was attracted by its sound, by its size, and by its fantastic 12 or 16 channel recording capabilities. Also I like the fact that the inputs can be used with AES42 digital mics.

Mic preamplilfiers on the R4+ are truly remarkable. Very clean and uncolored, neutral and timbre accurate. I do still use the Nagra VI and of course it is still excellent. The Nagra preamps are warmer sounding than Sonosax but not really colored as some have asserted. Pueblo is king of depth and detail and Gordon king of excellent sound and interfacing with other gear.

Sonosax is its own clean presentation and with the Sonosax heritage of their incredible mixing consoles and mic amp design, offers the world's most advanced recorder as a PACKAGE.

Excellence is excellence--set up weighs less than 3 pounds with the AD8+ 8 channel mic preamp / ad converter box attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone tried the Sonosax SX-R4+ yet ?-sonosax-ad8-.jpg   Has anyone tried the Sonosax SX-R4+ yet ?-sonosax-mixing-panel.jpg  

Last edited by Plush; 4 days ago at 07:34 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search