The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags:

Has anyone tried the Sonosax SX-R4+ yet ?
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Well DSD has 64 times the sample rate of 16/44, records the stream of pulses directly, rather than the cruder step increments, and can store that, and play it back directly. No anti-aliasing filters needed, and ostensibly much better dynamic range and lower noise, meaning better-quality sound ? Not that 2 simple diagrams are going to tell you all that, however...
The cruder steps do not exist, only in storage. Dsd needs filtering, unless you like fires. 16 bit noise shaped audio almost matches the dynamic range, and thus the noise floorin the audible band.
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
I don't own a Sonosax recorder, so this is a bit OT, but listening to both emenelton's and earcatcher's samples is an interesting exercise. For me, it points to different aesthetic and technical choices. The Schubert is rollicking and exciting and the technical production is too - a Decca tree, spaced pairs as flankers, a ribbon on the tympani, some 4-point edits, and probably some EQ, time/phase adjustment...a BIG recording in all senses. Well done. But I do hear some problems on the high strings, and the piccolo, very obviously. The Beethoven is typically dark (well, to my taste anyway) but the different parts are alive and well defined in earcatcher's recording, even with the pleasantly reverberant acoustic; everything is there in the soup without too much salt or pepper and I can taste the different vegetables. This is a very 'pure' recording, both tonally and with regard to the foibles of gut strings and a student orchestra. Thank you to both of the "E's" for posting these samples.

Full disclosure: I almost always prefer coincident and near-coincident recordings to those using spaced omnis...the endless debate continues.
I am mostly interested in the title and purpose of the Sonosax. There are people here who have the Nagra VI, 4Minx, Sonosax...it would be great if they posted samples comparing and let the recordings speak for themselves. But, the will to do it rests with them.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
I am mostly interested in the title and purpose of the Sonosax. There are people here who have the Nagra VI, 4Minx, Sonosax...it would be great if they posted samples comparing and let the recordings speak for themselves. But, the will to do it rests with them.
No. The responsibility rests with YOU to up your curiousity and spend some money. Rent a Sonosax and compare it yourself to your Nog VI.

We don’t do your work for you. Suit Up!

It’s called engineering.
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 View Post
Sonosax SX-R4+ recorder has recently become available, looks like a great machine, has anyone used it yet ? Haven't seen any reviews either. Would like to hear any comments.
I recently purchased one and have found it to be exceptional. Plush noted the primary characteristics early in this thread, and my experience so far mirrors his description.

Technically, the unit is state-of-the-art. Different exists, but perhaps not better. The preamps and associated ADC work transparently.

What I appreciate about the recorder is its simplicity. I have a full orchestral composing DAW rig, a studio, etc. It's not that I can't run a full computer based rig. It is very much that I don't have to! The Sonosax SX-4+ is a recorder. You plug microphone cables into it, put mics at the other end of the wires, arm tracks and slide a switch to record. That's it. It then offers technical excellence that will deliver extreme accuracy to the limits of my microphone technique and the quality of the performance and the space. It doesn't punch in, or have a click track. It just records audio as well as it can be done.

It is like a manual Leica camera or an Arri digital cinema camera. it doesn't have a lot of features. It doesn't need a lot of features. The features it has are executed to the limit of current technology, and as directly and simply as possible.

This is big when I am recording myself at the piano. Starting a recording involves sliding a switch to the right momentarily. That's it. Slide it the other way to stop. Zero computer, no mousing around. Nothing to break musical flow. It just does one thing - record audio. The directness and simplicity are a feature, not a bug. This is a recorder I can run while in "musician mode". In "engineer mode", it is so simple that all focus is on listening, not on gear.

I purchased a non-US unit while traveling overseas so that I could have the full dynamic range version. I will do the same if I later add an AD-8+.

Other factors for me:
- It is battery powered and the batteries last 5 hours or so with all four channels going at 192/24 and running phantom power. This is the first time that I have recorded without mains power and I am sold.
- It does timecode. I got a Tentacle Sync box for my GH5, and it was easy to put everything together afterwards.
- I have the analog output option that is perfect for running to a set of powered monitor speakers to make a small control room
- the recordings are exceptionally clean and noise free.
- I haven't used the iPad wireless functionality yet, but did verify that it works. Seems like an easy way to input take metadata.
- I know one can mix on it. I don't use it for dialog like a film person would, so I can't comment on that. For music, I can get a quality balance, tone, etc. and then do final mix in the studio, so I'm not super focused on "on-site" mix to two-track.
- I intend to add digital mics next year, so the AES-42 compatible inputs are a nice touch

I now want the AD-8+ to add more channels. But even more, I want the Dante card since the studio routing is all Dante - then this unit will offer four exceptional clean mic pre's on the studio network, and be the default "clean pre" choice.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by niversen View Post
I purchased a non-US unit while traveling overseas so that I could have the full dynamic range version. I will do the same if I later add an AD-8+.
Nice writeup.

I think I read somewhere, perhaps the Sonosax Users group, that because the AD-8+ isn't a recorder Sonosax is able to sell the full dynamic range version worldwide, including the US.

Of course double check with a US shop.
Old 14th July 2019
AB3
Lives for gear

Can someone clearly explain this legal issue involved. I would like to research it. It can be a PM if desired.
Thanks,
AB
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear
Some countries are more deserving of dynamic range than others ?
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

First off, for niversen, the AD8+ is full 135dB dynamic range and can be sold in the US.

Short version background is that Zaxcom threatened a lawsuit against Sonosax for allegedly copying Zaxcom's patent for a dual a/d converter circuit.

To avoid getting into a legal fight, Sonosax chose to not sell the high dynamic range model in the US.

One can get their US model "unlocked" for full 135 dynamic range, by visiting a non US dealer and having this functionality "unlocked" by inputting a software key. Every machine is already capable of the high dynamic range performance; the US version dialed down for the above reasons.

Upon reading and discussion with the parties involved, it is my opinion that the lawsuit has no merit whatsoever. Zaxcom is wrong on the facts and wrong on the merits. Zaxcom has sued many other manufacturers due to their paranoia and greed.
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

What is so special about that patent? Gain staging AD's exist over 25 years, Prism was one of the first on the market.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, the gain-ranging design is from the early 90's. That is part of the absurdity of Zaxcom's claims.
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
First off, for niversen, the AD8+ is full 135dB dynamic range and can be sold in the US.
Thank you. I had noticed on the website that it was only the recorder that had the note about US version. When I am ready to add that, it is certainly easier to shop here!
Old 4 weeks ago
LvE
Here for the gear

I'm hoping they will expand their ethernet protocol options.
I think thusfar avb is released, but a the ravenna option would be nice
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

Short version background is that Zaxcom threatened a lawsuit against Sonosax for allegedly copying Zaxcom's patent for a dual a/d converter circuit.

(...).
But if so, why doesn't Zoom seem to have a problem with the new F6 with a dual a/d converter circuit?

A quote from Zoom's webpage announcing the F6:

Quote:
The Zoom F6 is the first professional field recorder to feature both 32-bit float recording and dual AD converters, providing an unprecedented amount of dynamic range.
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...field-recorder
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No, I don’t know anything about that one. I am not an insider in this dispute. I have a low opinion of Zoom and it’s owner because of his litigious bent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

is zaxcom neverclip only 24/48 ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search